Derrick & Jens DCLW - 10/16/11 Mexican Riviara Wonder - Guest Favor Delivery Question

btw, you are right about A-lines and dropped waists. I have full hips (even after losing 40 lbs) and A-lines are great and dropped waists are no-nos.

oh!! A DCL Bride..and a DCL WONDER bride...my very favorite!

How coincidental....I JUST watched your wedding on my way home from work today!!!! (I bus, no worries, you didn't cause any near accidents). But folks on the bus looked at me funny when I got teary eyed, you lucky duck deck 7!!!! Congratulations!! I absolutely loved your VR!

The Photography

So I have a question for cruise folks. I've seen mixed reviews on the Disney photo packages on board the cruise lines. Even some suggestions that recommended bringing your own (Yes Goldeelox if you're out there, I'm listening to you!). So I've started some research, AND some negotiations, but I'm terrified because I've also seen some posts about Disney being particular about outside photographers in their parks. So my question is this; Are there any rules against bringing a non-Disney sanctioned photographer on the cruises for weddings?

If not, I'm tickled pink!!!! I just met with a photographer today to discuss the potential of coming along on the cruise to take photos in exchange for cruise/flight costs. I enjoy the work she has posted, and her personality really seemed to gel with mine, we just needed to work out the nitty gritty (unfun) details, but she mentioned she would like us to bring her husband as well.

So I was fretting all night long and talked to my DF on what he felt would be reasonable. After discussion we were willing to offer her one of two options, pay for her cruise/flight only, or her and her husbands cruises but she would be responsible for their flights, in exchange for photography. She countered with wanting both cruise and flights paid for, BUT she would also be willing to travel with us to San Diego for our Chinese tea ceremony and reception. So we came to a happy medium. We agreed to pay for 1 flight (which is around $300), we would pay that as a holder fee up front so she has the liberty to schedule her and her husbands flights when they choose using those funds.

So long story short, the true difference from the offer my DF were willing to do, and what we ended up with was $300 more on our end, BUT we gained reception and tea ceremony photos that I was unsure I would be able to do with SD being so far from LA. I'm so excited! (and I think she was too!) Now not only will I have photos from our wedding, but we'll get pictures of me in my qipao along with the dancing lions at our reception!!!

LionDance.jpg

I think we did good? :yay:

So another option. She mentioned she would be willing to go on an excursion with us if we covered the cost. IE if I wanted to throw my dress back on and get some pictures off of the boat in Mexico all it would cost would be the cost of the excursion! (pretty good exchange for an extra photo shoot?)

I hope it all works out, she's drafting a revised contract for us (since this is new for both her and I). I'm so giddy!! :dance3:

Nope..Disney has no problem with your own photographer..that is the nice thing..as long as they are paid guests..they pretty much have the ship to photograph

Ooooh! How fun to do a Mexico excursion in your dress!!! I say do it! You'll want all those fun extra shots! :yay:

Ooooh! How fun to do a Mexico excursion in your dress!!! I say do it! You'll want all those fun extra shots! :yay:

Yeah, I agree, not to mention $60-100 bucks really isn't much for an additional photoshoot to top it off, just need to figure out what kind of excursion would lend itself best to being in a wedding gown .:laughing:

So a few updates! I have placed orders on my two gowns:
Dress2.jpg
and
Dress3.jpg

The white gown will be here by April 27th, and lordy knows how long it will take for the qipao. Now to find the accents...and here's where I need help!! I've never really done much jewelery so I'm not sure what will look best with my gown. So options that I'm torn between.

1. Something simple (pearls)
  2. Something sparkly (Swarovski)
  3. Something colorful (teal sparkly)

Here is a picture of the top of the dress in more detail....so now the quandary...what goes with this beading?!

detail.jpg

Ugh, pardon the multiple chins and my 'in process of growing out' hair!!! :blush:

I don't know why, but something colorful is jumping out at me to go with your dress!
It's lovely, good choice:thumbsup2

Ok, so I've slowly been collecting ideas for 'gift bags' for the guests coming on the cruise with us.

First conundrum. Before even inviting the 15 guests we planned for to the cruise, I made sure to validate the guest list with my FMIL. She pointed out a few that I had missed, and we quickly got up to 25 guests. I was willing to go up to 25 because the outlook venue held up to 25, so it would work out perfectly. We agreed on the finalized the list, sent off the email invitations, organized the reservations through our travel agent, and everyone is paid for their down payments and we're ready to go!

Almost, I was informed that verbal invites are still being issued beyond our finalized wedding list. Due to venue restrictions (and my absolute distaste for being married in a 'bar' on the ship), going above the 25 guest limit on board the cruise isn't an option for me. I've presented a few options to my FMIL, ranging from we elope and just honeymoon on cruise with everyone, to restrict the ceremony attendees to the original agreed upon guest list.

So, hopefully without too many hurt feelings, we will continue with the original agreed upon guest list for the ceremony, and anyone beyond that is welcome to join us on the cruise to celebrate with us the remaining days. I feel horribly selfish and guilty.

I had already started buying materials for our initial list of 25. I haven't been officially informed yet, but through the vine I've heard that an additional 8 are making reservations to join us as well. So the conundrum, do I go and purchase 8 more of everything, or go with the initial 'ceremony' list for wedding gifts? I'm not sure how the etiquette works on this! :confused:

Hello, Hello! Just caught up on your PJ and it looks great :thumbsup2 Those were my two favorite dress styles of the ones you posted earlier in thread, I think they are magnificent! We thought about doing a DCL wedding at first so it's really cool to see someone doing it, it's going to be lovely. Can't wait to read more popcorn::

Ok, so I've slowly been collecting ideas for 'gift bags' for the guests coming on the cruise with us.

First conundrum. Before even inviting the 15 guests we planned for to the cruise, I made sure to validate the guest list with my FMIL. She pointed out a few that I had missed, and we quickly got up to 25 guests. I was willing to go up to 25 because the outlook venue held up to 25, so it would work out perfectly. We agreed on the finalized the list, sent off the email invitations, organized the reservations through our travel agent, and everyone is paid for their down payments and we're ready to go!

Almost, I was informed that verbal invites are still being issued beyond our finalized wedding list. Due to venue restrictions (and my absolute distaste for being married in a 'bar' on the ship), going above the 25 guest limit on board the cruise isn't an option for me. I've presented a few options to my FMIL, ranging from we elope and just honeymoon on cruise with everyone, to restrict the ceremony attendees to the original agreed upon guest list.

So, hopefully without too many hurt feelings, we will continue with the original agreed upon guest list for the ceremony, and anyone beyond that is welcome to join us on the cruise to celebrate with us the remaining days. I feel horribly selfish and guilty.

I had already started buying materials for our initial list of 25. I haven't been officially informed yet, but through the vine I've heard that an additional 8 are making reservations to join us as well. So the conundrum, do I go and purchase 8 more of everything, or go with the initial 'ceremony' list for wedding gifts? I'm not sure how the etiquette works on this! :confused:

Stick with your original count or you are going to drive yourself crazy. Explain that you are restricted by size - if people still want to come on the cruise just to hang out, they shouldn't expect any "special" wedding stuff.

I am sort of in the same boat as you. I thought we had finalized our guest list and then when it was time to sign the contract, suddenly the list began to grow and grow. :scared1:

Hello, Hello! Just caught up on your PJ and it looks great :thumbsup2 Those were my two favorite dress styles of the ones you posted earlier in thread, I think they are magnificent! We thought about doing a DCL wedding at first so it's really cool to see someone doing it, it's going to be lovely. Can't wait to read more popcorn::

I'm excited to see how yours comes along as well, yours is so close too!!!

Stick with your original count or you are going to drive yourself crazy. Explain that you are restricted by size - if people still want to come on the cruise just to hang out, they shouldn't expect any "special" wedding stuff.

I am sort of in the same boat as you. I thought we had finalized our guest list and then when it was time to sign the contract, suddenly the list began to grow and grow.

Thank you for the support! It really helps me realize that I was just driving myself crazy trying to continually adjust to a moving target. So sticking to an original target guest list will make my life so much less stressful! lol

That being said, I've purchased some things, plan to purchase some others, and will be trying to figure a way to put them all together into one cohesive gift. The goal is to provide the wedding guests with a 'cruise survival bag', so it's less 'wedding favor', and more tailored to our event.

Already Purchased:
  • Walkie Talkies - one per couple
  • Pocket Lanyards - one per person
  • DIY Travel Mugs - one per person
  • Clothes pins - two per room
  • Pressure Bands - one set per couple
  • Highlighter - one per room
  • Disney Markers - one per room
  • Disney crayons - one box per room
  • Anti-bacterial Lotion - one per room
  • Travel Tissues - one per room
  • Disney playing cards - one per room

Walkie Talkies - To help coordinate onboard with the now 35 guests
51Zd4e8yUvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Pocket Lanyards - To carry room/charge cards as I know my bathing suit doesn't have pockets!
31V8m1GCdFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
and
41C59yW6CFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

DIY Travel Mugs - I hear the cups on the cruises are small, so I wanted something bigger for guests to not have to run for refills every 5min. I found these that will allow me to make them our very own 'wedding cups'
41Vew5UsHSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Clothes pins - to help pin together room curtains and/or hang wet suits
clothes-pins.jpg

Pressure bands - in case anyone gets sea sickness
51gIoMd8FdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Highlighter/Marker/Crayons - for daily schedule planning
images
51fVK83GEXL.jpg
images

Anti-Bacterial Lotion - From what I understand there are a lot of wipes to help prevent spread of germs onboard, but heard that it drys out hands so got lotion for the guests
images

Tissues - I know I'm going to need them, brought some for the other criers in my family!
tissues.jpg

Disney cards - found them at the dollar store, figured they'd be nice to have along side the pool
IzoPhGKOjiumLvF9n9YHJ819OumZqNQiif1hYiOKautMfvqExmsQMB1uuXHRZSkGXkpIXv8u1Ixq4B7ispiaj-FwyakYq0y0wIq-9I1CluA3LyNDFUYZTTspjnBxvHXzTuxO-77Y8YFjD7BvwLt-uvJEWY5KUgiGL-XsAtoA7s-U9g

Any other suggestions on what would be good to include on the cruise? I plan to make 'mickey ears' for the doors, and I'm trying to hunt down some way to allow guests to wash their cups in their rooms.

That being said, I've purchased some things, plan to purchase some others, and will be trying to figure a way to put them all together into one cohesive gift. The goal is to provide the wedding guests with a 'cruise survival bag', so it's less 'wedding favor', and more tailored to our event.

Already Purchased:
  • Walkie Talkies - one per couple

• With the new Wave phones, you shouldn't need walkie talkies!! Maybe you can return them?

I am making a cruise "bare necessities" kit for my FE group. My list so far is similar to yours:

- highlighter
    - clothespins
    - zip tie (to secure FE)
    - chapstick
    - tylenol (little individual packs)
    - bandaids
    - silly bands for the kids

You've given me some good ideas. Where can I find pressure bands?

Maybe you can put everything in a cute tote bag or beach bag with your wedding logo on it (if you have one). :goodvibes

With the new Wave phones, you shouldn't need walkie talkies!! Maybe you can return them?

I am making a cruise "bare necessities" kit for my FE group. My list so far is similar to yours:

- highlighter
- clothespins
- zip tie (to secure FE)
- chapstick
- tylenol (little individual packs)
- bandaids
- silly bands for the kids

You've given me some good ideas. Where can I find pressure bands?

Maybe you can put everything in a cute tote bag or beach bag with your wedding logo on it (if you have one). :goodvibes

What are these new wave phones, I thought it was just for parents/children?

Pressure bands you can get on amazon. I picked mine up here: http://www.jr.com/travelpro/pe/TVP_17007ML01/

and you've read my mind. I've already picked up fabric and cut it for this tote pattern, seems to be the easiest one I can find, and I finally found fabric I love: http://www.skiptomylou.org/2009/07/17/how-to-make-a-simple-reversible-totebag/

I'll post pictures as I get them put together.

I love your chapstick, tylenol (little individual packs), and bandaids idea, I may have to do this as well :D

Would you be good enough to share where you got the DIY travel mugs from? I have been searching everywhere on line for something similar!!
Thank you so much!!!

It is my understanding that there are 2 Wave phones are in each room, they are portable, and you can talk and text to other Wave phones on the ship. They are different from the kids club pagers; although, I think the kids club now uses these Wave phones to communicate with pagers.

I haven't done much research on it, but if you go over to the Cruise section of the DIS boards and do a search for "wave phone" you will find a whole bunch of info.

Thanks for posting the tote pattern!!!

Would you be good enough to share where you got the DIY travel mugs from? I have been searching everywhere on line for something similar!!
Thank you so much!!!

Ack, so, these were another amazon buy. I picked them up because they were only $2 apiece at the time (at a 6 pack they were 11.99).

but here they are on amazon with a whopping price tag of 21.73, ouch:scared1:

I searched to see if they were lower elsewhere since amazon has skyrocketed the price and found the exact same cups here on designed2bsweet.com and at a price point of 14.99 for 6 atleast you can save a few bucks (whats that 2.60/cup?):thumbsup2

Hope that helps

It is my understanding that there are 2 Wave phones are in each room, they are portable, and you can talk and text to other Wave phones on the ship. They are different from the kids club pagers; although, I think the kids club now uses these Wave phones to communicate with pagers.

I haven't done much research on it, but if you go over to the Cruise section of the DIS boards and do a search for "wave phone" you will find a whole bunch of info.

Thanks for posting the tote pattern!!!

So I did read up a bit last night. I'm not sure though, sounds like they act like actual phones and have no clips attached to them to help you tote them around the ship...I don't know about everyone else, but I'm going to have something sweet and alcoholic in one hand, be lounging in my bathing suit...and I'll figure out the other hand later...chocolate maybe? Knowing that, I wonder if walkies are still more convenient for large groups, instead of needing to call 16 couples to coordinate, we would just need to push one button to announce to the group, and they've got convenient clips on them. I'll have to ask my DF what he thinks. But good idea none-the-less!

Oh and no problem on the tote pattern, it was the simplest I could find and still looked great, but I changed a couple of the measurements to maximize fabric. Instead of the 14x12, and instead of cutting every seam requiring extra sewing, I cut 12 inch bands off of the bolt (or have the fabric store do this for you, that would have been SO much easier), so you end up with a piece that is 12 inch by 44 inch. Cut it in half so you have two pieces of 12 inch by 22 inch pieces. Stop cutting there, those are the two pieces for the sides. Sew up the left and right edge, and repeat for the 'liner', and then follow the rest of the instructions as listed on the tutorial. You end up with a bag that is 12x11 instead of 14x12, so you lose a couple inches, but gain a goodly chunk of sanity and waste less fabric. (I actually have no 'scraps')

(Geeze I hope that doesn't sound as confusing as it looks....)

Love all of your cruise essentials! :)

And I never knew such a thing existed for sea sickness! A pressure band!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter