• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DH just got laid-off work, so we are thinking about BUDGET road trip; Toronto to WDW

I would suggest Sky Auction I got a 2 bedroom timeshare with a full kitchen for less than $300 for the week. We are leaving Sunday.

OP, I take my appliances every time we go, to pretty much any hotel. I have never had a problem. Technically, yes, you could burn down the hotel but really, what are the chances. I would be more worried, about Joe Blow, falling asleep with a cigarette in his hand, in the room beside me, than I would you using your microwave. Don't forget your toaster as well. Great for waffles and pop tarts. And even toasted sandwiches. I always take my electric kettle as well. I am a tea-a-holic, and nobody makes a meaner cup of tea than me;) ! By the way...we went last year when DH was between jobs and it was an awesome vacation!!! I am from Ontario too and we really enjoy the ride down. It kind of builds the excitement for two extra days! Have fun.......

OP, I take my appliances every time we go, to pretty much any hotel. I have never had a problem. Technically, yes, you could burn down the hotel but really, what are the chances. I would be more worried, about Joe Blow, falling asleep with a cigarette in his hand, in the room beside me, than I would you using your microwave. Don't forget your toaster as well. Great for waffles and pop tarts. And even toasted sandwiches. I always take my electric kettle as well. I am a tea-a-holic, and nobody makes a meaner cup of tea than me;) ! By the way...we went last year when DH was between jobs and it was an awesome vacation!!! I am from Ontario too and we really enjoy the ride down. It kind of builds the excitement for two extra days! Have fun.......

No one ever thinks it's a a problem until it really happens. Personally, I would be so beyond ticked if there was a fire in my hotel because someone thought they were above the fire codes and brought their appliances in, all to save a buck. You want those conveniences, then stay in a suite accomodation to have them. Don't endanger everyone else to preserve your budget.

I'm sorry but this topic sounds like an oxymoron, Husband gets laid off and you take a vacation? Doesn't sound right to me but I wish you well in your endeavors

JackJack08- Are you serious? So, according to you, it's o.k. to bend the rules as long as you don't get caught or burn the hotel down. :( Rules are everywhere for certain reasons. They also apply to us all. Not to be mean, but if you need to take that much stuff to fix your own food, why not save up longer.

Call me crazy but I think if you compared the price of a 20 day road trip (gas, hotels, food, activities) you could probably afford a nice cruise or a trip to WDW for a week in a moderate resort.

not sure if driving is going to be budget. Do you realize that the price of gas here is $4.00 - $4.50 a gallon? What kind of gas millage do you get on your car?
OP is from Canada, where gas is at least 1.5 times that price at the moment

Microwaves are allowed in WDW hotel rooms. Aside from the suites and DVC villas that have them, we have had them brought to our rooms at the GF, Poly, and BC. They are offered on WDW's website when you book hotels as amenities.

I personally would be much more worried about someone's iron or curling iron left plugged in than a microwave.

Microwaves are allowed in WDW hotel rooms. Aside from the suites and DVC villas that have them, we have had them brought to our rooms at the GF, Poly, and BC. They are offered on WDW's website when you book hotels as amenities.

Yes, the hotel's microwaves are available. You are NOT allowed to bring in your own!

Yes, the hotel's microwaves are available. You are NOT allowed to bring in your own!

Can you cite an actual, specific source for this rule? And what exactly is the difference between a hotel's microwave and your own?

And BTW, we'd never bring our own microwave (not worth the trouble), but I get so tired of the whole "you can't have a microwave, you might burn the place down" from the same people who use irons and curling irons and think nothing of it -- a microwave turns off when not in use; most irons/curling irons do not.

I personally would be much more worried about someone's iron or curling iron left plugged in than a microwave.

Yes, the Disney owned ones are allowed. The ones provided according to Disney and the fire code regulations.

Frankly, I believe if you cannot afford a hotel room with those amenities, then you need to save more until you can, rather than violate the rules for your own selfish purposes.

Hi All ~ With DH laid-off, we have time to do a 2.5-4 week road trip from Toronto to WDW. This is the BUDGET plan so far. I'd love your advice on how to make a dollar stretch!

Day 1, drive to Morganville, WV, Hotel $75, with pool and breakky
Day 2-4, stay for free at brother-in-laws house in Raleigh, NC
Day 5-7, drive to a reasonably price Atlantic Ocean beach in Florida
Day 8-17, drive to Pop Century, can get CAA/AAA rate of about $75 a night. We already have 10 day hoppers with oodles of water park tickets and the $82 Universal ticket deal....I bought these tickets months ago when the Canadian dollar was almost at par.
Day 18, drive to SC stay at an inexpensive hotel
Day 19, drive to south Penn.
Day 20, drive home

We are bringing the following for most meals;

Powered milk or real milk, sugar, coffee, tea, Crystal Light, bread, pbj, bagels, cream cheese, lettuce, dressing, carrots, water, can opener, wash cloth, dish soap, cereal, oatmeal, cookies, pop, light cheese, granola bars, spaghetti, tomato sauce, parmasean cheese, soups, cup-a-soup, crackers, pop corn, frozen veggies, spices, canned tomatoes for stews.

We are bringing a crock pot and microwave.

Can anyone suggest an inexpensive hotel at a Florida beach on the Atlantic Ocean?

Thanks! Sandra

We stay in St. Augustine Beach in this VERY fun, funky campground that also has little trailers you can rent. It's right on the ocean, it has a pool. We normally go with a huge group and just have a blast.

Let me find the name for you....

I feel like this is why so many people are having financial problems now. People overspend way too much. My Dh makes a great living, and I am so thankful for that, but we still live on a budget. Thinking of our children's futures are our upmost priority. We are a young couple, I'm 27, but like to know that we are finacially capable of over indulging. Maybe she does have quite a bit of money in the bank, but nobody can predict how bad that we are going to be hit by the recession that we may or already having. I would scale back my trip until your husband has a stable job again. So many people think about today and not tomorrow. It breaks my heart. But, ultimately if you decide to go, it is your decision, and I wish you all best on your trip!!!

Yes, the Disney owned ones are allowed. The ones provided according to Disney and the fire code regulations.

Frankly, I believe if you cannot afford a hotel room with those amenities, then you need to save more until you can, rather than violate the rules for your own selfish purposes.

OH, geez. This seems a little strong. Selfish purposes? Making your own pop tars is some sort of crime now?

Luckily for OP, there are plenty of fun little mom and pop places in Florida with efficiences that have a fridge and toaster, etc. (And I bet none of these have been carefully wired.)

I feel like this is why so many people are having financial problems now. People overspend way too much. My Dh makes a great living, and I am so thankful for that, but we still live on a budget. Thinking of our children's futures are our upmost priority. We are a young couple, I'm 27, but like to know that we are finacially capable of over indulging. Maybe she does have quite a bit of money in the bank, but nobody can predict how bad that we are going to be hit by the recession that we may or already having. I would scale back my trip until your husband has a stable job again. So many people think about today and not tomorrow. It breaks my heart. But, ultimately if you decide to go, it is your decision, and I wish you all best on your trip!!!

It's not really free though to hang out and home, either. You eat, you shop, you spend money. Particularly with two kids to entertain all summer.

OP has a budget vacation planned, with lots of stuff already paid for. It's not like they're heading to NYC and staying at the Ritz.

OH, geez. This seems a little strong. Selfish purposes? Making your own pop tars is some sort of crime now?

Luckily for OP, there are plenty of fun little mom and pop places in Florida with efficiences that have a fridge and toaster, etc. (And I bet none of these have been carefully wired.)

It is selfish if you are going to violate rules and regulations. If you have to have a toasted poptart so badly, save up for a room that provides that amenity of a toaster for you. But don't break the rules and endanger others. Doing so is indeed selfish.

Why don't people read entire posts and process the whole thing before responding?

Hi All ~ With DH laid-off, we have time to do a 2.5-4 week road trip from Toronto to WDW. This is the BUDGET plan so far. I'd love your advice on how to make a dollar stretch!

Day 1, drive to Morganville, WV, Hotel $75, with pool and breakky
Day 2-4, stay for free at brother-in-laws house in Raleigh, NC
Day 5-7, drive to a reasonably price Atlantic Ocean beach in Florida
Day 8-17, drive to Pop Century, can get CAA/AAA rate of about $75 a night. We already have 10 day hoppers with oodles of water park tickets and the $82 Universal ticket deal....I bought these tickets months ago when the Canadian dollar was almost at par.
Day 18, drive to SC stay at an inexpensive hotel
Day 19, drive to south Penn.
Day 20, drive home

We are bringing the following for most meals;

Powered milk or real milk, sugar, coffee, tea, Crystal Light, bread, pbj, bagels, cream cheese, lettuce, dressing, carrots, water, can opener, wash cloth, dish soap, cereal, oatmeal, cookies, pop, light cheese, granola bars, spaghetti, tomato sauce, parmasean cheese, soups, cup-a-soup, crackers, pop corn, frozen veggies, spices, canned tomatoes for stews.

We are bringing a crock pot and microwave.

Can anyone suggest an inexpensive hotel at a Florida beach on the Atlantic Ocean?

Thanks! Sandra

aww..what the heck, you gotta live! Go for it. I don't know about hotels but maybe a condo would be less expensive...like on cyberrentals.com or something.

my dh and I were going to do something like this once...he got laid off (plenty of money in the bank) and it was during summer so the kids were off. He went down to the basement to grab our luggage and horror of horrors, we had a flood of raw sewerage down there.

Our insurance guy said "take your vacation!, go.... have fun!" and we were like "uh....I don't think so." but if it weren't for that glitch, we would have been outta here! ::yes::

I don't know about the small appliance situation but I think that i have read here about folks using the food court microwave. Also, you could probably rent a condo in orlando for around $75. a nite and have a full kitchen.

So basically why bother having rules right? Incredible :furious:

It is selfish if you are going to violate rules and regulations. If you have to have a toasted poptart so badly, save up for a room that provides that amenity of a toaster for you. But don't break the rules and endanger others. Doing so is indeed selfish.

Why don't people read entire posts and process the whole thing before responding?

I read it and processed it. And I disagree.

I don't remember reading anything in most of the hotel rooms I've been in about not having a toaster. So I'm not clear why you think its "the rules."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter