Describe your first hotel in Orlando..

First trip in 1991. A last minute 2 centre holiday booked through a now defunct operator (Trans America or something like that). First week was a Quality Inn on the 192 (West). It was the last motel on the LHS of the road before "nothing"! Lindfields is now there but we never ever explored further along that part of the road. Too adventurous for first timers :scared1:

We had no complaints about the motel. Clean, nice pool and had its own bar and restaurant. We even got a free breakfast because we had booked with this company. It later became a Howard Johnson but no idea what it might be now.

Second week was in the Bilmar Resort in Treasure Island. We still have no idea how we managed to get this hotel for the money we paid ;) Our room had a fridge and microwave (never expected this) and overlooked the beach and the Gulf of Mexico. Sipping a drink and watching the sunset was the moment that convinced us that Florida was the place to be :woohoo:

That's why I started the thread, everyone seems to stay in a cheap hotel the first time and get grander tastes the more they visit.

Right on!

My first 'proper' holiday to WDW was in 2003 for our Disneymoon (prior trip was back in 95 with un-planning, under-prepared relatives, at least they got a villa), stayed at the Quality Inn International. Loved it, but the restaurants lacked choice, the pool hours weren't suitable for our needs, and the air conditioner was the 747 engine from your first trip Kevin.... :rolleyes:

2006, and we knew the ONLY way to go was private villa for the flexibility we wanted, and the want for our own pool night and day! 6 weeks of constant villa hunting to find our 'perfect' place followed, won't stay anywhere else now! We'll even be getting first refusal if the owners (who are now good friends of ours) decide to sell up :goodvibes

That's why I started the thread, everyone seems to stay in a cheap hotel the first time and get grander tastes the more they visit.

Our first trip 1989 I think - we booked a last minute deal with Airtours AOA. We ended up at an Econolodge on the 192 near Medevil Times. There was nothing wrong with it - though I can't remember using the pool at all.

One night we came & there were ants in the bathroom - reception soon moved us and we never had another problem.

The next time - if I can go on :rolleyes1 - we booked a fly drive -you know to be young & free!! On arrival one half of 192 was down with a power cut - so we booked in a Days Inn for the fortnight as we got a good rate:rotfl: Never did much driving around that time.

On my first visit we stayed in the Comfort Inn Maingate West.

Anybody familiar with Sherbeth Road will now see the derelict blocks at the Black Lake Road/Sherbeth Rd/192 junction - opposite the Holiday Inn :laughing: I think there's a Colorado House of Beef where the lobby was.

It was basic but we were happy to have found somewhere as we;d only booked a flydrive & it was during Hurricane Andrew and Orlando was packed with southern Floridians escaping the storm

I progressed from there to an Econolodge (4 of us girls off HMS Ark Royal in the cheapest digs we could find :woohoo: ), to a Holiday Inn, then a condo before moving 'onsite'. When DD2 arrived we graduated to private villas but we still have the odd night at a Deluxe or DVC or at our new favourite - HRH :banana:

I Think reading some of these we were very lucky on our first trip. It was before the days of DIS and I just picked the hotel that looked the nicest on a picture in a holiday brochure.

We booked the Rosen Center or Omni Rosen as it was then and it was great.

Funny story though....
I was convinced that the windows were one way and that you could only see out and not in. So after some very hots days we would return to the room and I would strip off and then stand naked lookiing out of the window while the aircon cooled my dangly bits.....bliss on a hot day.

It was only after 4 days when laying by the pool that I noticed I could see people looking out of the windows on the same floor as us.

I did wonder why people were smiling and winking at me but I just thought all americans were friendly :D

First trip was 1990 with my mum and her sister (my Aunt), we stayed at the Grosvenor for 7 nights then went to Miami for seven nights staying at the Marco Polo on Sunny Isles, now the Ramada (I think). The Grosvenor was in a nice location for a non Disney hotel and we liked it, the Marco Polo was a whole different story but the staff made it so memorable!!!!

In 2001 I went with DH for our Disneymoon to the Grosvenor and it was as I remembered, but since staying on site in a Disney deluxe a year later for our first anniversary we have been spoilt!!! So much so we no own at AKV :teeth:

Claire ;)

:thumbsup2 The Radisson on Palm Parkway at LBV,DW was a TA at the time (this was a long time before her illness) working for AT Mays & Radisson was part of the group,I think we paid $45 a night.Actually the Hotel was great & we had this very nice lady at the Front desk who said hello to us everytime that we went thru' reception & always enquired if we needed any passes.Now those who have fallen into this trap know what's coming next!......We weren't long married so basically as skint as a baboon's.... Did we want some free Universal passes & a free breakfast,of course,next thing we know we are off to Vistana for a Timeshare presentation!Well talk about hardsell,even though we couldn't afford it we were informed that we would be able to rent it out till we were old & grey & how could the poor rep(we even knew the name of his kids,in fact we now had a vested intrest in their education!) be able to feed his family in fact if we didn't buy the US would go into a major recession & it would be all our fault!Finally after talking to the manager,then the manager's manager & then the manager's manager's manager....we got our passes,we were paraded like lepers to the bus back to the Hotel BUT US was great!:goodvibes
SD

stayed at some god forsaken place on international drive for millenium on our 1st visit, absolutely terrible place, cant remember the name....

never been off disney property since....

we go a couple of times each year and have stayed in all moderates and top ends at disneyworld. fantastic, cant praise them highly enough!!!

For me it was 1997 and the quality inn plaza on I-Drive.

what a dump! Concrete walls, musty and smelly. The lobby was fne, but the rest of the place. Sheesh. Had to go to pick someone up from there last year and it had gotten even worse!

They should just bulldoze it and start again.

The Wynfield for us in 1990. Still fairly new then. We thought it was alright and went back 4 times before we stayed on site and have stayed on site ever since.It was showing its age the last time we stopped but the location was good for us at the time.

my first stay was at akl in 2004 and was a fantastic first visit. we could not fault it at all. the whole experience was amazing

we now stay in a villa when we visit but thats because we like to keep ourselves to ourselves and find it suits us much better.

may possibly do another trip to alk for old times sakes one day

Great thread! I've really enjoyed reading these stories!

Our first trip was in 1994 - staying at Holiday Inn Maingate - which later turned in to Holiday Inn Nikki Bird but am not sure what has happened to it now.

We won our holiday in a competition with Homebase paint and having dreamt of a Florida holiday for years but never thought we could ever afford it, we thought all our dreams had come true. We spent a great 2 weeks and really enjoyed the hotel. Being strapped for cash, we had never stayed anywhere so nice at the time.

The next time (and the time after that), with finances improving, we stayed on site at CBR, with one further trip staying in a villa which didn't work well for us (too far out and too much driving) before our recent purchase at SSR - we are making our first trip home in 6 weeks.

Would never have believed all those years ago that we could afford a small slice of the magic - definately dreams come true!!

Our first trip in 97, we stayed in the 4* virgin flagship hotel Sheraton lakeside on 192 - now la quinta lakeside and to say i was disappointed with it is an understatement..

i thought it was awful! The airconditioning in our room was noisy and leaked rusty water all over the place. The carpet felt tacky underfoot that I refused to walk barefoot on it... the curtains did not fit the windows... leaving an 6 inch gap at the bottom of the curtains... and I thought it was horrible!
Actually, I cant think of anything nice to say about the hotel at all!

We complained but they said they couldnt move us. We also complained to Virgin on our return and said that we didnt think it should be a flagship hotel... for the reasons i mentioned.../ but they replied that they thought it should... and backwards and forwards we went.. but they refused any compensation. I decided (and told them)at that point I would never trust Virgin Holidays again... as that was not a 4* or indeed should be a flagship hotel and have never travelled with Virgin Holidays since...

We went back the following year and stayed at Dixie Landings and then the year after at Coronado Springs ... and now use our time shares at HGVC or DVC.

Your description of the "la quinta lakeside" is spot on, it trully does not live up to expectations, and changing its name fixes nothing:mad: It was not our first stay,but so awful I wanted to agree with you!!
We stayed there in 1999 , it was almost run down, we were only there for 5 days before going to the beach, but moved room 3 times to avoid sticky floors, musty smells and ants!!
We only now stay on WDW property, but this was a last minute trip with most of the time at the beach, over at Clearwater, thanks heavens!!

Our first hotel was back in 1992 at the Maingate West on the 192 ( think it was a Holiday Inn?) for our first trip it was basic but ok and great value at the time the children were 3 and 5 and were free with virgin!!

When we stayed at Disney movies in 2004, we even drove round the car park of the "la quinta lakeside" to see if they had put in any more effort but looked drab. Avoid..............

Going to the POP for 14 days then beach for 5 days next June 2009, always end up staying at Disney value hotel and spend the extra on flight upgrades. Thats a 4 year break since last trip so cant wait!! :woohoo:

:cool1:
My first hotel was The Grovesnor at LBV it was very nice and loved the area.:yay:
Sylvy :cheer2:

Our holiday of a lifetime trip was in 1997 when we stayed at All Star Music, and ate. slept and breathed Disney. We were hardly aware of the existence of anything outside of this special world.

Loved it so much we decided we had to go again, but by then we were aware of so much more! Next time round, in 2001, just after September 11th, we stayed on International Drive, at the Rodeway Inn. The hotel was fairly basic, although clean and the staff were very welcoming. THe rooms also had kettle and microwave, which was useful. We felt the location of theis hotel was excellent. We walked to Universal (to the amazement of the hotel staff), Wet n Wild was just across the road, restaurants a plenty etc.

We stayed at the Rodeway Inn again in 2002 and 2005.

We go again in December, but this time will be staying at Cypress Harbour, a Marriott Vacation Club Resort. Cant wait as it looks really good, located near Sea World.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter