Delurking with about 1,000,000 questions!!

3guysandagirl

Earning My Ears
I have been lurking around here for quite some time now and have collected so much valuable information, thank you! :jumping4:

We are in the "planning stages" of a trip to WDW, the very beginning of December. There will be 14 of us traveling from different places to meet for my Mom's 60th birthday. We have our dates set and now are trying to work out the rest. We are trying to decide on a resort. We have all been to Disney before and some of us have stayed on property and some of us haven't. I think we have it narrowed down to either Pop Century or Port Orleans French Quarter or Riverside. Any suggestions?? I'm not sure we should even be considering PC or not? We will be ranging in age from 63 to 5. I just want everyone to be happy. I really appreciate any and all advice you all can provide!! And don't worry, the other 999,999 questions are coming right up!!! :earboy2:

Kris

First off, welcome, second you will NEVER make everyone happy. I would suggest that you make a decision as to where to stay and go with that. If someone complains, let them take over the planning. I guess everyone's financial situation would determine where you would stay. A value resort would be the lightest on everyone's pocketbook and those wanting to stay elsewhere can make alturnative reservations before/after the birthday.

We went as a group of 10 people last August.

What we did is all get together and watch the Disney planning DVD. We all then wrote down our top 3 resorts (with a price cap to avoid people putting the Poly or GF).

It was amazing buy we all came to the agreement that POP is where we would stay and if a room code came out that was too good to pass up, we would upgrade to the Wilderness Lodge. Sure enough, an AP code came out and we all stayed at WL! We had a blast.

Have fun. For what it is worth, you can't go wrong with POP or PO!

Duds

I can't help much...but, I'll throw in my 2 cents.

We stayed at Pop Century for a week in May 2004. We had a group of 8 people (7 adults and 1 toddler) ranging from 57 to 5 in 3 rooms. Our stay was excellent.

When we first arrived, they put us in the 90's section...which was the furthest from the food court. My mom had broken her foot a few weeks before our arrival, so this was a bit of a problem.

I called the front desk and they were able to move us to a ground floor room in the 50's section which was great.

We had no problems with noise or toilet flushing or any thing of that nature.

We would have liked to have stayed in the moderate resort...but, we choose 3 rooms at the value rather than paying almost the same for 2 rooms at the moderate. This gave each group more privacy.

It really depends on how much you want to spend on rooms and how much time you will be spending in the rooms. We spent 0 time in our rooms. We'd leave in the morning....come back in the afternoon for a nap....then, return late at night, shower, and crash.

If you plan on doing more activites at the hotel....then, the moderate probably has more to offer. It may be a little more quiet as well....but, that is never guaranteed no matter where you stay.

I will say this....if your family is anything like my family...someone will be disappointed. If you stay at the moderate, someone will complain that they could have saved money and stayed at the value resort. If you stay at the value, someone will complain that it's too "no frills" and you should have stayed at the moderate. In other words, everyone has different tastes....and not everyone will be completely happy no matter what....lol

Do your best to satisfy as many family members as possible then enjoy your stay....

Good Luck,
speedyf

Thanks for your quick advice!! I really want to stay at a moderate and I know everyone would be "more comfortable" at one. However, no one is against staying at PC. So, I was kinda thinking about booking PC and hoping for a great discount code and upgrading to FQ. Do you think we have a good chance of a code the first week of December??

This is just my 2 cents. I'm not against any value resort but with the variety of ages in your group I would have to recommend PO Riverside. There you would have the food court AND a sit down restaurant, pool with slide (and you can also use the pool at FQ if you want to since they are sister resorts). You'd have the ferry to Downtown Disney. The grounds are lovely and it is a very relaxing resort. If it were just 2 parents and 2 kids and you wanted to be at the parks a lot I would say do Pop. But usually with a group you have some that want to do different things and need a break from the parks and I think POR is best suited for that. Just my opinion though. Have fun planning!!!

I've also heard that the Pop warner group is there is early december and they stay at the Value resorts. I've never experienced anything with Pop Warner but you might want to check out the thread about them...it might make a difference for you. Good Luck with planning and I'm going in early December too!

I would also go with Riverside. It is a wonderful and peaceful resort. I think that your parents would enjoy it alot more and the pool is better than at PC. The boat is a good plus. They have a nice lounge, food court, outside dinning, sit down restraunt, fishing and a little bar by the main pool. I think it's worth the extra money. What ever you choose have a great time planning.......it's half the fun!!1 :cool1:

I would highly recommend POR, too. If no one has more than 4 people in their room, perhaps they could book all of you in the same mansion.

Hi, just a heads up from the Pop Warner website:
They will be at WDW from
Sunday, December 4th thru Saturday, December 10th.

What is Pop Warner? I have seen several references.... could someone either post or PM me and help me out? They fall on the days I am planning for my trip....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!