• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Destin/Pensacola in the winter? Is that crazy?

disneyfanforever

DIS Veteran
I would love to take the family to the Destin/Pensacola area, but the only time we have available is around Thanksgiving or Christmas (most likely Christmas time) due to school schedules.

Is it too cold to go at those times? I wouldn't want to get down there and my kids be miserable. Are most things closed? It seems like it would be relaxing hanging out on the beach when there aren't as many people there.

What do you guys think?

The weather is really changeable that time of year. It can be pleasant and fairly warm, but then a cold snap comes through and brings a really miserable chilly wind. For me, the water is too cold at that time of year for any kind of water activities (well, Thanksgiving might be okay but any time after that--no). Lying on the beach in the sun would probably be okay if you have a sweatshirt.
Sorry I can't help you with whether things are open; we only visit relatives briefly during that time of year and don't really spend time out and about.

You're not crazy, but that far north it really isn't all that warm in the winter; mostly upper 60's, lower 70's. It's good fishing weather, but not so great for splashing in waves and hanging out in a swimsuit.

I love to go to northwest Florida around thanksgiving. No crowds, usually lots of sun. It can get cool so you want to bring layers. However, we almost always get a chance to go put our feet in the water and my kids have been known to jump in and swim. The water is a bit cold for me then, about 60, and the wind can kick up so it feels cold. But lots of times it's shirt-sleeves weather and we run around in shorts & flip flops.

My preference is Destin over Pensacola Beach.

If we went around Thanksgiving, are the pools usually too cold to swim in too? I don't think my kids would mind not swimming in the ocean, but I think they would definitely want to get in the pool.

We were there for a day while traveling this Christmas vacation-noone on the beach-really too cold.
But there were some vacationers at all the Malls and "cute" shopping places, like Destin Commons and SanDestin

If they are heated, no, it's not too cold to swim. Usually, it's in the 70's still in November, sometimes the 60's. We're usually gone visiting relatives. :)

OUtdoor pools are a bit cold in November-December for my taste, although my kids have gone many times.

Thanksgiving weather is usually nice, Christmas/New Years is cooler and can be cold...or 75!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter