Democrat calls for the Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
crazyforgoofy said:
Oh yes we are talking about Vietnam (and there was nothing fllippin about it). The men (and I use the term loosely here) who were and are so vehemently proud of sending our young people into harms way are the same people who were too busy to serve or got Daddy's pals to hide him in Alabama or showed the draft board their anal abcesses during Vietnam.

And, of course, the generals lie. They can only say what the Secretary of Defense allows them to say.
OK, you go ahead and fight a 40 year old fight.

I'll be concentrating on the here and now.

JennyMominRI said:
Im a girl and I went to boot camp with a 38 YO women in 1988..It took wavers,but she got iin...

Wavers, like "the wave", or people standing along a parade route waving???

Or waivers?

JK

It was all the deaths from Vietnam that probably prompted the repeal of the draft in the '70's. It would be ironic if all the deaths from Iraq would be one of the indirect reasons to prompt the reinstatement of it.

TCPluto said:
Wavers, like "the wave", or peole standing along a parade route waving???

Or waivers?

JK
They all did this:
wavey.gif

Kidding! Totally got it. I make typos, too. :)

TCPluto said:
Wavers, like "the wave", or people standing along a parade route waving???

Or waivers?

JK
I also went to Boot Camp with a woman with narcolepsy...No kidding,she would be standing on line and she would fall asleep..Needless to say they discharged her.
I dont know why Im telling this story but there you have it

charlie said:
“annoys a Republican more” …hmmm..seems like both sides don’t want to touch it.

“Rangel said he will propose a measure early next year. While he said he is serious about the proposal, there is little evident support among the public or lawmakers for it.

In 2003, Rangel proposed a measure covering people age 18 to 26. It was defeated 402-2 the following year.”

In 2003 he (Rangel) voted against the very measure he proposed. It was clear he never intended to go through with it and only did it to score political points. It was widely viewed as a cheap shot then, with no chance of passing and I'm sure that his latest comment, is just more of the same.

JennyMominRI said:
I also went to Boot Camp with a woman with narcolepsy...No kidding,she would be standing on line and she would fall asleep..Needless to say they discharged her.
I dont know why Im telling this story but there you have it
I'm guessing you're telling that story because it is funny! :rotfl:

Not the kind of thing you'd forget. :)

From an active duty military perspective...and Yes, I've been over there 2 times....

IMHO, Instituting a draft would not be the best solution to the problem of being stretched thin. It would take a long time for the ramp up..we'd probably see the results of troop increase in 1 1/2 to 2 years. Also, the folks that would be conscripted might not want to be there. Ever work in a job where you were forced to be there and might result in your death? Misery for them and everyone around them. I think we have smart, well trained troops now; and folks that want to be there. Trust me, we know the costs well. We know that certain jobs in the military are "stop lossed," meaning you may not be able to get out when you planned on. This isn't a surprise when we sign the enlistment contract, or take a military commission.

Those of us serving in the military don't make policy, we enforce it. So whether you are for the war or against it, the only thing you can do is vote accordingly. That and support your troops.

Btw, there are both Republican and Democrats on the hill whose children serve currently.

I think people are concerned that with a draft, and forcing people to serve their country, that it may result in a force that is not as effective.

And that's a bunch of hooha to get out of taking responsibility for the war that belongs soley to the Bush camp and those that championed the war. Show me a drafted soilder who didn't fight to the best of his ability and with the best of his knowledge and I'll disagree, until then I think you just belittled every man ever drafted into any service. All soldiers, whether drafted or volunteer, serve to the best of their ability, their lives depend on it. They can't afford to do less.

Rangel has done this before - he has no intentions of actually starting a draft; he just wants to make a point. Most politicians who might vote for it know it would be political suicide to support a draft.

Most people in the military don't support a draft because it would be counterintuitive to have people there who don't want to be there. If there was a draft, upper class people wuld still get out of it and disgruntled lower class people who DON'T want to be there would fill the ranks. I'd rather the Army (gasp!) lower their standards on who they let in rather than draft people who qualify but don't want to be there.

Saffron said:
And that's a bunch of hooha to get out of taking responsibility for the war that belongs soley to the Bush camp and those that championed the war. Show me a drafted soilder who didn't fight to the best of his ability and with the best of his knowledge and I'll disagree, until then I think you just belittled every man ever drafted into any service. All soldiers, whether drafted or volunteer, serve to the best of their ability, their lives depend on it. They can't afford to do less.

Well I guess you will just see it from your perspective, but I think that's a reasonable explanation. I personally believe that the majority of drafted vets in Vietnam did give it their best, but then were rewarded by coming home to some protesters shaming them for their service. That is just a reality of the way things were.

Saffron said:

Whether or not they want to be there doesn't affect their performance, IMO. It does, however, affect morale, and most military people I know think it would affect morale even more than multiple deployments.

TCPluto said:
Well, considering what you say to everyone who disagrees with you, yes, it is out of bounds for you to try and say it's offensive.

It's about the most hypocritical post I've ever seen.

I'll try not to lose any sleep.

A personal attack is one thing a satirical generalization is another.

Name calling is not allowed on this board.

All this talk about reinstating the draft jogged my memory. Remember how Kerry used the “draft card” to scare up votes?

Kerry claims Bush might reinstate draft

By Charles Hurt
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
Published September 23, 2004

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. -- Sen. John Kerry yesterday warned parents and grandparents here that it's "possible" that President Bush will reinstate the draft to handle the war in Iraq if re-elected, while promising that he would not take that step.

"If George Bush were to be re-elected -- given the way that he has gone about this war, and given the avoidance of responsibility in North Korea, Iran and other places -- it is possible," he said. "I can't tell you.

"I will tell you this: I will not reinstate the draft," the Massachusetts Democrat said in response to a question from a member of the audience of a town-hall meeting here.

The answer, coming after his charge on Friday that Mr. Bush is planning a surprise post-election call-up of National Guard and reserve troops, is the second time in less than a week that Mr. Kerry has said the president's pursuit of the war in Iraq could have a far-reaching impact at home.

The promise drew a standing ovation from the crowd here and a stern rebuke from Bush campaign spokesman Steve Schmidt, who compared the statement to Mr. Kerry's unwillingness earlier this week to rule out the possibility that the war in Iraq was an "illegal war."

"The one thing John Kerry has demonstrated this week is his willingness to say whatever he believes will benefit him politically, regardless of its effect on our troops, our allies and our mission," Mr. Schmidt said.

Sen. John Cornyn, Texas Republican and member of the Armed Services Committee, called the draft possibility an "urban legend" and called the statements "desperate and harmful to our troops."

"While the president is working with allies and calling on the United Nations to help secure a democratic future in Iraq and the Middle East, Senator Kerry is busy spreading scare tactics and defeatism," Mr. Cornyn said. "Sadly, his only plan seems to be fear, urban legends and conspiracy theories."

** (check out the flip/flop ) ***

After saying he would not reinstate the draft, Mr. Kerry quickly modified his stance to leave open that possibility if "the United States of America faced the kind of global attack or conflagration where everybody in America understood through an open democratic process we needed to defend this nation."

The draft insinuation was one of several assertions made by Mr. Kerry recently, aimed at raising fears about a second term for Mr. Bush.

Mr. Kerry also told seniors here yesterday that Mr. Bush wants to give his political supporters $940 billion from Social Security. Earlier this week, he said America is less safe from terrorism after having launched the war in Iraq.

Uncle Remus said:
PeaceMaker, I'm so glad to see you.
I'm outta here, I can't take the pablum
pukin' patriots so I'm gonna go take
a shower to get it off me.
Good Luck crazyforgoofy, Judge,
and PeaceMaker.

Thought of you at dinner today Uncle. Hope to talk to you before Thanksgiving.

Saffron said:
Exactly because THEIR lives depend on it.

BTW:
http://www.footnote.tv/f911chap7-8.html

There are no studies tracking the number of politicians with children in the military. Surveys conducted for the Defense Department have find that young people who have better educational and career prospects are less likely to enter the military and that the children of educated, affluent parents were less likely to seriously consider military service, factors which could suggest that children of Congressmen would be less likely to enter the military themselves.

Uncle Remus said:
Exactly because THEIR lives depend on it.

BTW:
http://www.footnote.tv/f911chap7-8.html

There are no studies tracking the number of politicians with children in the military. Surveys conducted for the Defense Department have find that young people who have better educational and career prospects are less likely to enter the military and that the children of educated, affluent parents were less likely to seriously consider military service, factors which could suggest that children of Congressmen would be less likely to enter the military themselves.

Well that was a quick shower. ;) :rotfl:

this will never be approved by any congress..republican or democratic. THANK GOD.

I've always thought Rangel was a nut.

SwedishMeatball said:
Excuse me, but do you have a problem with me asking that question to clarify which side of the fence he is on?? :confused3 Would you deny that there are people who don't support our troops?? :confused3 Now that would just be ignorant thinking. ;) My water is fine; how is yours?? :teeth:

I personally know of no one who doesn't 'support the troops'. I think its a silly catch phrase myself.

My water has some very fine scotch in it right now, thanks, heaven on a chilly night. :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter