Delta put me on standby?

SuzyQue

Serious Mickey Nut
Booked our flight back in December, Delta Economy. We were at the parks last week when our 24 hour window opened to check in so I checked in late that night when we got back to the hotel around 10:00 or 11:00. It said we had been placed on the standby list and couldn't get our seat assignment until we arrived at the gate. I know the flight was overbooked but that is the norm anymore for DTW-MCO and we have never been placed on the standby list. Anyone else have this happen or know why??:confused3

I had the same thing happen to me in 2014 with Delta New Orleans To LAX. I booked about 5 months before flying, when I checked in it just said seat assignment at gate!

It was hugely stressful, as I needed to fly that day as I had a very important event to go to the next day. At the gate the agent announced the flight was over booked and asked for 20 people to volunteer to fly the next day, they would be given compensation vouchers for changing flights. Some people did but most like me HAD to get to LAX that day. After the volunteers, the flight was still over booked , so we had to wait until check in closed, and for anyone who was transferring to turn up. The gate agent assigned seats as at random, ie she just pointed to you and said I choose you for this free seat! It was horrendous , people were not happy. Eventually I was chosen and I was the last, I was really upset at that stage as it looked like I wouldn't fly that day and would have to fly the next day and I was literally begging the gate agent for the next free seat. I was the only European, on my own and the gate agent made a point of ignoring me and reaching over my head to choose other passengers. Really disgraceful behaviour and as a result I will NOT fly with Delta again

Booked our flight back in December, Delta Economy. We were at the parks last week when our 24 hour window opened to check in so I checked in late that night when we got back to the hotel around 10:00 or 11:00. It said we had been placed on the standby list and couldn't get our seat assignment until we arrived at the gate. I know the flight was overbooked but that is the norm anymore for DTW-MCO and we have never been placed on the standby list. Anyone else have this happen or know why??:confused3
Did it actually say "standby?" You can have a confirmed ticket without having a seat assignment. They hold back anywhere from5 to 20 seats on every plane for assignment at the airport. And, if they actually are overbooked, they have to make lots of offers before they can leave without you. If you hold a confirmed ticket and are involuntarily denied boarding, they have to pay you cash money and put you on the next available flight in whatever seat is available, even if it's first class.

Did it actually say "standby?" You can have a confirmed ticket without having a seat assignment. They hold back anywhere from5 to 20 seats on every plane for assignment at the airport. And, if they actually are overbooked, they have to make lots of offers before they can leave without you. If you hold a confirmed ticket and are involuntarily denied boarding, they have to pay you cash money and put you on the next available flight in whatever seat is available, even if it's first class.

Yes, it actually said "standby" and gave a list of the other passengers on standby, we were twelfth on the list. I knew that with Economy you weren't allowed to choose you seats until you checked in online and that you were not allowed to make changes to your flight, but it said nothing about being standby at any point. We got there so early the flight before us hadn't even left. When our flight came up on the screen I approached the desk (with several following) and asked for seat assignment, she said to check back in 20 minutes and she would be able to start the standby seat assignments (for whatever reason). When she returned I again went to the desk and the machine was then spitting out multiple new boarding passes and she gave me ours.

Yes, it actually said "standby" and gave a list of the other passengers on standby, we were twelfth on the list. I knew that with Economy you weren't allowed to choose you seats until you checked in online and that you were not allowed to make changes to your flight, but it said nothing about being standby at any point. We got there so early the flight before us hadn't even left. When our flight came up on the screen I approached the desk (with several following) and asked for seat assignment, she said to check back in 20 minutes and she would be able to start the standby seat assignments (for whatever reason). When she returned I again went to the desk and the machine was then spitting out multiple new boarding passes and she gave me ours.
Glad you got your seats.

This is an interesting case study for the Southwest haters who refuse to fly without a "reserved" seat assignment. I seem to be reading more and more instances of people who choose not to pay extra for a "preferred" seat up front getting into these kinds of situations or of not being able to get assignments together.

Glad you got your seats.

This is an interesting case study for the Southwest haters who refuse to fly without a "reserved" seat assignment. I seem to be reading more and more instances of people who choose not to pay extra for a "preferred" seat up front getting into these kinds of situations or of not being able to get assignments together.
It appears the op purchased basic economy fares not main cabin. They are bare bones fares and do not include seat selection (something that is upfront when you purchase the tickets). So its not about paying for preferred seats but making a choice to select a fare that does not permit seat selection

It appears the op purchased basic economy fares not main cabin. They are bare bones fares and do not include seat selection (something that is upfront when you purchase the tickets). So its not about paying for preferred seats but making a choice to select a fare that does not permit seat selection

That is correct, it wasn't a matter of us not being able to choose our seats, we just had to wait until online check in (24 hours before) to choose them. That and the "no changes to flight time" were the only stipulations for the Delta economy fare.

I understand how the fares work. I also have seen numerous complaints from posters with main cabin seating who have gone to reserve seats only to find that there were either no "free" seats available or that there only were individual middle seats scattered around the plane available to reserve without an additional charge.

Many passengers who book on the mainline carriers believe that once they buy their ticket they have a specific seat reserved for them like it was for the most part back in the day. They don't understand going in how much things have changed even for tickets that, theoretically at least, allow you to reserve a specific seat for "free" in advance. In addition, the basic economy fares that don't allow for any seat reservations prior to 24 hours in advance are relatively new and even those who have encountered the new world order may not have read the fine print on these new fares.

The point I am trying to make is that the certainty around "reserved" seats on airlines that offer them has been declining in recent years and I believe there are many who do not fully understand that.

The point I am trying to make is that the certainty around "reserved" seats on airlines that offer them has been declining in recent years and I believe there are many who do not fully understand that.

This, unfortunately, may be true. We normally do our search on Kayak and, up until this year, they always listed "Main Cabin" fairs in the results (you were able to see the "Basic Economy" fair once you were transferred to the Delta site. So once I was happy with the date and time of the flight on Kayak, I went to book and realized it was Basic Economy. I read the fine print and went ahead and booked it anyway. But like I mentioned above, if it had mentioned anywhere that there was a chance we would have been bumped to "Standby", I wouldn't have booked it.

This, unfortunately, may be true. We normally do our search on Kayak and, up until this year, they always listed "Main Cabin" fairs in the results (you were able to see the "Basic Economy" fair once you were transferred to the Delta site. So once I was happy with the date and time of the flight on Kayak, I went to book and realized it was Basic Economy. I read the fine print and went ahead and booked it anyway. But like I mentioned above, if it had mentioned anywhere that there was a chance we would have been bumped to "Standby", I wouldn't have booked it.
I'm only guessing, but the bump to "Standby" may have been a technicality only and you were going to get a seat regardless. If the gate agent is going to handle your seat assignments for some reason, it's probably easier from a systems standpoint to just move you to standby, for which they have an established clearing process, than it is for them to create some whole new process for transferring tickets with the new fares to the gate agent. Who knows, however, and it certainly would concern any reasonable passenger is it did you.

I'm only guessing, but the bump to "Standby" may have been a technicality only and you were going to get a seat regardless. If the gate agent is going to handle your seat assignments for some reason, it's probably easier from a systems standpoint to just move you to standby, for which they have an established clearing process, than it is for them to create some whole new process for transferring tickets with the new fares to the gate agent. Who knows, however, and it certainly would concern any reasonable passenger is it did you.

Thanks, that does make sense. Too bad I didn't know that before rushing to the airport. We then had to sit on the runway a half hour waiting our turn to take off due to weather in northern Florida and Delta did mention a short apology in the generic "Rate your flight" email they sent. I may take take the rating response a bit further and inquire about the standby issue.

they have a specific seat reserved for them like it was for the most part back in the day.

Not sure the time frame being referenced, but ages ago I started flying SW after too many times having my seat changed. I started flying in '89, so.....

I quite like delta but they changed our seats all around last Saturday. And we were in first. Seriously annoying.

"Real" standby means that if there are no seats then you are not entitled to compensation.

If you booked a flight and it says confirmed, even if it is basic economy, then the airline may not leave you behind without compensation.

Some time ago Delta stopped doing "real" standby and either confirmed you on that earlier flight you want to switch to (for a fee) or told you that the flight was not available period. So they could use the word "standby" for other purposes such as "seat assignment at gate." Not sure whether things have changed again since.

... the gate agent made a point of ignoring me and reaching over my head to choose other passengers ...

Delta is one of the airlines that may bump folks without seat assignments but who checked in earlier than some folks who did have seat assignments. Being a frequent Delta flyer in the past also enters into the equation. This is after asking for volunteers, and compensation is given. As far as I know, for Southwest, the last to check in is the first to get bumped.

Last edited:
We were flying back home from LAX to Cancun last week and our flight was overbooked too. They bumped me to 1st class but in the end my husband and I gave up our seats since we are retired and didn't have to get back. The agent was so appreciative that she issued us each a $700 voucher, sent us to the Sheraton and upgraded both of us on the next flight. We definitely got lucky.

Ok TXDisGurl, you can just go stand in the corner because you are NOT helping here lol! :P What a great deal for you, were you originally booked for Economy or Main cabin. If I was sure I was guaranteed a seat, I would have sat back and waited for an upgrade or compensation!:cool1:

if it had mentioned anywhere that there was a chance we would have been bumped to "Standby"
Every flight on every airline has a chance of being overbooked, regardless of assigned seats or not. I would assume those with assigned seats have a better chance of making the flight than those who wait and accept what's left. As mentioned, a handful of seats are held back for assignment at the gate. So what happened to the OP was all those who selected their seats at booking were fine. Those who checked in close to 24 hours before hand were fine. At some point, they're going to run out of seats. By waiting (presumably hours) to check in, you hindered the ability to get a seat assignment.

One could argue airlines shouldn't overbook, but it's nothing new, and it's nothing limited to a single airline. OP, I think you could have saved yourself a lot of stress by either selecting your seat at the time of booking (granted, paying more) or by checking in at T-24 (which can be done from a park, either at GS, or through a smart phone).

We were flying back home from LAX to Cancun last week and our flight was overbooked too. They bumped me to 1st class but in the end my husband and I gave up our seats since we are retired and didn't have to get back. The agent was so appreciative that she issued us each a $700 voucher, sent us to the Sheraton and upgraded both of us on the next flight. We definitely got lucky.

THAT is awesome customer service!

We fly Delta often and always choose to pay the extra to book our seats at time of purchase to avoid ending up in standby. I watch fares way ahead and book at the lowest fare possible. Thanks to the OP and everyone else for sharing experiences. As we travel with a young child, I think paying the additional to book seats is worth it.

We fly Delta often and always choose to pay the extra to book our seats at time of purchase to avoid ending up in standby. I watch fares way ahead and book at the lowest fare possible. Thanks to the OP and everyone else for sharing experiences. As we travel with a young child, I think paying the additional to book seats is worth it.

With the new Delta Basic Economy fare, there is no option to assign seats in advance, purchase or not. It's a risk you take if you buy that lower fare. You also cannot make any changes. When an airline overbooks, the first people to go on standby are those without seat assignments.

You have to book a Main Cabin ticket to assign seats in advance.

Not sure the time frame being referenced, but ages ago I started flying SW after too many times having my seat changed. I started flying in '89, so.....

I quite like delta but they changed our seats all around last Saturday. And we were in first. Seriously annoying.
Were you bumped out of first, or were your seats changed? Was there an equipment change?
What did Delta say when you called? (If you gave them a call.)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter