Destin/Ft. Walton

texasdisney

Earning My Ears
We are planning on staying in the Destin/Ft. Walton area for a day. Should I stay in Destin or Ft. Walton. I know these two places are pretty close to each other but since I will only be there for one day/night, I want to make the best of it and sure I go to the best beach in the area.

So, which do you prefer (destin or ft walton)?
Which enterence to the beach do I use?
Why do you like it?
Beach name?

Is there a boardwalk?

What budget hotels are walking distance to the beach that are decent?

I will only be there for a day, spend the night and take off the next morning so It doesn't have to be awesome, just clean. I do have a two year old, so it would be nice to be able to walk back to the hotel and change him or for a quick nap.

Any info you can share would be nice. This is my first time to this area and I have not idea where to go.

thanks

You will want to stay in Destin. There is more to do. We live in Navarre (between Pensacola and Destin) and I do not care for Fort Walton Beach. Also keep an eye on the oil spill reports, so far we have been lucky and are beaches are still perfect! Sorry but I do not know of any budget hotels but if you need a good place to eat let me know!

We always rent a condo on SanDestin and walk right out our building onto the beach. With 2 kids, it just works better with all their stuff!

However, I love love love Sea Side and Sea Grove which are along 30A. I have always wanted to stay there, but these beaches are away from tourist traps and big chain stores. Its very family friendly with lots of free activities going on during the weekends. There are adorable galleries and it's just a neat little town. We usually drive over there for a few hours to walk around or ride bikes along the 20 mile walking/bike path.

I usually rent from Ocean Reef Realty or Gibson Properties. You could google either of those. You might want to check out VRBO.com and enter the beach you're looking for. You can email owners directly from this site and sometimes work out a better deal with them.

Have fun!!!!:banana:

Remember check in time is usually 3 or 4 and check out is usually 11 or 12 so you really won't have access to a room when you really need it if you are only staying one night.

I vote for Destin. We vacation there a lot and have family there as well. However, it may be harder to find a budget hotel in the Destin area verses the Ft Walton area.

Henderson State Park in Destin was beautiful. That was our favorite beach there. We stayed at the Sundestin and the beach was just too crowded for us. We paid 6 or 7 bucks and had a nice quite time at the park.

:thumbsup2 We went to Fort Walton Beach a few weeks ago for the first time ever and LOVED it-I know others are saying no, but if you want a beach that is not too busy but very beautiful-Ft. Walton is the place to go! Up and down the miracle strip there are beach access areas with parking. We stayed all the way at the end in a condo and loved strolling the beach owned by the air force without crowds!

We always rent a condo on SanDestin and walk right out our building onto the beach. With 2 kids, it just works better with all their stuff!

However, I love love love Sea Side and Sea Grove which are along 30A. I have always wanted to stay there, but these beaches are away from tourist traps and big chain stores. Its very family friendly with lots of free activities going on during the weekends. There are adorable galleries and it's just a neat little town. We usually drive over there for a few hours to walk around or ride bikes along the 20 mile walking/bike path.

I usually rent from Ocean Reef Realty or Gibson Properties. You could google either of those. You might want to check out VRBO.com and enter the beach you're looking for. You can email owners directly from this site and sometimes work out a better deal with them.

Have fun!!!!:banana:

My sister has a house in Seaside and I loooooooove the area. You should definitely try and go down sometime. Start saving your money now!

For one night, I think Sandestin sounds ideal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter