Dental Hygiene careers??

dsanner106

DIS Veteran
I am trying to help my DD with her career path and am hoping for some advice. She is soon to be a senior in HS and thinks she would like to be a Dental Hygienist, particularly pediatric. I see educational programs that are 2.5 yrs, Bachelors, Masters and am wondering the advantages/disadvantages of each. My first inclination is to suggest the shortest one, get a job and complete the bachelors while working so she will have some income sooner, but don't know how much she can make with an associates degree. Should she just bite the bullet and go for the Bachelors? What opportunities would a Masters open up? Does anyone in the field have advice on this? Thanks for any help.

Drew

Dental Hygienists make great money They use the Dentist's office, equipment, etc. and just show up. Many hygienists only work certain days of the week. It's a great career choice if she is interested. Dental Hygiene programs aren't easy to get into. I would never advise someone to obtain an associate's degree over a bachelor's. If she can get in the bachelor's program she should do it. She will never regret getting her degree if she decides to go further in her chosen career or another later. It's only an additional 2 years which, as a mother, you know will go by in the blink of an eye.

My father was a dentist for 46 years, my brother is a dentist, my cousins and uncles are dentists. Twenty years ago when I was in my early 20's my father was paying his hygienists $250 a day. I can't imagine that figure has decreased, but I am sure there are hygienists on this DIS who can give you current figures.

Good luck to your daughter.

OP, my best friend is a dental hygienist and I would have to respectfully disagree with the previous poster. Noticed you are in the south as well and I believe Georgia is on the same line of pay as we are, at least I know they are in most health care jobs. Anyway, my friend does not make $250 per day, she makes less. She makes $250 a day if she does fill in work such as subbing for a sick hygienist at another office. The vast majority of these positions offer no benefits and many offices are only open 4 days per week. I would check in to this in your area. I have a friend working in Louisiana also similar. Now my mother has a friend in California who is paid well and has good benefits but this is a different area. She also has a masters as it is what is expected in her area. Per my friend, if this is something your daughter wishes to consider, she needs a bachelors and yes, hygiene school is difficult to get into. Good luck to her!

I actually used to manage a pediatric dental practice that was part of a hospital. The hygienists there were paid well and got great benefits. Sure they might have been able to make more money in a private practice situation but I think the benefits they received outweighed that.

I know that whenever we had an opening it was very difficult to find replacements so at least in our area they seemed to be in short supply. We considered all applicants equally whether they had an associate's or a bachelor's degree.

My mom graduated from hygiene school pregnant with me. She has worked hygiene all my life. I am a dentist and she has been working for me since I opened my own practice 6 years ago. It is a great career with good pay and often flexible hours, but has its drawbacks. Most private practices in my area (Houston) pay about $250/day. For the most part, there are no benefits, insurance, or retirement plans. If you work for a chain clinic, pay may be more and benefits are available but hours are worse, often working weekends or evenings. Also, the competition for jobs is tough, at least around here. About once a week I have an RDH dropping of a resume looking for a full time job. There is a lot of temp work available, but you are working all over the place. Most offices, when they get a good one, keep their hygienists until they retire.

I would recommend volunteering at a dental office and letting her see if it is something she likes. Most people do not realize not everyone brushes everyday. I have lost a few assistants right out of school because of queasy stomachs!!

I agree with the above poster...job shadow first. We have a lot of job shadowers come into to our office and several have fainted! One during a prophy with very little blood, she said mouths grossed her out...maybe try a different career? It's a great career with great pay, you can work 1-2 days, full time or even sub. In Ohio the pay is not nearly $250.00. But I have seen some hgyt wanting $200 a day. We have OSU that has a 4 year program and a local college with the Associate Degree program. One of the dentists I worked with only wanted a 4 yr degree and it was very hard to find one with that even though we are only an hour away from OSU.

This was my plan all through HS. I shadowed at a dentist's office for 6 months and changed my mind even though I had a perfect application for the program. I just didn't like it at all! Average starting pay here is about $16 an hour. Many girls here get certification and jobs as assistants, go to work and let the dentist they work for pay for the "bridge" program to make them hygienists. But you can never be too educated in your field if you go into any type of medicine.

I am hoping that I can provide a little bit of a different perspective, I went to Dental Hygiene School and got my associates degree. I worked as a Dental Hygienist for about 10 years. When I graduated Hygiene school I worked and was paid per patient. Then I moved to a private practice and made about $20 per hour and worked my way up to almost $30/hour. Then I had my 1st child and returned to work after she was born, then when baby #2 came along, I had no desire to return to the DH field. A few years ago an office offered me a job making about $22/hour now it was in a different market than where I was making $30 however still not considered a good DH salary. Now that I have retired from Dental Hygiene, Here I am with an associate degree and no Bachelor's degree which makes it difficult to change careers...So my point is that you may make the same whether you have an associates degree or a bachelor's degree, but if you ever want to change careers the Bachelor's is definitely beneficial to have under your belt to open up your options.

So my point is that you may make the same whether you have an associates degree or a bachelor's degree, but if you ever want to change careers the Bachelor's is definitely beneficial to have under your belt to open up your options.

Very good point, especially for a HS senior just graduating. It seems that many hgyt get burnt out and have a degree where they can do one thing and get paid well. A friend of mine got a part time job making just above minimum but she loved it. She only worked 2 days a wk as a hygt so was able to get another PT job, but with a very low salary.

Good suggestions one and all, the other factor in this is that there are 2 bachelor programs in the state and have very few openings. THey require at least a 3.5 ,which she is in the ballpark of, just to apply and as I understand, no-one gets in with just that. My thought is that with the 2 yr degree and some actual work experience, she will be far more likely to be accepted and can complete the 4 yr degree later. It sounds like people are being hired with the associates and this might work. I would love to hear any other thoughts or experiences,
thanks
Drew

I have been a dental hygienist for about 13 years. The above responses are interesting to me. Must totally depend on where you live.
In my area there is only associates programs. I have worked for 3 dentists and not one of them ever asked what kind of degree I had or what my gpa was. As long as I had a license they were fine.
Starting pay in my area is between 16-19 an hour. I have worked my way up to over 30 an hour and that is very good. I also don't take ins that is offered in my office so he makes up for some of that in my salary. I have full time benefits working only 25-28 hours per week. I have 5 weeks pd vacation and sick days. 401 K and pd for uniforms.
At this point in my life I'm glad I didn't go on to get my bachelors. I guess it is what you want to do with it. I enjoy working in a general dentistry practice.
As you can tell it is very different from state to state.

When I graduated in 1988, the pay was 14-18 an hour- fast forward- I am now at 41 with benefits. i have an associate degree- i was going to go to another 2 years but the thought of all that school again- I needed a break!
Hygiene has been very good to me- When the kids were little, I could work a Saturday and mak food shopping and entertainement money. as the kids got older I could have a sitter at 3:00, my dh would be home by 5 and I would get 3 or 4 hours in a couple of times a week.
Now that they are older I can work full time(4 days a week).
Go for the Bachelor's- no question! I am rethinking what am I going to do when my hands give out- 2 years isn't enough these days or in the future-I believe anyway. Iould pay for it myself- nothing like being tied to a boss you might not want to be committed to for x number of years. Dentistry is different. There are no scheduled breaks- practicing philosophies are different- I would see a variety of patients- don't limit yourself to pediatrics- fun but easy to lose skills.
Be prepared to go to school for three hours to have your teeth cleaned- they studenta ALWAYS need patients!:woohoo:

I'm a hygienist since 1999. I have a bachelors because I went back after my associates. However, the school I went to no longer offers assoc. degrees. With a BS you can become a rep for a company, teach clinical at a hygiene school, run a community dental health program. With a masters you can become a professor in dental hygiene programs, conduct research and surely many other things I'm not thinking of.

Dental hygiene is a fun career that allows you to meet many people and serve the public. In my opinion, the best hygienists are "type A" personalities who are a bit obsessive compulsive. You have to be able to go with the flow, too, because you never know what a day will bring you. Being self driven is also important.

There are cons of being in any profession. Some for hygiene include often lack of insurance and benefits; back, neck, hand, and wrist pain; high stress levels.

Pros include flexible schedules, good pay, free dentistry.

I'm sure others could add to the pro/con lists.

If it were my child, I'd encourage her to look towards a bachelors degree because there is a high rate of burnout. You want her to have other options if she decides patient care isn't all she wants to do. It is possible to work and make money and go back to school, but it's so hard. I was already a mom and had to go back to school at night and work during the day. I was only able to do it because I had help from my family.

I also agree that she should shadow in an office.

I wish her good luck in her chosen profession!:thumbsup2

I agree with the above poster...job shadow first. We have a lot of job shadowers come into to our office and several have fainted! One during a prophy with very little blood, she said mouths grossed her out...maybe try a different career? It's a great career with great pay, you can work 1-2 days, full time or even sub. In Ohio the pay is not nearly $250.00. But I have seen some hgyt wanting $200 a day. We have OSU that has a 4 year program and a local college with the Associate Degree program. One of the dentists I worked with only wanted a 4 yr degree and it was very hard to find one with that even though we are only an hour away from OSU.

I work in College Recruitment - and you would be surprised at the people that want to be a Nurse, yet can't stand the sight of blood. Or they want to be a teacher and have never worked with kids. Or they want to be a Doctor but don't like hospitals or clinics. OR - my personal favorite - they want to major in Business and own their own business...but they have no idea what type of business....

Yeah - we really get to hear it all!

I had a student once that wanted to be an Accountant "Because they make 'good' money" - but yet the student hated math, and didn't have a grade over C on any math class in High School - and was not prepared for College Algebra!

Far too often students don't think about how they will 'LIKE' the field before they decide to pursue it in college. :confused3

I have a friend who has been a hygienist for about 20 years in both the San Antonio and Houston/Sugar Land Texas areas. She started on a bachelor's degree then decided to go to hygiene school, never completed the bachelor's and on and off took a few classes towards a degree and just now is making an effort to complete her degree on-line. She would eventually like to teach in the field and I was surprised she said this actually pays less typically. She seems to love her job but even then, knows that she can't do this forever. After many years you tend to develop back problems and possibly carpal tunnel and I just don't think it is something you can do until retirement age for other careers.

I have been a Dental Hygienist for 20 years. When I first started DH was in college so I worked 5-6 days per week. After I had my daughter I gradually started decreasing my days and also started a home business. I know work hygiene 1 day per week (looking at adding one more day). I travel a lot and still have my home business. I keep pretty busy. I have an associate's degree and as long as you want to work in a clinical setting that is all you need to have in order to have a good job. I worked in Portland, OR for 18 years and now the last 2 years have been in Austin, TX. I make $320 per day with no benefits (sometimes my dentist will pay for a CE class). I love part time because I have lots of flexibility with when I take off. My DH has always had good benefits so I have not had to worry about that since his college days. I do have to put away for my own retirement savings but that is pretty easy.

I was lucky enough to work pediatric for 7 years. I can tell you there are very few jobs for a hygienist in a pediatric office. Most hygienists are in a general practice treating patient's from ages 2-100.

This was the best Mom job I could have ever asked for and I love my career. I have never looked back about an associates degree because I have always wanted to stay in a clinical setting. You have to do what you love and I know most dental hygienists only practice an average of about 5 years. This is a career hard on the neck, back, arms and hands.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter