DH is leaving the fate of our trip up to DS.

zuzupetals

Earning My Ears
After much coaxing I finally got DH to agree to a 3 night trip over President's weekend. First he didn't want to go then he said okay to 2 nights but I said 2 nights was too short. So he finally agreed to 3 nights. I asked him if he wants to tell DS or suprise him. He said that he is going to ask DS tonight if he wants to go. I hope DS says yes. DS loves disney but he complained about our last trip because he missed a field trip. Fingers crossed.

How do you feel about that? I know I'd be annoyed. Then again, if I wanted to go and hubby didn't, DS and I would go solo (as long as the money was there).

I'm okay with it because I'm pretty sure my son will want to go to Disney. Pretty sure his choices are going to be stay home or go to disney. What kid in their right mind chooses stay home. He has 2 days off of school so he won't be missing anything. The only way he would say no is if DH promised him something else. And we've been going back and forth for the last week about if we go away and if so where. DH told me he blocked his calendar for the day after President's Day so he has off of work. I called the kennel and made reservations for the animals. DH has been working insane hours the last couple of months (with no additional pay) so we could really use some family time. Hopefully my son chooses correctly.

I don't know you, and don't want to sound rude, but it honestly sounds like from your post your DH doesn't want to go. He didn't want to, he said 2 nights, now he wants to let your DS choose.

Personally, I hope you get to go and have a wonderful vacation (I am all for quick trips!) but it sounds like your DH does not want to go.

It's not the going that DH minds but it's the getting there and back. We drive down at night and will be driving home on Tuesday. I promised to drive home. He doesn't mind disney, it's just the drive that bothers him. We agreed that we needed some family time and some sun. Everything else I ended up pricing was way more expensive and was maybe 4-5 hours from home. We drive a couple of extra hours and spend less since we already have tixs and are going to stay at Pop. Staying at Pop may be part of the issue too. We own DVC and he's kind of spoiled by it. But we are out of points because we are going to Aulani this summer. I was more than willing to do something else but he vetod every idea I had.

Leaving decisions like that up to a child is not something I personally would stand for. That would be between my DH & I. Giving that sort of power to a child is asking for trouble now or in the future. You didn't say how old the son is, but my DH would have me seriously ticked if he tried to give our child power over my desires or wants :confused3

It's not the going that DH minds but it's the getting there and back. We drive down at night and will be driving home on Tuesday. I promised to drive home. He doesn't mind disney, it's just the drive that bothers him. We agreed that we needed some family time and some sun. Everything else I ended up pricing was way more expensive and was maybe 4-5 hours from home. We drive a couple of extra hours and spend less since we already have tixs and are going to stay at Pop. Staying at Pop may be part of the issue too. We own DVC and he's kind of spoiled by it. But we are out of points because we are going to Aulani this summer. I was more than willing to do something else but he vetod every idea I had.

lol! After our last split stay at POP/SSR DH agreed to buy DVC and never stay at POP again! I get your Dh's issues.

I hope you get to take your family trip and have a magical time!

I've had DVC for 12 years now and am completely spoiled by it. Twice now I've stayed value at Disney because I didn't have points and it is just truly not the same....lol
Best of luck and hope you get to go!

Leaving decisions like that up to a child is not something I personally would stand for. That would be between my DH & I. Giving that sort of power to a child is asking for trouble now or in the future. You didn't say how old the son is, but my DH would have me seriously ticked if he tried to give our child power over my desires or wants :confused3

Same here. Plus if my DH said he didn't want to go I wouldn't push the issue and respect his wishes.

For me that is too short of a time at Disney and with a trip to Hawaii coming up, I just wouldn't go to be honest. Why not stay home and do some fun things around home?

DS is 9. We travel a lot and let him be involved in the planning. We let him decide where he wanted to celebrate his 10th bday. He picked Hawaii. Which was a good pick in my opinion because of Aulani. That's just how we roll. DS was super excited about going to Disney. We usually go away for a quick trip in Feburary. We've been to disney a ton of times so a quick trip is just fine for us. To the ladies up thread who are also spoiled by DVC we bought after we stayed at All Star Sports our first family trip so I think it must happen to tons of people that way.

I'm just curious as to why a family vacation should be about your desires or wants? Personally to me that seems very selfish on your part. How can you have fun on a trip if your children aren't happy? :confused3

OP- I hope your son wants to go and you get your magical vacation. I don't go on vacations unless it's something my children want. From your ticker I assume your son is 9 and will probably want to go to Disney.

I'm just curious as to why a family vacation should be about your desires or wants? Personally to me that seems very selfish on your part. How can you have fun on a trip if your children aren't happy? :confused3

OP- I hope your son wants to go and you get your magical vacation. I don't go on vacations unless it's something my children want. From your ticker I assume your son is 9 and will probably want to go to Disney.

Thanks Melissa. He always wants to go to Disney. Mainly I think DH wanted to make sure he was okay with it because he recently complained about missing a field trip because of last year's trip. We told him next time he can stay home if he is concerned about that. He immediately changed his mind about complaining. DH asked him while he was drying DS's hair after a shower. It would have been a better idea to wait until he had gotten dressed since he immediately dropped his towel and started running around naked.

I can't imagine not involving my child in our vacation decisions. It is his vacation too.

To you and OP, if that's the way your family operates, it's definitely your decision, but I can see as young as your son is you are definitely setting him up to be the decision maker in your home. Have never seen a situation like that work out, and I have seen some children allowed to dictate to the parents where, how and when to go. I did not say you don't make the decisions together, or consult with your son, but your wording OP was that it was "all" up to your son - per your "husband's decision". We would never give our children that power in our household, but we do plan together :confused3 , but ultimate decisions are "ours", the "parents". :goodvibes Also, if your children aren't happy with your decisions at that age there is something else seriously more wrong than this one thing. Has he been able to make the decisions when he was even younger? :sad2: Doesn't usually make for happy children, that's what parents are for.

We were never asked where we wanted to go on vacation as a child. The only time we were allowed to pick was the year I graduated HS. My parents sat us down in September I think and asked us where we would like to go as this would probably be the last family vacation. I picked DL, my one sister picked DL and my youngest sister picked the lake. Every year we would go to a lake for our vacation. My parents picked the lake. Some years we went to the same place for 4 or 5 years and then they tried a new place the next summer.

My parents save for almost a whole year in order to take us to DL. It was lots of fun and my mom and dad did all the planning. I think my mom did a great job since there wasn't the Dis around to help her out.

I think is nice to plan some things as a family and I also think it's good to let the kids know who is in charge by not always letting them pick.

OP, I guess you're asking for a debate here, otherwise why post?

I would be very seriously ticked off if my DH allowed my 9 year old child to make such big decisions.

And you let him choose his own birthday destination, so you allowed him to choose Hawaii?

Oh my Gosh, that's all I can say.

To each their own, but not how we run things around here. ;)

I do hope you have great family time, whatever you all do. :)

I did the same thing - lol - found out DGrD(8) (that I watch after school and on Saturdays) has off that Thurs, Fri and Monday. I said to DH "why would I NOT go to florida?":lmao: We are also out of DVC points for the year - but I was able to get a great AP rate at POP that made me feel better about the higher 'holiday' airfare. We already have our tickets and I don't have to rent a car (love ME). I have never stayed at a value - when my grown kids were young CBR was the lowest priced resort and then we joined DVC. I know DGrD will love POP - and I will keep reminding myself that I could be sitting at home in the cold instead of walking and swimming in the sunshine;). I asked DH if he would like to come and he also said " uh.... NO" LOL So we are leaving him home- girls trip.
I am so glad your DS is excited - I also wanted to surprise DGrD, but told her about our last minute trip that weekend so she wouldn't get there and get homesick for her mom (we are leaving right from school) - I wanted her to make that decision, too - but she is ecstatic and calls me every day with the "Oma, we only have _ more days" countdown. Enjoy!
PS: I have a late-life DS who was basically raised as an only child and I know we almost always included his input for all our travel - maybe it's more of an only child thing - I don't think we gave the girls the same options - too many opinions;). He's a wonderful young adult now and there's no sign that he thinks he runs anything here at home. He is, however, amazing at planning and enjoying his travels.

I did the same thing - lol - found out DGrD(8) (that I watch after school and on Saturdays) has off that Thurs, Fri and Monday. I said to DH "why would I NOT go to florida?":lmao: We are also out of DVC points for the year - but I was able to get a great AP rate at POP that made me feel better about the higher 'holiday' airfare. We already have our tickets and I don't have to rent a car (love ME). I have never stayed at a value - when my grown kids were young CBR was the lowest priced resort and then we joined DVC. I know DGrD will love POP - and I will keep reminding myself that I could be sitting at home in the cold instead of walking and swimming in the sunshine;). I asked DH if he would like to come and he also said " uh.... NO" LOL So we are leaving him home- girls trip.
I am so glad your DS is excited - I also wanted to surprise DGrD, but told her about our last minute trip that weekend so she wouldn't get there and get homesick for her mom (we are leaving right from school) - I wanted her to make that decision, too - but she is ecstatic and calls me every day with the "Oma, we only have _ more days" countdown. Enjoy!
PS: I have a late-life DS who was basically raised as an only child and I know we almost always included his input for all our travel - maybe it's more of an only child thing - I don't think we gave the girls the same options - too many opinions;). He's a wonderful young adult now and there's no sign that he thinks he runs anything here at home. He is, however, amazing at planning and enjoying his travels.

--------"I know we almost always included his input for all our travel" :thumbsup2 that's not the same as giving him the final say, I agree with that, but that's not what the OP said her dh did :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter