Depression medications with no or less weight gain

TottenKing

You don't need a weather man to know which way the
Good evening, friends.

I'm wondering what experiences you all have had with the newer depression medications. I've had major depression several times (including now) but the medicine they treat it with packs weight on me like crazy (tens of pounds) and that makes me more depressed. Wellbutrin, the only one not supposed to cause weight gain, triggers the intrusive thought pattern of my OCD (something I can just wince at and shake off once or twice a day but that will become quite disturbing if it's in full force).

I spent two years trying to convince my family doctor that I'd gained lots of weight without explanation. I switched to a new doctor who understood that thyroid problems don't always show up in the blood. After some physical tests, I've been on synthroid for about six months and am starting to take some of the weight off. So...I'm a little sensitive about the weight gain issues right now (and I'm short and have no place to put extra pounds.).

So I'm headed back to my doctor tomorrow. I really like him and he's very compassionate about my feelings about the weight gain. I was just wondering, in advance, what you all have had experience with.

Thanks in advance. -Tina

Myself personally I have not taken depression medications but I have seen it cause weight gain in friends....I think you are on the right track getting help from your doctor and with taking synthroid for thyroid issues will get your thyroid working correctly and help as well. I also think some meds just keep the weight on, not necessarily just depression meds.

The fact that you have an understanding doctor well that just about says it all. I too battle the weight and it is not fun. I try to go to the gym 5 days a week, do spinning classes, weights.. cardio for at least 45 minutes. If you can and have the time, try the 45 min of cardio even just walking. Going to the gym just helps me get the day started, keeps my head straight and keeps me positive.

You are on the right track.....

Thank you for your support, Mackey Mouse. I went to the doctor today and, like always, he was very understanding. He prescribed a new MAO inhibitor called Emsam. It's a patch and doesn't have a lot of weight gain associated with it. Plus, even though it's an MAOI, it has only drug interaction restrictions (not dietary ones) at this dose. It made me feel better not to be depressed and have to give up my goat cheese salad.

Nonetheless, we'll see how it goes!! :thumbsup2

another one for you to look into is Cymbalta. From all the research and questions I have asked..it is supposed to be the most weight neutral anti -depressant out there. I was on it and didnt gain weight..My dr switched me to effexor xr..I gained 25 pounds and hated the meds itself. I am of off that one now and will be going back on cymbalta after I finish a clinical trial.

Hope your new meds help !!

another one for you to look into is Cymbalta. From all the research and questions I have asked..it is supposed to be the most weight neutral anti -depressant out there. I was on it and didnt gain weight..My dr switched me to effexor xr..I gained 25 pounds and hated the meds itself. I am of off that one now and will be going back on cymbalta after I finish a clinical trial.

Thank you! I hope everything goes well for you, too.

BTW, I was on Effexor once before and it gave me B.O.!! Like a garlic-type smell. Ew!!!

Hey there,
I'm not sure if I can help much but here in the UK I am on a drug called Citalopram (I don't know if there are other names/brands for it in the US) but it does help. I spend some time living with my cousin every week and she can always tell if i've not taken it (even if I've only missed one dose).

I've found no problems with my weight, my side effects include a funky/nasty dream every now and again and the odd sleepless night if i've missed a few doses or if my dosage is changed, and at first my water seemed to pass more frequently, but on the whole I think it's treated me pretty well.

I hope this helps and if I can help any more then please get in touch, I've also had assistance from a mental health advisor and am currently under a psychologist as well as registered with a counsellor so please, if you need any further advice I would love to see someone return to full mental health as successfully as I am.

Kirsty

Chiming in real late on this one... I'm currently on 300mg of Wellbutrin XL, and 10mg of Lexapro. I've been on Wellbutrin before and never gained weight. For me it was almost like an appitite supressent. And I haven't gained this time either. But both times have been when I' had broken up with my long time boyfriend. So I really didn't, and still don't have much of an appitite. But everyone's body is different. You may exhibit OCD tendecies - I experience insomonia. I have trouble staying asleep at night. I can fall asleep pretty much just fine, but it's the staying asleep that's my hard part.

Sometimes it's just trial and error till you find what works for you. Good Luck! :goodvibes

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone! I've been on the Emsam patch now for about four weeks and it seems to be working pretty well. My doctor is keeping me in samples because, even after my very decent insurance, it would cost me a little over $100/month.

BTW, I did try Wellbutrin last year and, you're right...it did aggravate my typically-not-too-intrusive OCD. I have had some sleep disturbance with the Emsam patch, though, but he says he can put me on Ambien, which I've taken before with great success.

Thanks, again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter