• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Deployed, but not Iraq

LynnythePooh

Mouseketeer
Do any of you have spouses, family deployed in support of those in Iraq or Afgahnistan - my DH is in Kuwait. He's been gone for 6 months and everytime I tell someone where he is they begin to tell me how lucky I am.

In many ways I am lucky - I understand the blessing of a safer place for him to sleep at night and eat his meals, but it's still hard for me and two DS's. We still miss him, we worry about his safety and wonder when he'll be coming home. Soldiers are dying in Kuwait too -

Just wondered if anyone out there has had the same experience?

:grouphug: :grouphug: I understand what you are going through. Its hard for people that have never been through it to know. I know when my DS first went to Germany people were telling me how lucky I was it wasn't Iraq. I knew he was only going to be in Germany a few weeks before he went to Iraq, but other people didn't understand that.

My husband just got home after a year in Kuwait. The worst experience i had was that someone i am very close to-who is active duty while hubby is guard-told me that he didnt think the guys in kuwait deserved combat patches cause they werent in real fighting. The fact that the job my husband did saved the life of the person making that statement more than once made me really mad

Not now during the war, but 7-8 years ago my husband (AF) was stationed in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. He was in a nice condo on a US military compound and not in the Tent Cities the army had further north. He got some luxuries others didnt, trips to Jordan to play golf while on leave, nightly phone calls home to me, etc. Because of that, people had a harder time understanding that he was still serving in a dangerous area. He still had to travel off base with a civilian shirt over his uniform in an armor panelled SUV and go thru multiple security checkpoints. Knowing that he had luxuries that others didnt did not make me worry or miss him any less.

Your DH is making big sacrifices right now and deserves his combat pay! I hope you are all safely reunited soon!

Not my husband, but my best friend is continually frustrated by the way people react to his serving in Korea right now. Still combat pay, still a war zone.

I am humbled by your sacrifice and your husband's service. God keep him safe.

While dear hubby is seperated from most of the bad stuff by a couple of feet of steel ( he is stationed aboard and aircraft carrier that is waay closer to Iraq than I ever thought he would be, his normal cruises are cutting squares in the med), I still worry endlessly even more since the bombing of the USS Cole while his situation is not nearly as dangerous as those on the ground I still worry. The way I see it if you are away from the United States in a place that is know for unfathomable(is that even a word ,oh well it is now) violence the likes that we only see, not live on a day to day basis then there will always be cause for worry. People can get upset because we get extra money but in the long run I would rather have my hubby home than get it unfortunately until the whole word believes that we are all equal and deserve equal treatment then we will always have need for an armed forces and men and women who will be in harms way even if the harm is not apparent to those of us back home. Support Our Troops. Ok getting off my step stool the kids need it to wash their hands. :blush:

Hi there,

These were great places to stay I had to drive daily around the south of Iraq and ALL places in that area deserve honours. At least the US military welcome there troops unlike ours.

I totally understand! Dh was in the Green Zone and everyone told me on and on how lucky I was to have him there. Granted, but it still got fired at and they still went outside for various reasons. I just don't think too many people understand the separation is hard enough, no matter where they are. I got the same thing when he was gone for his year in Korea. At least it's not Iraq. Hang in there.

Yes my husband is deplyed in Korea for 18 months EIGHTEEN
we had only been married for 15 when he left and people tell me how lucky I am but as someone else said, Korea isn't all peaches and cream, and its the seperation that hurts so bad *sigh*

casndan said:
Yes my husband is deplyed in Korea for 18 months EIGHTEEN
we had only been married for 15 when he left and people tell me how lucky I am but as someone else said, Korea isn't all peaches and cream, and its the seperation that hurts so bad *sigh*

An 18 month remote? Why? That STINKS! Is your DH Army or AF? Hugs!

He's Army, thanks for the hugs, I really really need them :( its just really hard for me right now, I've never been through anything like this and I'm not on a base so I don't have any kind of family support group that I can go to, some days I just feel like I don't want to do anything I just want to quit my life and go be with him, but I know I can't I try to take it one day at a time but at moments it feels like the days are just going much too slow 5 months he's been gone as of yesterday he was supposed to come home on leave March 2nd, I was counting down the days, and I had been doing so good, then they canceled his leave and it felt like my heart had been ripped out I know this is a horribly depressing thread but I Just needed to get it out someway Please someone pray that some pixie dust will come my way..... :sad2:

casndan said:
He's Army, thanks for the hugs, I really really need them :( its just really hard for me right now, I've never been through anything like this and I'm not on a base so I don't have any kind of family support group that I can go to, some days I just feel like I don't want to do anything I just want to quit my life and go be with him, but I know I can't I try to take it one day at a time but at moments it feels like the days are just going much too slow 5 months he's been gone as of yesterday he was supposed to come home on leave March 2nd, I was counting down the days, and I had been doing so good, then they canceled his leave and it felt like my heart had been ripped out I know this is a horribly depressing thread but I Just needed to get it out someway Please someone pray that some pixie dust will come my way..... :sad2:

Awww, hon! I'm so very sorry! Send me a PM & I'll be happy to exchange email addy's with you. My hubby left 9 July, so we're over halfway through at least. I agree, though, this morning I thought I was going to cry my heart out. Our 9yo DD stood there hugging him and sobbing, and grabbed hold of his sweatshirt and refused to let go, begging, "Please don't go, Daddy. Please stay just one more day." I'm crying just as I sit here typing this. Most people just don't understand the sacrifices we make daily, regardless of whether our husbands are in Iraq, Afghanistan, on a ship, in Asia, even at home or just on a TDY.

I think when people tell you that you are "lucky" he's there...they forget that as the one left behind, you need support too. My husband and I are in Kuwait now, we'll be here at least a year, so Your husband is, indeed, very lucky to be here. You are lucky in the respect that he is quite safe and it's Truly not a bad place to be. But...in regards to you and your kids...the only way that you are lucky is that you can have a little less stress in worrying about your DH. You still have all the same "home" worries, and a lot of the same worries about him that you would have if he were in Iraq.

Just today we were talking to one of our friends who was telling us about his conversation with his wife last night. She called him in TEARS because she couldn't get the mower started. Sounds funny...but it's not. Not to her. I know because I was in that Same spot when my ex was deployed. I was sitting on the lawn BAWLING because I couldn't get the mower to work right.

I think people just need to realize that the person left behind needs a TON of support too. I'm sorry that you are going through this and am here if you ever want to talk!! :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter