DH broke his ankle! Now what?

kimmie

<font color=green>Sometimes I have senior moments
DH broke his ankle last weekend! We have our trip planned for April 14 - 20. Not sure how to handle things. I have many questions.

Should we rent a EVC for the entire stay? We will be staying at the Dolphin.

Who should we rent it from?

What would the cost be for 6 days?

How many rides will he NOT be able to do?

We go back to the dr in two weeks. Right now he is in a temporary cast, ( big giant Q-tip thing that is NOT removable, but they need the swelling to go down ) should be in a small ankle cast when we leave.

We are not planning to cancel at this point, but will wait and see what happens at the next appointment. We have been many times, and will be with a family member who has never been. I don't mind hanging out with DH while the others ride.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kimmie

First thing, read the FAQ.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=595713

Most likely you will want to rent an ECV for your whole stay. The FAQ has info on many reputable providers.

Then search through this forum for "broken leg" or "broken ankle"...many have been in a similiar situation and there is much good advice.

Hmm, having done this myself twice now maybe I can offer some help.

Depending on the severity of the break, your dh will be in a cast or a walking boot brace. I travelled last March with the boot. I had a few more weeks healing behind me than your dh will have, so I was not in any pain to speak of - just still needed the boot for protection & stability. I was able to ride everything, it just took me a little longer to load for a few rides. The problem ones were the ones that you have to step down into to board - POC, RnR, Space Mountain. Peter Pan was a little precarious, because they can't stop the moving belt, but I managed.

I rented an ECV from Walker Mobility. I would highly recommend them -the scooter was in great condition. Much lighter & more maneuveralbe than the Disney owned scooters. With the scooter to help my stamina & speed to match my family's - our trip went off with out a hitch.

Having said that - I rebroke the same leg in October. Much more severe this time - required surgery for pins & a plate. Had to wear a hard cast & keep all weight off that leg for 9 weeks. That meant getting around with crutches or a wheelchair. There is no way I could have done WDW this time. I don't think it would be very easy to load onto rides without quite a bit more stability than I had on my crutches. Men tend to have more upper body strength though, so your dh might do better than I did. At 6 weeks I was still pretty swollen & bruised enough that I would not have wanted to be bumped or jostled around in the parks.

I am still wearing a small brace & walk with a limp. Even at this point, I would do the ECV again to feel that I could really manage the parks. Ask you dh's doctor what he thinks & base your decision on that. The ECV's are great though - don't hesitate to rent one if your dh needs it.

I just wanted to add that most of the lines at Disney are mainstreamed at Disney.
That means if dh is useing an EVC/WC he can stay in it until just before
boarding the ride. Sometimes he will be pulled from the main line in order to reach an accessible boarding area. This does NOT mean you are bypassing everyone
just going to an area where it will be easier for him to board the ride.
Some rides have moving sidewalks. Disney is able to slow the moving sidewalk at the exits of some of those rides so rides like the HM he will board there. Also EVC/WC cannot climb staris so for a few of the rides such as Test Track you will be rerouted to an elevator.
Have a great time at dDisney!

My son broke his foot in 4 places the other summer. We rented a wheelchair for him for Disney because the crutches were hurting his under arms after short periods of time. There wasn't any attractions he didn't go on. We asked the doc about Mission Space, and he even went on that. Most of the lines have been changed to accomodate wheel chairs. There were just a few where we had to use a different entrance. There is a pamphlet you can pick up at guest services that explains the entrances to the rides.

Thanks to everyone for the replies! This is what I needed to hear. We go back to the dr on April 4. Keeping our fingers crossed that things are going well with the healing. We will be staying at the Dolphin and think a evc delivered to the resort will be the best thing. We will have our van with us, but wonder if transportation will be an issue. Should we just use Disney transportations or try to load it in the van? He still feels like he will be a burden and slow us down. I told him that since we have been many times, we can send the kids on the big rides and the two of us will be able to enjoy other things together. Although I did tell him I WILL be going on Soarin' and EE without him! lol.

Thanks again guys!

Kimmie

kimmie said:
Thanks to everyone for the replies! This is what I needed to hear. We go back to the dr on April 4. Keeping our fingers crossed that things are going well with the healing. We will be staying at the Dolphin and think a evc delivered to the resort will be the best thing. We will have our van with us, but wonder if transportation will be an issue. Should we just use Disney transportations or try to load it in the van? He still feels like he will be a burden and slow us down. I told him that since we have been many times, we can send the kids on the big rides and the two of us will be able to enjoy other things together. Although I did tell him I WILL be going on Soarin' and EE without him! lol.

Thanks again guys!

Kimmie

I always use Disney transportation.
When you go to the bus stop the WC/EVC line is to the left of the regular line since the WC/EVC lift is located at the back door of the bus. Be sure to wait there with your family.The WC/EVC's are loaded first for safety reasons.
The rest of your family will enter through the rear door Then the bus driver will close that door and open the front door so the rest of the guests can board.

There is a way to break down the EVC for easier loading if you wish to take the van.

I am able to drive my EVC right up to the Soarin ride so DH just might be joining you. :)
I haven't riden EE so I do not know how accessible it is but you will find most of Disney's rides are very accessable.
Have fun!

Thanks minnie61650! You have made me feel much better!

I think we will use Disney transportation. We will try to do as much as possible. It will be a new experience

I Just Read Your Forum And This Is Like De-jevu. I Fractured My Left Ankle In Three Places And We Are Staying At The Dolphin From The 15th Of April Til The 19th. I Have The Same Questions. I Go Back To The Doc On The 4-5 And Should Be Getting A Walking Cast. Have You Decided Which Rental You Will Be Getting The Evc From? My Boys Are 5 And 10 And Will Be Very Upset If We Dont Go. Let Me Know. Thanks Ron

So much de'javu I just broke my ankle on Tue and we're going down on the 7th. I made arraingments with Care Medical for an EWV to be deliveried on Sun and p/u on Fri. when we leave. DW is so happy with me she won't even talk to me. They were one of 2 refered to me by Karen @ Samll World vacations who we booked our trip thru. After checking almost all of the area renters of EWV's are close in price, Good Luck to you and him

What a small world!! LOL!
DH goes to the dr on Tuesday. We are hopeful that he will be put in a walking cast too! We are not planning to cancel, our kids and other family would be heartbroken too! I am going to email Walker or Care Medical and see what they have. I think they would be our best choice. The Dolphin is a very big resort and I think it would be better to have an EVC for the entire week. We will probably see you wheeling yourself around the hotel Ron!

I do worry about the bus transportation at WDW. Just because it is a very busy time (Easter) and will feel that we will slow everyone down, but we are going to give it a try! Better than staying home! lol

Let me know what you find out too!

I wish he had broken his left ankle, at least he could drive! :teeth: :rolleyes1

Sorry, but I am really having a brain problem today! After looking at the two web sites for rentals, I began to think .... Am I asking for a scooter or an electric wheelchair? What I really think I want is the scooter, right?

Help me guys!

kimmie said:
Sorry, but I am really having a brain problem today! After looking at the two web sites for rentals, I began to think .... Am I asking for a scooter or an electric wheelchair? What I really think I want is the scooter, right?

Help me guys!

Yes, you are asking for a 3 wheel scooter.
An electric wheel chair looks very similar to a wheelchair but it is battery powered.

Have fun at Disney1

Thanks Again Minnie!

I just need to decide which rental company I will use. I am trying to decide between Care Medical and Walker Mobility. I guess it will depend on who has an EVC left. I feel stupid for waiting so long to get one reserved.

Thanks!

Just Got My Request For A Scooter Autherized Thru Walker. It Was No Problem The Scooter Will Be There When We Arrive. My Wife Thought That Was Funny When You Said I Could Drive. Hope To See You Wheeling Around. Where Leaving On The 13th To Get Their On The 14th From Cincinnati.

Walker and Care Medical are both good. Walker came through for me in a pinch when my power wheelchair broke down on a trip for Tupperware and then Disney.
BTW I went to Disney a week after my open reduction of both my ankle and leg. Could not get out of the wheelchair but still was able to enjoy myself watching the shows and parades.

Has Anyone Used The Official Ticket Center To Get Their Tickets? If So Are They Relyable. They Have A Deal Right Now Buy 4 Day Pass Get 5th Day Free.thks

I called today to reserve the EVC. Got it from Walker too! It will be there when we arrive. We are driving from the Chicago area. Leaving on the 13th to arrive on the 14th!

We are a group of 10. Hope to find you around the hotel too Ron!

I wish it was his left leg, but oh well.

We are purchasing our tickets from Shades of Green, since my brother in law is in the Marine Corp, and just returned from Iraq. This is a special trip for us, since he returned safely! They will be moving to Japan this summer for a three year tour. So you can see that we do not want to cancel.

From what I know OTC is reliable. If this is the one at the corner of SR535 (Apopka Vineland Road) and Poinciana Blvd, just North of the Osceole Parkway I have visited them and used them as a location for friends to buy tickets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter