• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Destin, Florida

The Emerald Grande is gorgeous and in the middle of a new shopping development on the Harbor.

Santa Rosa Beach is just outside of Destin and absolutely beautiful! Lots of less expensive rentals there, and there is a lovely planned community called Gulf Place. It is a short ride to the Destin restaurants and a short ride to The Red Bar in Grayton Beach. The beach is wonderful. Love it and looking forward to visiting in September!

We went to the Ft Walton Beach/Destin area last summer and it was heavenly! Some of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen, there were tons of dolphins and you could see them swimming off the shore. Gorgeous!!! From what I saw, Ft Walton Beach is much more peaceful than Destin proper. We stayed at a condo we found through vrbo called Waterscape. It was pricey ($3000 for 1 week for a 3 bedroom condo that slept 8 people) but worth every penny. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Enjoy!!! The parasailing and dolphin watching tours there were awesome!:goodvibes

ETA a photo....the view from our condo balcony
3826391436_79a9f1511d.jpg

Our family goes to Destin every summer and we love it. We always get a condo on the beach and it is the best. We are able to cook meals and just relax. We do make at least one visit to Big Kahuna's water park and the Destin Commons shopping area. There is alos the Silver Sands Outlet for shopping. There are plenty of great restaurants to eat in like Fudpuckers, Joe's Crab Shack and the Crab Trap. We stayed in a condo at the Beach Retreat and Jade East. All of the condo's are nice it just depends what you are looking for. Resort Quest is a great place to search for condo's, alos VRBO.com and there are others. I usually google Destin vacation rentals and there are lots of places to search. Another one is Homeaway.com. I hope this helps. We are staying at Villa Coyoba this year with a party of 12. I can't wait until June. Destin is my favorite beach town to visit in Florida.

Ft. Walton used to be a jumping Spring Break town like Panama City, but now it's just old and run-down. The entire downtown strip is closed up. You have to drive to Mary Esther to the Santa Rosa Mall to shop, eat, or see a movie. In the other direction, it's over the bridge to Destin. I would NOT stay in Ft. Walton. (I live about 1.5 hours away and visit Destin often, staying there for our Fall Break at Majestic Sun.)

Santa Rosa Beach is just outside of Destin and absolutely beautiful! Lots of less expensive rentals there, and there is a lovely planned community called Gulf Place. It is a short ride to the Destin restaurants and a short ride to The Red Bar in Grayton Beach. The beach is wonderful. Love it and looking forward to visiting in September!

:thumbsup2

We owned a place in Gulf Place. Was top floor above Miss Lucille's, facing the green.

Sold that and now we have a place just up the road in Old Florida Beach (turn in at Goatfeathers).

I can be in Destin in 1.5 hours, so we're down there at least every other month all year long for shopping/eating, and more frequently during beach weather. We've stayed the last three October school breaks at Majestic Sun, which is part of the Seascape Resort. p.

I would NOT stay in Ft. Walton. (I live about 1.5 hours away and visit Destin often, staying there for our Fall Break at Majestic Sun.)

Can you or someone else please tell me more about Majestic Sun? What is the area like where its located? Is it a high rise, and is it in the area with all the other high-rises?

:thumbsup2

We owned a place in Gulf Place. Was top floor above Miss Lucille's, facing the green.

Sold that and now we have a place just up the road in Old Florida Beach (turn in at Goatfeathers).

I love Miss Lucille's! Gulf Place is really nice! I love walking around the shops, restaurants and pools. Enjoy! Wish I was there now...

We just booked at week at the beginning of spring break at el matador:) So excited! Never been to this area, and our goal was to stay somewhere not in the "busy" area, but be close enough to go to Destin if we want! Thanks for the ideas of what to do!

Can you or someone else please tell me more about Majestic Sun? What is the area like where its located? Is it a high rise, and is it in the area with all the other high-rises?

We've gone to Destin a few times and have stayed in the Sandestin and Crystal Beach areas. We've never stayed at Majestic Sun but I think we've driven by it. If it's the place I am thinking of the Majestic Sun is a high rise and you have to cross Old 98 to get to the beach.

Sure. It is part of Seascape, along with Ariel Dunes I and II. They are behind MS, further from the beach, but they are TRUE high-rises so they can still have fabulous views. We pool-hopped there, but haven't stayed in them. A BFF has and loved it. She converted from a house-renter to there.
MS is about 10 stories tall. The others are more than 20. Yes, MS is across the 2 lane "old 98", but they have deeded beach access and there is NOTHING across from you but emerald water and sugar white sand. I would suggest the higher the better to get away from road noise, although it has not been loud with the sliders shut to me. Noisy on balcony only. There is heated indoor pool and an outside pool with 2 hottubs between the building and the road. There are two crossing areas with a button to push. Lights embedded in the street will light up and folks stop for you to walk. There is an A building and a B building. We've stayed in A-701 and A-514 (twice each). Both belong to a man named Bill (VRBO). 701 is on the east end, has 3 bedrooms with the split plan. Master on front with balcony. Guest rooms to the rear, each with a bath. One has a full/queen; other has two of them. No twins here.
One of two couches makes into a bed. Could sleep 8 in real beds. Has a utility room with washer, dryer, and ironing stuff. We drop our beach bags and stuff in there out of the way. I love standing at the kitchen counter/eating counter and looking out to sea. Looks like you're on a ship.

514 is a 2br unit that was refurbished between our two stays there. 2 br units have both of them at the rear. That was good when our DD was too scared to stay near the door alone, but now that we take a friend, we get the 3br and only use 2...just to get apart from them. The 3 showers do come in handy though...3 females can get ready at once!

You can go use the pools at Ariel if you want. There is a golf course, tennis courts, & workout room that faces the beach. There are golf villas and tennis villas too, but the photos look very old and dated.

If you have golfers, my friend says to book directly with Seascape to get a big discount on that. I've only booked thru VRBO myself. A local realtor comes by and collects the money.

Looking for a new beach this year - how does Destin compare to Sanibel Island? What is the closest airport?

Looking for a new beach this year - how does Destin compare to Sanibel Island? What is the closest airport?

The closest airport is Northwest Florida--call letters VPS (technically Valparaiso, FL, thus the call letters but also known as Fort Walton Beach.) Pensacola, FL is about an hour away to the west, and Panama City, FL is about an hour to the east.

Panama City Airport just got Southwest as well. I think it starts service in May?

Panama City Airport just got Southwest as well. I think it starts service in May?

Southwest is coming to the brand new Panama City Beaches airport. The airport itself will not open until May. I have priced tickets out of there though and they are more expensive than we pay out of Tallahassee, Jax or Tampa.

Sure. It is part of Seascape, along with Ariel Dunes I and II. They are behind MS, further from the beach, but they are TRUE high-rises so they can still have fabulous views. We pool-hopped there, but haven't stayed in them. A BFF has and loved it. She converted from a house-renter to there.
MS is about 10 stories tall. The others are more than 20. Yes, MS is across the 2 lane "old 98", but they have deeded beach access and there is NOTHING across from you but emerald water and sugar white sand. I would suggest the higher the better to get away from road noise, although it has not been loud with the sliders shut to me. Noisy on balcony only. There is heated indoor pool and an outside pool with 2 hottubs between the building and the road. There are two crossing areas with a button to push. Lights embedded in the street will light up and folks stop for you to walk. There is an A building and a B building. We've stayed in A-701 and A-514 (twice each). Both belong to a man named Bill (VRBO). 701 is on the east end, has 3 bedrooms with the split plan. Master on front with balcony. Guest rooms to the rear, each with a bath. One has a full/queen; other has two of them. No twins here.
One of two couches makes into a bed. Could sleep 8 in real beds. Has a utility room with washer, dryer, and ironing stuff. We drop our beach bags and stuff in there out of the way. I love standing at the kitchen counter/eating counter and looking out to sea. Looks like you're on a ship.

514 is a 2br unit that was refurbished between our two stays there. 2 br units have both of them at the rear. That was good when our DD was too scared to stay near the door alone, but now that we take a friend, we get the 3br and only use 2...just to get apart from them. The 3 showers do come in handy though...3 females can get ready at once!

You can go use the pools at Ariel if you want. There is a golf course, tennis courts, & workout room that faces the beach. There are golf villas and tennis villas too, but the photos look very old and dated.

If you have golfers, my friend says to book directly with Seascape to get a big discount on that. I've only booked thru VRBO myself. A local realtor comes by and collects the money.

Thanks for the info. Since there are three (or more?) high rises, is it really congested and busy? Is the beach really packed with people too? Thanks for the help.

I know Bookit.com has a promotion on right now for destin hotels. Other than that I would suggest Vbro.com as well. We stayed at the Hilton. It was nice ..but they generally are.

Have fun!! It's a great place!
Cheers
Lexy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter