Developed skin Rash after Nassau, help need info!

piglet LS

Earning My Ears
Does anyone know what kind of rash I have?

I have developed a skin rash 2 days after leaving Nassau. We went swiming on the Atlantis beach, and I belive I got a mild sting from a jellyfish on my ankle. We got back home on sunday night and the rash has spread over my arms, legs, feet & hands. It looks like small water blisters, some being in clusters and welted on the palms of my hands.

The only other marine life I came in counter with was a large starfish which i found and held at Castaway Cay.

Has anyone out there ever heard of this type of rash and do you know what is and what I can do for it.

One other thing that I can think of is that I had a Mudd bath on the ship and thought that I might be allergic to the mudd.

Help not sure what happened over there and i would really like to know.

Um, GO TO THE DOCTORS!! How have you been living with it since Sunday? Unfortunately these things can continue to get worse if you don't get the proper treatment. I wouldn't take any chances, go have it looked at. Hope you feel better.

If it were me, I would make a doctors appointment, then I would take some Benadryl and put cortizone on the rash.

Hope you get better,

Vonda

I HAD THIS TOO!
We went June 16-23 we were in Nassau on the 21st and i got a red rash on my legs, arms, feet and hands... it itched like crazy...i noticed it the next morning after being in Nassau...we did go in the water...
But.. I DID have the SafeSea stuff and I put it on that morning before we had breakfast and several times again after that.... so I don't know....

Unfortunately I don't know what it was.. I just bought some cortizone cream and it went away in about 3 or 4 days after I got home...

I called the dr. on Tuesday and he just said to take some benadryl and wait a few days and see what happens. He thinks i might have been alergic to the soap or something else on board. He told me to give him a call on friday and let him know how I am doing, I am just going to tell him I want to go in and see, since it does not seem to be getting any better.

Thanks to everyone for the info and the suggestions.
Niola

So sorry to hear about your rash. As a chronic Hive sufferer I would recomend Aveeno Bath (I think it is oatmeal )..it is really really soothing but be careful getting out of the tub it tends to make the tub SLIPPERY!!!! (not to mention the water a terrible grey color) It works great!!!!! Hope the "itchyness" goes away soon:) Please keep us up to date as to what the DR. says. Another thought..did you by any chance use a new or different kind of sunscreen??? I have a terrible time with them....hives. I think it is the coconut .........

Could it have been the safe sea? We cruise next week - 9/8 and I have purchased the safe sea but am a little worried about using it if it causes people with sensitive skin to break ou.

Nope, I break out at the drop of a hat, and safe sea had no reaction. It's like a lot of regular sunscreens.

Sorry Mark, but I beg to differ!

I used SafeSea when we were in Grand Cayman and I broke out with a horrible rash on my legs before we even got in the water! It mildly showed up on my arms later on too. I definitely had a reaction to the SafeSea lotion. The rash lasted for about a week. It was not pretty! Cortizone cream seemed to help.

I have problems with rashes and hives and my DW has fewer problems, but is also sensitive.

We both used the Safe Sea lotion in January and did not have a problem with it at all, but I'm sure it's entirely possible.

The safe bet would be to test it on a small area of your skin at home well before you are going to cruise and determine if you can use it or not.

Here is a link to an article on the Florida Atlantic University Website. If you scroll down towards the bottom, there's a picture of a woman suffering from sea lice exposure. It isn't pretty, but it's infomational for comparison purposes, if you think you had it.
FAU Article The text in the article is informative too.

For Piglet LS, I would even suggest printing the article and taking it to the Doctor so he could read it. If the Doctor doesn't see this condition or doesn't live (or study) near the Atlantic Ocean, he might not be familiar with it.

hope that helps

Ok, I went to the dr. on friday and he thinks it is a jelly fish sting reaction. I think he is not even sure what it is. I looked at the article that albitis forwarded and my rash is nothing as severe as the on in the picture. Besides my rash blisters are clear like water blisters not red. I do get red welt like bumps that drive me insane!!!

Has anyone ever had an alergic reaction to a jelly fish sting like this or is this the way they all are.

I am going on just over a week here and I don't know when this is going to end anyone out there know how long this last for?

Thanks for all the help and concern.
Niola:confused:

piglet LS -

We're all curious, or at least I know I am - did he give you a Prescription or a lotion or anything?

If he just said 'oh that looks pretty uncomfortable and it should go away soon', we could have done that for you and you would have saved the cost of an office call.

So I guess I did not give you all the info. The Dr. did send me some oral medication (steroid) I was to take for 6 days. It was supposed to help with the rash but has only improved it about 40% or so (I am not even sure the improvement was due to the meds it just might be time).
I called him again yesterday and let him know how I was doing and all his office did was give me a refil for the same RX for another 6 days.

I am hopeing this will do the trick. Keep you updated on my hopeful progress.

Niola

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter