Desperate for info! Are there double beds in accessible rooms? * UPDATE - Yes, there are!

HugsForEeyore

DIS Veteran
Hi,
I am desperate for any info! I am trying to find out if there are assessible rooms with two double beds at the resorts. Thanks to SueM in MN, I read some previous posts on this issue, and also read the conflicting info in them. I have a friend who uses a power wheelchair, and she is traveling in May to WDW with her health aide - so they need two beds! Just too pricy to get ajoining rooms. She does not need a barrier-free room, just one with grab bars in the bathroom. They are looking in the moderate resort price range.

Has anyone ever had two double beds in an assessible room???? Do they exist? Or perhaps a king bed with a rollaway? We are calling CRO in a couple of days so I need to be armed with all the information I can get! It would change our plans drastically if we can't get a room with two beds. I am getting quite worried!

Also - to make resort reservations, would I first call the general Disney reservation phone number, or the special reservation line?
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hugsmall3.gif

</IMG>

[This message was edited by HugsForEeyore on 01-28-01 at 10:37 PM.]

If she doesn't need a room with a bathroom to roll into. I'm almost 99% sure they do. I'm know our last room had grab bars in the tub and I think one on the right side of the toilet.

We have never used WDW Special Reservations, but I have read posts from people who used them for making their reservations and also from people who used them to make sure the reservations they already made were what needed. I think it works either way. Here's the number, in case I didn't post it before:
WDW Resort Special Reservations at (407) 939-7807 (voice) or (407) 939-7670 (TTY)

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

Thanks for the quick replys!!!

Oh dear ... I may not have explained this right - she needs a bathroom where the wheelchair can get close enough to make a transfer using the grab bars, so the chair would have to roll in at least part ways. But we do not need a roll-in shower, but if we got one that would be fine too. Does this kind of bathroom exist with at least two beds in a room? Oh well! Tomorrow we will call CRO and hopefully we are not the only ones to ever need two beds! :)

Thanks again!
hugsmall3.gif

</IMG>

Update ......
Great News!!!!

I can answer my own post for sure now .... I called CRO today to book a handicapped-assessible room with two beds in it!!! (For 6 nights in May for my friend and her health aide). The first CM I had was not experienced with assessible issues, so he transfered me to a WONDERFUL CM named Emily Sue who obviously knew about these things. I asked for a moderate resort, and she did some searching and told me that Dixie Landings and Port Orleans had double beds with assessible bathrooms! Great!!
I wanted Port Orleans but she told me the food court would be closed by then (May 2001), and we would have to go to Dixie Landings to eat! That's too much traveling for us (my friend is in a power wheelchair), so I said to book Dixie Landings (at $149 a night). She then told me Animal Kingdom Lodge was available for $159 a night!! It was a fully accessible room with one king bed but they will bring in a rollaway bed, which works for us!
As well, I booked a second room for me and my family - so I got both rooms at $159 a night!!! Animal Kingdom Lodge is brand new, and only one building, so we hope it will be easy to navigate and suit our needs really well!

I am sooooo happy!! Animal Kingdom Lodge, here we come!!! :) :) :) :) :)

hugsmall3.gif

</IMG>

WOW! That sounds fantastic. I don't know much about that lodge yet, but people on the resort board are bragging about getting an upgrade to it and people who don't have an upgrade are trying to figure out how to get one. So, your friend and your family are very lucky. I hope you have a great time. It should be a great place since it is brand new.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

This is exciting news! Please be sure to write a trip report when you get back - I am very interested in hearing more about AKL! Have fun!
Sue

dps.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!