"Deluxer" at the FW Cabins???

PamNC

DIS Veteran
We love staying at the deluxe resorts, with a hefty discount of course. Right now our fave is the Poly, followed closely by YC/BC. On each trip we spend some time at Fort Wilderness - love it! Love the trails, the carriage rides, the campfire singalong, the canoes, etc etc. So, I've been enamored with the idea of staying at one of the cabins. However, I'm afraid to try because I also love the convenience and elegance of the deluxe resorts.

I wouldn't do this for a long trip - just a shorter one. We have AP's so I'm hoping to take full advantage of it this year by going 3 times (already been once). 2 bigger trips and perhaps a long weekend trip.

How do you think a "deluxer" would do at FW cabins? I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts and experiences at the cabins...especially from those who stay at deluxe...

Pam

I've stayed in the cabins and the PR, so some comparisons that you should know about that are both good and bad!

1) transportation inside FW is not the best. You have to take a bus to get to the busses or boats. Rather slow, so if you have a car, I would reccommend driving everywhere but MK. The boat is nice for that.

2) Room size - cabins are very large and the full kitchen is awesome. That alone saved us quite a bit of money on bottled water (could freeze it the night before) and breakfast. Plus, the separate bedroom allowed for separate bedtimes without one group being put off or disturbed.

3) Pools - not themed at FW, no slide. The deluxes have this cornered, hands down!

4) Privacy/noise - we never ever saw our neighbors at FW and could not hear any noise outside our cabin. Hallways tend to echo noises.

Overall, I think you will have a nice relaxing vacation, being able to relax in an atmosphere that is definitely not hotel-like. I think that you could have a great time in a cabin and create it as almost a mini-vacation from the Disney vacation!

ktglads - it's good to know the pros and cons.

I'm thinking I would do FW cabins for a short trip - not the "major" trip of the year. That will cut down on my disappointment with the pool - pools are important to us but for a short trip we wouldn't have much pool time anyway. And, there is so much to do at FW I don't think I'll miss the pool action.

Transporation doesn't bother me because we will have our car.

I like the idea of the quietness - and the vacation from the Disney vacation. You put that rather nicely.

PamNC

I have the opposite worry! I love the cabins and think I will try the Poly next year but....... The cabins are so nice that I hope I like the delux hotel as much! Riding the boat to the MK is awesome, we drive everywhere else but it is nice to go to the water parks with our lunches made and extra pop and not have to stand in line. It's nice having a leisurly cup of coffee on the deck in your bathrobe, it's not formal there! The golf carts are a blast and so relaxing to just tour the park. We would never be without the carts again even though it costs a fair amount. I could go on and on about it.

I will be staying at the FW cabins in 25 days. I had never really had the urge to stay there before but it suites us perfectly for this trip. It will be my sister, her daughter-8 and my dd-2 and ds-3. I am looking for a more relaxed setting than the "resorts". We plan to have dinner in the cabin a couple of nights and I can't wait to take the kids to the campfire sing-a-long. There is so much to do with out leaving the campgrounds. I tend to be such a theme park commando that I hope the setting will calm me down. Since you have AP's and are planning to come several times this year, I would definately try it out. I will be sure to give my reviews when I return. It is so cool to see a fellow NC'er with AP's. I really need to talk DH into that.

Terri
PS Is there any kind of support group in town for Disney people like us???lol

We've never gone the "deluxe" route, but the cabins are WONDERFUL! I'd stay in one again in a heartbeat! The only reason we are trying POR this time around is because my mom isn't coming this time so we really didn't need the extra space of a cabin.

I'd recommend giving them a shot...and if you decide against them for this trip, you can always go to FW ask for a cabin tour and plan for another trip!

I want to look in the staying at the cabins - it seems like such a change from the resorts - but they look SO small in the pictures! I know someone who has stayed in them and loved it - but I'm afraid I'll dislike it. Also, do you get to park right at the cabin?

:earsgirl:

Just had to jump in and say that I'm another neighbor here in Winston-Salem with an AP! Getting ready to take my 3rd trip since September. I thought an AP would save me money - NOT!! It's just a good excuse to get back to WDW!!::MinnieMo

I'm one of the few and I didn't like the cabins because of the pool, walk to get buses, and the lack of hotel feel.....I do realize I'm an out numbered by those that love it...but I did miss the hotel feel...

Terribm and Alsmom - I can't believe we're all from Winston-Salem. Actually, we lived in Winston when I joined the DIS. We moved out to the country - we now live in Davie County, just one county away - about 25 minutes to Winston from our house.

We need a support group don't we? Terribm - It was easy for me to convince DH to get AP's - my problem is convincing him to take little short trips. He says "When I go to disneyworld I want to go for the long haul." I'm trying to show him that #1 it's only a 9 hour drive and #2 that's what AP's are for. He wants to go 7 days or nothing. We went for 7 in Feb. We're hoping to go back for 6 in July (along with a St. Augustine stay). And I want a quickie, spur of the moment Fort Wilderness Cabin Trip.

Well - we women always get what we want. Alsmom - you're right - it doesn't save you $$ - it just makes you go more.

You "gals" want to get together some time for a DIS meet? We ought to start a NC support group.

We're too close to the World (driving distance...we can leave in the a.m. and be there by check-in) for comfort.

PamNC

Just wanted to say a quick "hello" from just across the border...I live in Ridgeway, VA (south of Martinsville), and my DH and I are proud PAP holders (two years running)! :bounce: :bounce: Nice to know that there are "others" out there! ;)

:p IVY :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter