Democrat calls for the Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uncle Remus said:
How about one of you warchanting, flag waving
patriots explain to me exactly what is wrong
with a military draft? Would it require you to
have to really think about this war if you had
a real live stake in it such as a spouse or kid?
I'm a US Army veteran who volunteered during
Viet Nam and I'd like to know what makes you
so damn special you can't volunteer and the
mere word draft makes you whine?
There isn't anything wrong with drafts, in and of themselves, if and when they are needed.

There is something very wrong with implementing a draft the military itself doesn't want.

You don't start drafting inexperienced people to go reluctantly fight when you have enough experienced people who want to do it.

mickeyfan2 said:
Don't under estimate those in the VA hospital. I believe they would knock the Judge's block off.

Actually most of the guys at the VA hospital where my husband goes often (two tours in Vietnam just about killed him) agree with Judge Smails. Most of them were drafted. They weren't wild about the rich boys getting out of service then or now. :confused3

Judge Smails said:
I don't give 2 flips

start emptying bedpans

If you think I'm an idiot then I must be doing the right things...

oh and by the way this bigot has reported your post.

You reporting a post as offensive?? Wow.

Uncle Remus said:

Because they would actually have to put their money where their mouth is .

Tell me something As a vet.

Do you support my position or do you want to knock my block off?

Cool-Beans said:
There isn't anything wrong with drafts, in and of themselves, if and when they are needed.

There is something very wrong with implementing a draft the military itself doesn't want.

You don't start drafting inexperienced people to go reluctantly fight when you have enough experienced people who want to do it.

Then why are the sending troops back for 3 rotations?

You can't honestly think that there are enough troops. The generals have been howling for more troops.

Uncle Remus said:
I am not against a draft. I do not have any sons but I have many nephews who would be 18 soon or are younger than 22. So I could see many go to the military. I could not serve, I have asthma. Not good for marching and without my meds I am useless. DH is younger than you and did serve in the US Army.

mickeyfan2 said:
This has been the case for a long time. When you leave the military you can be recalled (IIRC for up to two years) and you have not say. You are trained in a skill and if they need that skill you come back.

I'm no dummy, believe me. I know about the IIRC but my point here is that its being used A LOT, it's called the backdoor draft. Once you join you can't actually leave and if your MOS is highly needed :confused3 they just might not let you leave - at all.

crazyforgoofy said:
Actually most of the guys at the VA hospital where my husband goes often (two tours in Vietnam just about killed him) agree with Judge Smails. Most of them were drafted. They weren't wild about the rich boys getting out of service then or now. :confused3
That's because WE ARE THE REAL VETERANS!!!
And not some puke spittin' ................

Judge Smails said:
Then why are the sending troops back for 3 rotations?

You can't honestly think that there are enough troops. The generals have been howling for more troops.
Why are they howling? Did someone call them a name?

Editing because it isn't allowed.

LuvDuke said:
Wow, nothing annoys a Republican more than asking them to step up to the plate and do more than just wave a flag and put a magnetic yellow ribbon on their car. I'd say they should put their money where their mouth is, but they don't want pay for this war either. :lmao:

“annoys a Republican more” …hmmm..seems like both sides don’t want to touch it.

“Rangel said he will propose a measure early next year. While he said he is serious about the proposal, there is little evident support among the public or lawmakers for it.

In 2003, Rangel proposed a measure covering people age 18 to 26. It was defeated 402-2 the following year.”

Judge Smails said:
The bedpans await. They don't care about your gender or how old you are. What's your excuse?

Crap? I'm sure the troops would be appreciative of the help. Why would they support anyone who's for the war is able to help and doesn't do their fair share?

I'm the one that's actually on their side.

Are you really?? What about the ones who support the war, and I'm guessing there are many?? I'm just asking because you seem to have so much contempt for those who support the war, so I would assume it would include those serving who also support it. Would you have sympathy for a soldier and/or his family who lost his life that supported the war, or would you just feel that he got what he deserved?? :confused3

SwedishMeatball said:
Are you really?? What about the ones who support the war, and I'm guessing there are many?? I'm just asking because you seem to have so much contempt for those who support the war, so I would assume it would include those serving who also support it. Would you have sympathy for a soldier and/or his family who lost his life that supported the war, or would you just feel that he got what he deserved?? :confused3

Give me a break! I can't believe you even typed that!

Judge Smails said:
OK so you can't answer the question.

Thanks.
I'll answer. The military has said, repeatedly, that they don't need a draft.

And people who go off and tattle because someone called them a name are in no position to make policy on strategy.

crazyforgoofy said:
DH is for a draft but against the exemptions. He wants all to serve. This is not the Judges point at all. BTW as a female I also want women drafted.

Cool-Beans said:
I'll answer. The military has said, repeatedly, that they don't need a draft.

And people who go off and tattle because someone called them a name are in no position to make policy on strategy.
And you don't know what you're talkin' about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter