Desert Inn and Suites or Castle Inn and Suites?

CraftyWitch

A sprinkle of Pixie Dust
I'd love to hear which you would prefer to stay at with your family and why. The first is a bit closer but the second is themed. Any experiences or advise is appreciated. We are going Nov 18 for a couple of days and have both booked but must decide now to cancel one. Can't wait!!! But I still haven't checked the refurbishment list....

We've stayed at both. The Castle Inn has a nice facade,other than that it's just a hotel.

I'd go with the closer one and/or least expensive. If you're going to use the pool, which has a better pool?

I've stayed at the DI&S and have no problem staying there again.
I've never stayed at he Castle Inn

I would stay at either, but assuming the number of beds and price (including resort and parking costs) are the same at both, I would choose DI&S because it is closer and has a small breakfast. The pools in November are of no interest to me. Have fun deciding!

Last edited:
I'm one of the rare ones that avoids DI&S... First, because of the management (mom-n-pop place, but they charged when I called in at 36 hours to cancel my reservation when my FIL died unexpectedly, after saying that they should be able to stop the charges). Second, because I ended up with folliculitis IMMEDIATELY after a dip in the hot tub. Third, because the beds were freakishly hard when I was there. I gave serious thought to sleeping on the floor, and actually ordered an air mattress to put on the bed when I still had reservations for another stay (before FIL passed). Lastly, at the end of a Disney day, the last thing I wanted to do was climb stairs... or wait for a slow elevator, then wait even longer because the laundry cart was on it.

So, even with a longer walk, I'd vote for Castle.

Which would you suggest going with?

I would agree with OnTheRoadAgain. As far as the pool goes @ DI&S,it's indoors,heavy chlorine smell. They charge for parking if I remember correctly.
Not sure about the Castle Inn though.

We've stayed at Castle Inn and really enjoyed it. They remodeled the rooms and renovated in 2014 I believe and the rooms even standard were spacious and very clean.
I did not use the pool but there is free parking , no breakfast but many choices nearby or in the parks or DTD.

Desert Inn is certainly closer but unless it's a really good deal I'd go with Castle Inn though I have no experience with Desert Inn personally.

I'd go with the closer one and/or least expensive. If you're going to use the pool, which has a better pool?

I've stayed at the DI&S and have no problem staying there again.
I've never stayed at he Castle Inn

Agree with this. We've also stayed at DI&S twice and not Castle Inn. If there is a noticeable difference in price, I'd go with the cheaper one. Otherwise I'd go closer. Keep in mind resort and parking fees and the value of the breakfast. DI&S was refurbed a few years ag0 updating rooms and expanding their breakfast area. This spring when we were there they were redoing their driveway. Pool is small, but indoors.

I've stayed at both a few times. Most recently, Castle Inn 3 weeks ago. We loved it! That walk is super long at the end of the day, but we enjoyed our stay. Room was clean, bed was comfy, pool and hot tub were decent. Staff was very nice. My preference would be DI&S, only if it was the cheaper option. Mainly because of the distance.

I only have experience with DI&S and must say that I agree with the poster above about the beds. They are rock hard. Now with that said, I also have a reservation there in May. I plan to buy a mattress topper to take with me. The location & price were hard to beat to not give it another try.

DI&S is much closer and has great wifi but their beds are definitely hard.

Castle Inn has more comfortable beds but is a further walk.

I would pick shorter walk and better wifi every time.

I never noticed the beds being hard...
I LIKE a comfy-soft bed and I didn't have a problem.

I guess I'm too pooped after a day in the parks.....

Geemo

I've stayed at both, most recently DI&S. I think Castle inn is a nicer hotel, but you can't beat the walk from DI&S.
I've been sitting here trying to decide which I'd pick between the two and I'm having trouble! For my family who are local and usually only do hotels 1 night so we don't have to drive early/late, I'd go with cheaper first. Then, I'd probably pick nicer (Castle) because the walk isn't going to matter much for one day. If I were staying a few days, I don't know. The walk to Castle isn't that bad, it's nicer, the theme is only on the outside, there's no breakfast, I don't think there's a parking fee, I don't know about the pool. DI&S is so close, the room was meh, the breakfast mediocre, the pool heavily chlorinated but warm and indoors, parking was by valet so fee plus tip.
Not sure if I helped at all! Good luck and have a great trip!

parking was by valet so fee plus tip.

Just wanted to note that you do not have to have your car valet parked at DI&S. We parked our own car both times we stayed, last stay was May. As long as there is room you can park your own car.

We stayed at Castle Inn the first week of October - not really themed but the rooms were spacious and the beds were comfy. There was lots of parking (we didn't use the pool) and no breakfast. Walk is longer than we are used to (we usually stay at Best Western Anaheim Inn) but the price was right ($80/night). Would stay there again if we got a good deal.

We just got back from 6 nights at the DI&S, have never stayed at CI. Loooved being so close to the parks. One day I forgot our PhotoPass, did not realize until we were by the crosswalk. I walked (fast but not running) to the room and caught up to DH and DD before they got to the turnstiles. We got room 216 which is on the 2nd floor and very close to the stairs, which was perfect since it was just one flight of stairs - not a big deal at the end of the day (and we closed the parks every night). I did not think the beds were hard, they are more like a memory foam so you kinda sink into them a little.

We had a car and parking was not an issue. We did have to valet park one day (charge is included you just need to tip) but that was our Hollywood day and we did not get back to the hotel until after 10PM. Breakfast was basic but not bad, DH said the coffee was better than at DLR. Pastries, cereal etc. We did not use the pool but there were kids there every night. We saw them cleaning the pool one day, they closed it for a few hours during the day. I got a great deal ($89) but I booked 9 months in advance.
The only other place we've stayed at while at DLR is the HoJo. Both were great but having the crosswalk a few steps away was awesome.

Here are some pics of the room - sorry for the mess, I forgot to take them before we unpacked and by unpacking I mean throwing everything everywhere before rushing back to the parks :)

Fridge, microwave, small table with 2 chairs, suitcase bench, 3 pretty deep dresser drawers.

Small area to hang things - but we do not travel with stuff that wrinkles anyway ;) DH said the coffe from the little machine was horrible and he did not drink it after that first try.

Big safe - would fit laptops and all kinds of electronics. We had 2 Kindles, 2 cameras and other random stuff in there and plenty of room for more.

I can't compare as have never stayed at the Carousel, but FWIW, I have never found the beds at DI&S to be uncomfortable, and have never been charged for valet parking. (and we've stayed there 20+ times)

Thank you all for the great advice. They both were very similar in price but I think for this trip, closest will win.

Another thing to take into consideration, for me at least, is whether there is a fridge and microwave included. I bring most of my own food for breakfast, to make sandwiches for lunches, my own fresh fruit, and quick to heat up dinners when I get back to the room at night. So, fridge and microwave are top priority for me. I'm not sure if Castle Inn has them, but I know DI&S does.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter