Deluxe kind of girl considering Pop Century. Thoughts?

GEM

Mommy to Paul - 1lb 7oz wonder
Well, I admit it. I have, over the years, become something of a resort snob. The moderates are ok, but I LOVE the deluxe resorts. We usually take long (10 night or so) trips and we spend lots of down time relaxing at our resort and enjoying the pools and recreation, sampling the restaurants, and just soaking up the atmosphere, etc.

So, now (because our APs expire in mid-May and they are still burning holes in our pockets) we are considering a quick and cheap trip in early May to celebrate our little guy's second birthday. We just got back from an early December luxury trip where we really went all out (deluxe resorts, lots of great meals, spa treatments, tons of shopping, backstage tours, etc), so this trip will have to be much cheaper.

It's stayed at All Star Music and Movies years ago for a few nights each, but it's been a long time. On this trip, we will only have three full days at the world and we will spend most of our time doing stuff our little one will enjoy - his favorite rides, shows, etc. He LOVES the water and I know he will like the pool and the play fountain area at Pop.

So, have any other deluxe lovers tried Pop and been pleasantly surprised? I thought that, since this trip is short and all about the little fellow, and we won't be spending much time at resort (except for a few naps) that a value would be ok. I decided to go with Pop because I've heard the bus situation is better.

So, any thoughts? Do you think I'll regret it?

It is like a motel 6, so you may struggle with that, BUT it would be awsome for your DS. I might even suggest AS Movies because of the larger than life Buzz and Woody and the 101 Dalmations. Get prepared, it has a motel feel to it. Had no trouble with busses at AS Movies.

okay I like Pop Century - sure it is not a deluxe - but you know that - but the service was pretty great and I love the lake this place has.

go feed the ducks....what comes is are turtles.... so be patience..

I thought Pop was cute. We're DVC and we stayed at Pop last winter with a great $50 some dollar rate to squeeze another trip in. The main pool is darling (the concrete is painted in pastels). If you're going to be in the parks a lot, you'll probably do all right. One warning, the beds are very small (we have a full size at home) and Pop's mattresses seemed smaller to me. My husband slept on one bed and me on the other.

I have never stayed onsite, so in May I plan to stay at Pop Century.

Let me begin by saying that I completely understand and relate to your being a "deluxe" type, as I am one as well. It is not something against any of the other resorts, just a preference we have.

I haven't stayed at Pop Century, but I have been to All Star Sports about 5 years ago with my daughter and her HS cheerleading squad. It was cute there, but it lacked things that we feel we need when we go on a regular vacation, such as interior halls, room service, valet. Would I go to Pop for a quick trip? Certainly. I think trying new resorts is fun. You will only be there a few days, and your right about your son loving the atmosphere. I say go ~ it is Disney afterall, and everything Disney is wonderful in its' own way!

:flower1:

I wrote a thread about a concierge lizard doing POP, last October. You could do a search on it if you would like. With a son your age... GO for it! He'll love the icons! To go more often I have had to scale back the luxuries, but it has been worth it to us! I still have a few concierge level trips in the planning stages, but my Pop trip has great memories, and I hope to make even more in a week at our second ever moderate, first CBR, stay!

Edited to add... found the link!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=661155

Not always a delux, certainly not concierge, type, but I am a hot tub snob, and liked Pop well enough in August (after a stay at RPR) to book our first night there for DH's extravagant birthday trip last September. I think this resort has a lot to offer and when you're turning two those Pop jets might be just the thing.

Thanks! The more I think about it, the more excited I am about it. Like I said, the real reason we love the deluxe resorts is because we tend to take long trips and spend tons of time enjoying the resort. This trip will be really short and more about the parks, so I think Pop will fit the bill just fine.

And that pop jet play fountain is another big reason that I picked Pop over the All Stars. Paul LOVED the play fountains on our last trip. He spent an hour playing in the one at Downtown Disney. It was a highlight of the trip for him. So, I think he will really enjoy that area. And I do think he will get a kick out the big, bright icons and things.

Thanks everybody!

We stay at POP one night since we drove in a day early for our DVC ressie. You will not have all the amenities of a Deluxe...our room did not have a hairdryer or a lot of "sink space". But, for the price, it is NOT a Motel 6. It is still very much a Disney Resort. It was clean, the beds were comfortable (small, but comfortable), the food court was very nice, as was the shop, dining area, check-in etc.

The room was decorated nicely, but it wasn't huge. I would not hesitate to stay there again, at least for a short trip. I don't think I'd want to spend a week or more at POP...DVC has "spoiled" us.

I'm a resort snob too, but I've stayed at POP twice. First time it was hard arriving to what I considered an ugly building, but once we got to the room I was relieved - it was understated and fine for our 4 nght trip! Next trip I stayed at GF and then in December back to POP for a last minute trip (and extra for the yr) with an email code of $55 a ngt inc tx - how could I go wrong!

I do prefer a lake view, 4th fl, Tramp building rather than being in the midst of the action. The lake takes away from the value resort feeling and on the 4th fl with the lake I don't see the icons of other buildings.

I would say to try to psych yourself for a new experience and give yourself a day or so to get used to the limited amenities before making up your mind about the resort - that is, of course, unless you like it right away!

When people call it a Motel 6 I wonder if they've ever stayed there - it is not a Motel 6 in any way shape or form! It is a Disney resort with it's own theme and personality. CM's are mostly fun and very nice.

Last Feb I travelled without my ankle brace. I was able to order one at a local drug store right at the front desk and it was delivered to the Resort - cannot recall if I picked it up at the front desk or if it was left in the room. The front desk had the name of the drug store and dialed the number for me. It was even a Sunday! Don't think you'd find such service at your local Motel 6!

I might add that I would never stay at the Allstars, even if it meant changing my travel dates! I could not spend 5 mins at that resort or in one of those horrible rooms!

Have you checked out the various POP links with photos? If not, here are a couple of esp good ones (second one might take a minute to load):

http://www.fricknfrack.net/pop/pop1.html
http://haysllc.com/Disneyworld/Resorts/PopCentury/index_files/frame.htm

Hope you go for it and enjoy your adventure!!

It's one of my biggest pet peeves when people refer to Pop as similar to a Motel 6. Just because it has exterior entryways does NOT make it a Motel 6. Yes, Value resorts do not have the amenities that a Deluxe has, but I assure you, Pop Century has many many more amenities than a Motel 6. Pop has Luggage Assistance, three themed main pools, one with sprayers, one kiddie pool with jets, a pop jet pool area, twister games, a food court with fun selections, a lounge, a pool bar, a lake, an arcade, never mind all the themed decorations throughout the resort. Not to mention, the cast members are always super friendly, and love to have fun. Have you ever seen an employee at Motel 6 do the hustle? Or towel animals?

You cannot compare the Pop to a Motel 6 - that's ridiculous. The rooms are great - nice and clean, the pools are wonderful, the staff is excellent and it's a great price! Go for it.

I really liked the furniture and room decor better than the All Stars. The main pool is ADORABLE. Fun music playing, pool bar and indoor lounge, great bus service. Relax, you will be fine! I would NEVER stay at a Motel 6.

Microcell said:
It is like a motel 6, so you may struggle with that, BUT it would be awsome for your DS. I might even suggest AS Movies because of the larger than life Buzz and Woody and the 101 Dalmations. Get prepared, it has a motel feel to it. Had no trouble with busses at AS Movies.

I've been to a motel 6, they dont take your bags for you when you pull up.
:D

I'm considering the same thing, just so we can book the package with dining. I can't afford a deluxe at rack rate, but I could swing rack rates at Pop or maybe POR if it's value season.

I too am a DVC Member, I have stayed @ Pop Century three times this year. Just made a reservation yesterday for a quick trip next March. The children love it, I love it and during peak season it's the way to save some big $$$.

1st visit pre-opening summer 1971:Off-site1971-1981:Poly,1982-1990,1995,1997,1998:CBR,1988:CR,1972,1989:
WL,1994,1995,April&May1996,1997,1998,1999,2001,Sept&Nov2003,May2004-Concierge,Sept2004,Dec2004:
Ft.W.Cabins,1997:OKW,1999: BWV, 1998,2003,2004:AKL,July&OCT2001:PO,2001:
ASSport,1998,2001,2002,2003:
ASMovie,2002:ASMusic,2004:BCV,2003,2004:VWL,2000,2001,May&Sept2002,March2003:
Pop Century, March,May,July 2004,

My 8 yo and I started at the POP last August for 3 nights, then joined Dad and little brother at the YC for the next 5 nights. Dad is a true resort snob. My 8 yo and I had a blast @ POP! The rooms were great, quiet and comfortable. The food court is great. The transfer also went very smoothly. Change your mind set and you won't be disappointed! Maggie

We too are Deluxe addicted! But I agree :earboy2:

HTML:
When people call it a Motel 6 I wonder if they've ever stayed there - it is not a Motel 6 in any way shape or form! It is a Disney resort with it's own theme and personality. CM's are mostly fun and very nice

The outside hallways are the only drawback. Everything there is just as beautiful and so extremely kid oriented! My DD walked around in awe at all the cute (huge) statues and the pools and fountains are great! And what Motel 6 ties ur curtains and makes towel animals each night? Not too mention that it is so new that everything is in incredible shape (no worn out blankets, beds, etc.) Service, child decor, and atmosphere is great for a value resort. So u give up a few perks....it is still a Disney best...IMHO! :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter