DH is starting WW today. Any tips or hints?

rszdtrvl

DIS Veteran
I am in charge of meals for him, and figuring out his points per day.

Does anyone have any tips or hints for me to make this work?

Is there a site online to input a recipe and have it decipher point count per serving? Like for casseroles?

Is there a site online to print out basic stuff that most people have in their house? Ex. bananas, cheese, etc. so I don't have to keep looking up the point count?

I purchased the 2010 fast food and food companion books.

He is doing the online program.

If anyone has any advice for me, I would appreciate it!

DH is on a 42 pt/day and needs to lose around 50 pounds.

Is there a site online to input a recipe and have it decipher point count per serving? Like for casseroles?

Is there a site online to print out basic stuff that most people have in their house? Ex. bananas, cheese, etc. so I don't have to keep looking up the point count?

I have found it best to try 1 thing at a time-e.g. change white breads/rice/pasta to wholegrain type then after a day or 2 change all full fat dairy to half fat etc.
That way it doesnt seem too drastic and it's easier to stick too.
Hope this helps. Good luck:thumbsup2

As far as figuring the points for things like casseroles, WW e-tools has a recipe calculator that is great... but e-tools does cost an additional monthly fee.

For points on basic foods, all of that should have been explained to him when he started week one. His week one welcome book should have an alphabetical points listing at the back. I find that it covers most of the basics and for everything else I use the points slider. Occasionally, but rarely, I come across a food that I just can't figure out. If I go over to the WW website message boards and ask (or even just google it) I can get an answer. You have those extra books, so you should be all set.

I'm sure that you are trying to help him along on this journey, but he really does need to take some responsibility on his own for tracking his points. It needs to become a habit for HIM, not YOU. I have offered to help my DH if he wanted to try WW, so I understand where you are coming from. But your DH needs to learn this on his own. YOu can certainly help by offering to provide healthy, low point meals and by letting him know the points value per serving of the things you made, but he should take some responsibility for deciding on portions and tracking. It will help him in the long run.......P

Wonderful! I have lost 36 and my DH has lost 40 over the past 6 months. We feel so much better. I love etools. I am a cheapskate and try to get everything for free but etools is one thing I will never get rid of. I love putting in my favorite recipes and having all of the points there. Then I can mess around with them to get them lower or makes subs if I don't have something (like I always make chili different). There are great blogs like Hungry Girl that help. I also recommend labeling all of you food when you come home so you don't have to keep looking things up. It seems like every cereal has differnet points AND different serving sizes. So I label 1/2 cup=3points with tape on the box. I also recommend drinking a lot of water, taking lots of before pics and measurements and I would get the WW food scale. Sometimes they have a coupon at the meetings.
It is by far the easiest diet to adapt to with other people around. We love it. Good luck!

I'm sure that you are trying to help him along on this journey, but he really does need to take some responsibility on his own for tracking his points. It needs to become a habit for HIM, not YOU. I have offered to help my DH if he wanted to try WW, so I understand where you are coming from. But your DH needs to learn this on his own. YOu can certainly help by offering to provide healthy, low point meals and by letting him know the points value per serving of the things you made, but he should take some responsibility for deciding on portions and tracking. It will help him in the long run.......P

I totally understand. I think right now we are both trying to figure out how it works more than anything.

I am helping him out today, but I will be gone all day tomorrow, so he will be on his own.

I do plan on helping him out on the days that he works, as I pack his lunch for him in the evening since he wakes up in the middle of the night to go to work. So I will have the meals already planned for him while he is at work and the points figured out.

But yes, I know that he will need to figure it out on his own. He will need to go online tonight to enter his daily points and complete the information they are asking (a "newbie" informative lesson) since I won't do it.

Thanks!

I paid for the E-tools and I LOVE them. I love being able to input what I eat and having it figure it all out for me. The recipe builder is also great to let you know how much you can actually eat of things that you make, and to tweak them to lower the points.

One thing that I do, since we plan our meals by week, I always record exactly what I plan to eat for dinner the next night, then I know how many points I have left to get through the day. That might not work for everyone, but it helps me know if I have any extra points to burn or if I need to be careful and stick to the plan.

Good luck to him! I've only been doing this a little less than two weeks, but I have already lost about 8 lbs!

He just went slightly over his daily points today. I have figured that since he is only doing 3 days this week he gets 15 flex points.

He used his 42 points, and went over by 7 points. But he is subtracting 2 points for activity (moderate on the exercise bike for 20 minutes). So he is actually right on target for the day!

He kept asking me "how many points is xxx"? I told him to look it up. I also asked him "how many points is xxx"? and had him look them up too. He needs to get familiar with the book and point system. And how to find stuff (I have had trouble finding things in it).

He splurged and had 1 serving of Pizza Rolls. DS and I had them, and they are one of his favorites. He said "Flex Points" before he ate them, with a grin.
:thumbsup2

He is looking forward to trying this. Like I said, tomorrow he is on his own, because I will be gone all morning. It should be interesting, the foods he will choose to stay on his point target. I have no doubt he will make the right choices, but I am curious to see what they will be.

boy, if that doesn't send up a red flag, I don't know what does.

The first scarlet A in WW is Accountability. The second scarlet A is Attitude. That comes MUCH later.

WW is a lifestyle change. It's not a diet.

Here's some advice from a lifetime member:

*always have a bottle of water around. Drink from it.
*break your day up into meals. Your body sends you eating signals. Don't ignore them because you will pay the price. It's much more productive to count a 1-2 point fruit snack than a bag of chips, cookies, cake, ice cream, candy bar.
*what you fuel with is important. Part of the journey is figuring out the staples. What other people eat is totally irrevelant. Their points don't count for you.
*track every day. Many, many people don't track. My journal is my friend. It's been good to me through the years.
*one day your life won't be about losing weight. As a lifetime member, it hasn't been for a LONG time. That day will come. It is all about atitude. I had to pay my dues first, though.
*I've never counted an activity point. NEVER. To each his own, but I've had very good results. I have days of rest, days of maintaining, hard days, race days, interval days, distance days, sick days. They're all different, but no matter what the activity point just didn't work for ME.
*my WW leader's motto is: we never, ever give up. My wife gave up 4 years ago. Every now and then I have a lapse; but trust me when I tell you I get the best results WHEN I KEEP MY BIG FAT MOUTH SHUT. I think this is the cardinal rule for ALL husbands and long healthy marriages.

boy, if that doesn't send up a red flag, I don't know what does.

The first scarlet A in WW is Accountability. The second scarlet A is Attitude. That comes MUCH later.

WW is a lifestyle change. It's not a diet.

Here's some advice from a lifetime member:

*always have a bottle of water around. Drink from it.
*break your day up into meals. Your body sends you eating signals. Don't ignore them because you will pay the price. It's much more productive to count a 1-2 point fruit snack than a bag of chips, cookies, cake, ice cream, candy bar.
*what you fuel with is important. Part of the journey is figuring out the staples. What other people eat is totally irrevelant. Their points don't count for you.
*track every day. Many, many people don't track. My journal is my friend. It's been good to me through the years.
*one day your life won't be about losing weight. As a lifetime member, it hasn't been for a LONG time. That day will come. It is all about atitude. I had to pay my dues first, though.
*I've never counted an activity point. NEVER. To each his own, but I've had very good results. I have days of rest, days of maintaining, hard days, race days, interval days, distance days, sick days. They're all different, but no matter what the activity point just didn't work for ME.
*my WW leader's motto is: we never, ever give up. My wife gave up 4 years ago. Every now and then I have a lapse; but trust me when I tell you I get the best results WHEN I KEEP MY BIG FAT MOUTH SHUT. I think this is the cardinal rule for ALL husbands and long healthy marriages.

:thumbsup2 Amen to everything you said!!....................P

I didn't do anything for him today, as I was gone all day.

The only thing I helped him with was a dinner that would not make him go over his points. And reminding him that he needs to drink water.

I won't do anything tomorrow either, as I will be out of town all day.

You are right. He does need to be the leader in this. I can be a cheerleader, he can be the quarterback.

42 points - men are soooo lucky! ;)

I think people are right on that he needs to be in charge. However, if you are the shopper/cook in your family (I am in mine) you will have a large part in helping him be successful.

I just started ww (again) and find it is very easy for me to stay within my points while cooking for my family if I stick to basics - chicken, fish, etc. accompanied by lots of fruit and veggies and one carb side dish. The carbs are my weakness, so if we are having anything with pasta or rice in it, I put a 1/2 c measuring cup right next to my plate and use it when dishing out my portion.

The key when shopping is lots of easy to access fruits and vegetables along with some low point snack options like popcorn, fiber plus bars, yogurt, etc. He needs to figure out basic stuff he would like to have available for breakfasts and lunches and write it on the grocery list. Higher fiber equals lower points so be really aware of the fiber count when shopping for breads etc.

If you are the cooker/shopper, you could consider trading some chores with him and having him take over the cooking/shopping for a week or two while he's figuring it out. At any rate, he is really lucky to have someone who is so supportive helping him with this!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter