• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DH is graduating Fire Acedemy...what to get him??!??

pumpkinfish

<font color=blue>Clothing Expert and Magic Giver o
I'm proud to say my husband will be graduating next Wednesday. He has endured 10 months of EMT/Fire Training. I want to get him something special but I'm all blank! My parents are buying him a firefighter duffel bag to hold his turn-out gear and helmet...but I don't know what else he would like.

Any ideas??

I don't really have any suggestions as when my ex-DH graduated I just did a family party in our house, but I want to say congrats to your DH - the academy is not easy (on him or on you). Best of luck to him in his new career!

I don't really have any suggestions as when my ex-DH graduated I just did a family party in our house, but I want to say congrats to your DH - the academy is not easy (on him or on you). Best of luck to him in his new career!

Thank you :) It has been the toughest time in our lives...but so worth it! The guys are having a huge party the following Saturday (catered and everything!) so no need for family party...I just wish I knew what he might need. He isn't into figurines and knick-knacks...unless it was "cool". lol

First, congrats and thank you to him and all firefighters who risk their lives to save others.

Would you want to go the lighthearted route and get him a kids firefighter costume and such? You could then donate it to charity.

Or, do you have an itouch? It's a really cool toy.

OK, just spoke with my ex-DH. Pretty much everything was supplied for them, but he keeps extra socks, underwear, etc. in his locker in case his get wet. And St. Florian is the patron saint of firefighters so maybe a medallion, chain or something with him on it?

OH! And he got pretty wet his first few months as a probie with all the initiation stuff (spilling a bucket of water on him from the upstairs window, spraying him with the hose, etc.) so maybe a few changes of socks/underwear wouldn't be such a bad idea. :lmao:

I don't remember where I got (you can do a search) but I found a great plaque with a small statue of a firefighter with the firemans prayer on it. My brother loves it. It has become more and more special to him now that he has been doing his job for over 5 years now.

My husband is a captain in the fire department, as well as a paramedic. It's definitely challenging at times. It'll take you a while to get used to those 24 hour shifts I bet. :goodvibes

The district should provide him with just about everything he needs (including the duffel bag, actually). My husband has to bring his own bedding and toiletries. So maybe a new set of sheets or whatever for him? My DH also has an extra electric razor that he keeps just for the job, so that's another idea.

The firefighters prayer plaque are pretty popular. You can get them all over the place.

Maybe a gift certificate for a tattoo? :lmao: Seems every firefighter I know has one. :rotfl:

Not at all related to the profession, but maybe instead of a gift plan a nice vacation? The first year can be pretty brutal for some probies, depending on who their captain is (happy to say my DH is one of the nice ones!). They often get stuck doing the grunt work. :rolleyes: He'll be looking forward to a vacation after a while I'm sure. :goodvibes

It depends on how much money you're looking to spend. When I finished the fire academy, the big thing was to get a helmet. usually the department supplies the basic, cheap one. Lots of people like the fancier ones - like the Cairns 1010's or real leather helmets. It's expensive though.

Another (expensive) option is to get him leather boots if he department doesn't provide them (many don't). A lot of people around here buy their own after a year or so, because the rubber ones are wicked uncomfortable.

I didn't get anything for my dh when he graduated as we were young and broke but here' some of things he likes to have.

a nice folding knife that attaches to his belt (kind of like a leatherman)
organizing stuff for his locker- a basket for toiletries, hanging sweater organizer for his t-shirts etc.
firefighting t-shirts or hats he can wear when he's off duty.
Just about anything IAFF ( I'm thinking of getting him a trailer hitch cover for his truck)
A nice photo of the family for his locker. Also my dh keeps a photo of the kids and I in his helmet.

Gosh, I know there's more but I can't think of anything else right now. Hope that helps.

I'm proud to say my husband will be graduating next Wednesday. He has endured 10 months of EMT/Fire Training. I want to get him something special but I'm all blank! My parents are buying him a firefighter duffel bag to hold his turn-out gear and helmet...but I don't know what else he would like.

Any ideas??

How about a very nice candlelight dinner at home and you dress up as
a firefighter gal and take it from there. We call them "memory" gifts
at my house.

Congrats to your husband :cheer2:

at my house.

Something like that was actually the first thing that came to my mind too. Maybe a nice weekend away alone. Tell him that you're going to start a fire and see if he can put it out...:rolleyes1

OK, just spoke with my ex-DH. Pretty much everything was supplied for them, but he keeps extra socks, underwear, etc. in his locker in case his get wet. And St. Florian is the patron saint of firefighters so maybe a medallion, chain or something with him on it?

Thanks! He might actually like that. I searched on the net and found a few I like....now to drop a few hints to see if he'd like it...

OH! And he got pretty wet his first few months as a probie with all the initiation stuff (spilling a bucket of water on him from the upstairs window, spraying him with the hose, etc.) so maybe a few changes of socks/underwear wouldn't be such a bad idea. :lmao:
This is actually a great idea! He knows there will be many antics and having the fresh socks/underwear would be comforting. Good to have anyways since he tears up his socks like crazy.

I don't remember where I got (you can do a search) but I found a great plaque with a small statue of a firefighter with the firemans prayer on it. My brother loves it. It has become more and more special to him now that he has been doing his job for over 5 years now.
I thought about this too. His uncle has one hanging in his house and DH has commented on how he likes it.

My husband is a captain in the fire department, as well as a paramedic. It's definitely challenging at times. It'll take you a while to get used to those 24 hour shifts I bet. :goodvibes

The district should provide him with just about everything he needs (including the duffel bag, actually). My husband has to bring his own bedding and toiletries. So maybe a new set of sheets or whatever for him? My DH also has an extra electric razor that he keeps just for the job, so that's another idea.

The firefighters prayer plaque are pretty popular. You can get them all over the place.

Maybe a gift certificate for a tattoo? :lmao: Seems every firefighter I know has one. :rotfl:

Not at all related to the profession, but maybe instead of a gift plan a nice vacation? The first year can be pretty brutal for some probies, depending on who their captain is (happy to say my DH is one of the nice ones!). They often get stuck doing the grunt work. :rolleyes: He'll be looking forward to a vacation after a while I'm sure. :goodvibes

I wish they supplied the duffel bags...but he did get his bedding already (that is supplied through them). A tattoo is right up his alley. He has 3 and said the next will be his FF one. :thumbsup2 Good call! We already know we will be taking a trip to WDW in October...can plan it all the way but one of the captains at the Fire Academy said it should be possible. That is pretty much the big thing he is looking forward to.

It depends on how much money you're looking to spend. When I finished the fire academy, the big thing was to get a helmet. usually the department supplies the basic, cheap one. Lots of people like the fancier ones - like the Cairns 1010's or real leather helmets. It's expensive though.

Another (expensive) option is to get him leather boots if he department doesn't provide them (many don't). A lot of people around here buy their own after a year or so, because the rubber ones are wicked uncomfortable.

Thank you for that. I'll speak to the guys at graduation and see if there is anything extra he might be able to get and plan for.

I didn't get anything for my dh when he graduated as we were young and broke but here' some of things he likes to have.

a nice folding knife that attaches to his belt (kind of like a leatherman)
organizing stuff for his locker- a basket for toiletries, hanging sweater organizer for his t-shirts etc.
firefighting t-shirts or hats he can wear when he's off duty.
Just about anything IAFF ( I'm thinking of getting him a trailer hitch cover for his truck)
A nice photo of the family for his locker. Also my dh keeps a photo of the kids and I in his helmet.

Gosh, I know there's more but I can't think of anything else right now. Hope that helps.

Photo, tees and knife are things he has already mentioned. :thumbsup2 I have a few on order but the knife I need to find the exact style he asked for.

at my house.

Tee Hee :love:. I seriously have no comment ;) :rolleyes1.
But thanks to all the well-wishes and ideas...it certainly has helped. He and the rest of the guys deserve it :thumbsup2.

DH and I weren't together when he graduated but I got him a firefighters prayer clip for his visor after we started dating. I've also given the photos for the locker and a laminated photo for his helmet. Also a big basket of what he uses here at home (soap, deodorant, razor, etc) and some flip flops for the shower.

DH also appreciates a basket of treats, like individual chips, cookies, crackers, and snacks when lunch or dinner was missed from a call. I also got him a new bedset for his bunk so he didn't have to keep dragging a blanket, sheet, and pillow to the firehouse.

Try www.galls.com for tools and supplies. They also have a gift section that might give you some more ideas. What about a nice window decal for his truck/car. We have one that is a Mickey as a FF and one that says "Only The Brave Risk To Save". You can get them on Ebay pretty fast.

Congrats!

My ex-DH is a firefighter. He had always wanted a leather NYFD helmet but they aren't cheap. His Mom ended up getting him one year for Xmas. I've seen some on ebay but not really sure where to get them new.

Also any tee shirts like the "Tools of the Trade" series are popular with ex and his buddies. He wears a firefighting themed shirt quite often when he is off duty.

You'll get used to the 24 hour shifts pretty quickly. It's not so bad.

Congrats to your DH. Firefighters rock....I love mine! When he graduated I made him a framed pic. I think it is 8X11, it has 2 pics on it, one is of him standing near fire (while he is in training) the other is of teh guys in the academy. They took a pic of their academy class sitting on an engine with their training officers standing with them. I got the collage put together with his fire dept name printed on it through walmart, then I framed it. He loved it! I also got him a figure of two firefighters emerging from a fire, and has a small plaque put on it. On the plaque I had the dept name printed and the date. (That was from the kids). That year my mom got him a brass fire extinguisher for Christmas. (another idea)

He will pick up stuff along the years that is for sure.

congrats to your dh. its a tough career but the ones that do it love their job!mine sure does. He finished the fire academy before I met him so I have no idea. Mine isnt into jewerly or such so when he switched depts and went thru the tough 13 week recruit class with his new dept I didnt really do anything besides frame a pic with two photos from training. His recruit class made a video that they all received and that was it. dh gets all of his gear from the FD so that isnt a issue either. Maybe a nice weekend away before he starts his job? that would be something mine would enjoy esp after all those weeks of hard training... congrats again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter