• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Delta messing with my flights-sail April 10,2011

momof2minnies

DIS Veteran
I meant 2012

Got a message from Delta they eliminated our flights and what would have taken 2.5 hrs will now take 6.

Well thats good we planned to come a day early-I booked those flights as soon as they opened too.

Well Delta just lost 8 customers that fly at least 2x/yr.I wonder if anyone on here for these dates had the same thing happen?

Jet Blue here we come!!!!!!!

Linda

Sounds like you went from a nonstop to a connecting!

I would look at the other airlines pricing & switch!

Since Delta changed your original flight you can cancel without penalty!:thumbsup2

Yes that is what happened.I hope you are right about no penalty-my DH is looking into that today. No more Delta for us-they lost 8 customers that fly at least 2x/yr and my DH for business.

Thanks Linda

You can also take a look at the schedule and change to another flight if that would be of any help. I totally get what you are saying about Delta but I don't like to fly any airline that doens't interline (or whatever it is called when they will put you on another airline if something happens and your flight is cancelled) and I don't have many choices here. I will say, I sure do miss Northwest.

This is not uncommon, especially when booking a flight this far out. I've had this happen on several airlines and a phone call is all it takes to get a flight that is convenient for you.
Just call the airline and ask them to switch your flight and they should do it at no charge since they made the change.

You will be able to cancel with a full refund, or rebook on another Delta flight at no cost. Before you call, check their schedule to see if there is another non-stop flight that will work for you. If not, and some other carrier has flights you'd rather take, go ahead and cancel them.

This has been going on for a while---and not just with Delta. Airlines are cutting less profitable routes and focusing on the more profitable ones instead. Routes to/from leisure destinations have been some of the first to go, because leisure travelers are very price sensitive. Southwest dropped there non-stop DTW-MCO flights well over a year ago, and never brought them back. It's been especially hard on smaller airports.

Definitely call quick. When it gets closer to the date it gets harder.
My sis' family received a call the day before they had to leave for their flight home and there was no other non stop flight available. They changed it because of the "weather" but checking the weather around the country that day there was no issues anywhere.
Delta just said that to avoid having to pay for the inconvenience.
We don't like using them either but they're the only direct flight from where we are... so we just have to grin and bear it.

I have been going on Jet Blue for the last 5 years and LOVE IT!!!! I just fly from Miami to NYC or NYC to Miami lol Delta is always way more then Jet Blue. Hope you get it all worked out:)

You will be able to cancel with a full refund, or rebook on another Delta flight at no cost. Before you call, check their schedule to see if there is another non-stop flight that will work for you. If not, and some other carrier has flights you'd rather take, go ahead and cancel them.

This is your best advice. Make sure when you find the schedule you like to have that up when you call customer service. Then you have times, flight numbers, and everything else you'll need. This happens on many airlines. We are United in October and it actually worked to our benefit to get a better flight time that would have cost us 4 times what we paid for the flight. Good luck!!!

Delta has done away with all direct flights to Orlando-they must be insane! Always packed-only airport in this area is Hartford.Hope they are hurting themselves and lose customers to other airlines!

Looking into Jet Blue.Still non stop from Hartford.

Thanks everyone!

Linda

Being in Minnesota, we have really no affordable choice but Delta. Have never had issues with them. In fact, I have flown 60 flights with them this year with no cancellations or changes. And we get a direct to Orlando! Blessed living near a hub airport helps I guess.

Delta has done away with all direct flights to Orlando-they must be insane! Always packed-only airport in this area is Hartford.Hope they are hurting themselves and lose customers to other airlines!

Full airplanes are not necessarily profitable---especially when you have to compete with a low cost carrier on a route dominated by leisure travel. This is what I was alluding to above---many airlines are abandoning less profitable routes and focusing on more profitable ones.

I totally feel your pain! I fly out on Sept 17 (a day earlier) for my cruise on the 18th adn Frontier did the same thing. I found out at the end of August by accident. Frontier wasn't going to contact those with reservations until 14 days prior to the scheduled flight! I was calling them to upgrade to stretch seating. Well 2 days worth of calling and trying to secure other flights, I finally got a flight down still on the 17th, but coming home 2 days later than I wanted (this now includes 2 extra days of expenses).

Good Luck!

I totally feel your pain! I fly out on Sept 17 (a day earlier) for my cruise on the 18th adn Frontier did the same thing. I found out at the end of August by accident. Frontier wasn't going to contact those with reservations until 14 days prior to the scheduled flight! I was calling them to upgrade to stretch seating. Well 2 days worth of calling and trying to secure other flights, I finally got a flight down still on the 17th, but coming home 2 days later than I wanted (this now includes 2 extra days of expenses).

Good Luck!

WOW see that just is not good customer service but what else is new these days?

Good luck to you too-hope they don't change again.

Linda

Hey everyone thanks for listening to me whine-I don't know what I will do when all the airlines stop going direct.

Jet Blue is booked and Delta cancelled.We have flown with them so many times without an issue but now that direct is gone so are we.

Linda

Hey everyone thanks for listening to me whine-I don't know what I will do when all the airlines stop going direct.

Jet Blue is booked and Delta cancelled.We have flown with them so many times without an issue but now that direct is gone so are we.

Linda

Good for you!, Your on our cruise we are heading down a day earlier on JB

I used to work in the airline industry and I am glad I am out of it. It is a tough business to make any money. It is very complicated and pricing makes no sense to customers.

A couple of things struck me about this post:

1). There is a difference between a "direct" flight and a "nonstop" flight. A nonstop flight will take you from BDL to MCO without stopping somewhere. With a direct flight, your only guarantee is that the flight number doesn't change. I once took NW flight 49 direct from Detroit to London. We actually changed planes in Boston. The flight from Boston had three flight numbers (I think they were 45, 47, & 49) as that one plane was a direct flight from Minneapolis, Detroit, and Memphis. Airlines do this because direct flights show right after non stops in the reservation systems.

2). Airlines charge more for a nonstop because they are valued higher by customers. If you've been switched, you can get a full refund. Look to see if other airlines (or even Delta) are selling the route with a stop (hello Atlanta) for less.

3). The point about interline ticketing is a good one. The old line majors will interline ticket a passenger if there is a disruption. For example, you show up at the airport and the flight is cancelled. Delta will put you on American. Southwest and Jetblue don't. This is only relevant if there is a disruption and even so, no airline likes to do it as it costs them big bucks.

4). Orlando routes, as full as they are, aren't always that profitable. High fare business travelers subsidize leisure travelers. Everyone wants a cheap ticket to Orlando, Vegas, and Hawaii. Airlines are sophisticated at trying to fill planes. Once an empty seat leaves the gate, the Airline can't sell that seat. The costs of operating that flight are still the same.

5). Most of us want to spend our money where we feel valued as a customer. Will Delta gladly take your money for your twice yearly trip to Orlando? Sure. Are you that important to them? You fill a seat that would otherwise go empty at way less than the break even fare. They want you, but they want the consultant who finds out today that he has to be in Omaha much, much more. They just charged him $1000 for that last minute flight. While you might hate them today for what they did, their research tells them that you'll be back if they have competitive fares and flights in the future.

Remember, at the end of this, you're going on a Disney Cruise. Have a great time.

I meant 2012

Got a message from Delta they eliminated our flights and what would have taken 2.5 hrs will now take 6.

The same think happened to me for my April 2012 to Orlando on United. I wasn't notified. I was just checking my reservation and saw one of my flights was cancelled and they had switched us to a different flight. Causing us a much longer layover than we want. They have other flights that would be better for us but our travel agent says we can't change our schedule. She also said United could change or cancel flights again but it should be worked out by the end of the year. She says it's due to the United / Continental merge.

I meant 2012

Well thats good we planned to come a day early-I booked those flights as soon as they opened too.

Well Delta just lost 8 customers that fly at least 2x/yr.I wonder if anyone on here for these dates had the same thing happen?

Jet Blue here we come!!!!!!!

Linda

I am happy you got everything set without much issue. While I understand it is a bother to be thrown a loop in your vacation plans, just a couple of thoughts on your original post.

Delta gave you 7 months notice that they have changed something in their service that affects you. I think that's pretty great customer service. As I sit here, I cannot tell you where I will be seven months from now. That's a pretty good window for them to give you time to make changes without it creating a burden (a bit of hassle, yes, but not really too much).

They completely refunded your money (as they should) and you simply have to (and happily have) book a flight for your trip - with 7 months to go.

Does it stink to have to adjust things? Sure. But with ample notice and no lasting repercussions, 7 months notice is pretty darn good.

As for them losing you as a customer, there are a variety of reasons travelers pick one airline or another. Delta no longer offers your non-stop flight to WDW that you take 2x a year. I get the disappointment in that, but if you like everything else they have to offer, why would you not fly them again in the future if their schedules/pricing meet your needs? They took care of you as well as anyone could expect given a change in their business plan. They gave you plenty of time to make alternate plans and made sure you were 100% reimbursed. I am not sure we can ask for much more than that from a business. To be honest, we don't fly Delta because we don't care for their service, but after hearing how well they treated you, I may consider them next time my Frequent Flyer Miles can't get me where I need to go.

...Jet Blue is booked and Delta cancelled.We have flown with them so many times without an issue but now that direct is gone so are we.
Happy to hear you have a new flight that worked great for you! Sorry you have lost your Delta direct for that route. Maybe they will work out for your next adventure somewhere else. Here's to a great cruise! :wizard:

- Dreams

Same exact thing happened to me. I got an email last weekend that my flights had changed (third time a change had happened since I booked it). I was so frustrated that I called with little to no patience. This time, it wasn't just a time change...it was the same thing as you. They had cancelled our nonstop flights out of Hartford and put us on connections. I was livid. I just wish that they could have waited to end the nonstop flights until farther in the future, after the last flight has been booked. But apparently they did what was most profitable for them. However, I am another one who will never fly Delta again and NEVER have flown anything else to Disney before. I will chose another airline that still offers a nonstop flight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter