• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Delta keeps reworking the flights and now DD5 is sitting seperate!!

Gracie'sMom

Mouseketeer
I about blew a gasket over the weekend as I checked my itenerary online as I always do every couple of days since they've been playing with our flights A LOT from the beginning. This time though I found that they have split my sister's family and mine up onto seperate flights (we leave the same time from the same airport but booked seperate) AND they put my FIVE YEAR OLD four rows up and away from me! Hubby was seated by himself as well this time. I tried the 800# number and couldn't get them to understand that this was unacceptable. They kept telling me that this would be corrected at the gate and that I need to get there early and request a correction. I finally gave up and called the main Atlanta number hoping to talk with someone who had less of a language barrier (no slam intended, I've just not had any luck with the 800# customer service reps). The lady I spoke with in Atlanta ASSURED me that FAA regulations would not allow for an unaccompanied 5 year old to sit by herself and that it WOULD be corrected at the time of boarding and she WOULD be sitting with either her father or myself. Has anyone else ever had this situation occur and can calm my fears that this is indeed true? I would hate to go all "momma bear" on an atendant and end up in the airport pokey if this wasn't true!! :chewy:

One good thing though is that they were able to put my sister's family and I back on the same flights even though NO ONE is sitting with each other now. It's truly ridiculous to have them go through Cincy while we went through Atlanta and arrive home within 5 minutes of each other!

TIA for any feedback!

Don't worry. No one wants to sit next to a 5 year old by themselves. When you get to the airport explain the situation to the person at the counter if they can't do something the people behind the counter at the gate will be able to. Just play the my child gets airsick card if you need to. You may not get all three of you together but your daughter will be with one of you. We had this same situation happen to us a few years back and the gate people took care of it.

I have had this happen to me numerous times on Delta and AA (which is why I now fly SWA so often).

The issue is that we all book the same fare online and the computer has no way of knowing how old the passenger is.

Get to the airport early and ask for help, remember that the gate agent didn't cause the problem the computer did. She will likely be able to help you but if not don't panic. When you get to the gate ask again, its likely that other pasengers are wanting to sit in the exit row and that can only be booked at the airport. Once those passengers move it will open up seats and hopefully at least one parent can be be seated next to the child.

Please have reasonable expectations, be flexible and willing to sit toward the rear and realize that you may only get one parent with the child and the other adult may be seated elsewhere.

Be sure and pack your dd a backpack with all her things on the off chance that he/she is seated across the aisle or in front of you. Again, passengers who are asked nicely will likely move but its best to be prepared.

Of the many flights where our seats were re-arranged my dd had to sit in front of me once when she was about 6 and one row ahead of me on another flight when she was about 8.

A couple other clarifications,when you book your tickets you book passage from point a to point b, there is never a guarantee of seats on any airline. Although some carriers change flights more than others which results in seat changes.

A 5yo most certainly can fly alone as an unaccompanied minor on Delta and most other carriers. In light of that some FA's will be more accomodating than others.

TJ

A suggestion for the future.

When you book online the computer does not really think. It does not know you are five, it does not really even know you are related.

You can however, call and have reservations "linked" So after you pay call and ask to have your five year old assoicated with one adult. That seems to work based on what I read on flyertalk.com

I finally gave up and called the main Atlanta number hoping to talk with someone who had less of a language barrier (no slam intended, I've just not had any luck with the 800# customer service reps). The lady I spoke with in Atlanta ASSURED me that FAA regulations would not allow for an unaccompanied 5 year old to sit by herself and that it WOULD be corrected at the time of boarding and she WOULD be sitting with either her father or myself
First, let me stress the recommendations by the other posters here are excellent. But just so you know, Delta will transport entirely unaccompanied minors starting at age five - therefore, it seems there is no such FAA regulation as you were informed by the woman in Atlanta.

UGGH!!

Ok, so I need to polish my brown-nosing and BS skills and then chill out as much as possible. Thanks for the feedback even though some of it wasn't as bright as I had hoped for. I'll take all the suggestions to heart and do my best for this trip and in the future!

Thanks guys!

UGGH!!

Ok, so I need to polish my brown-nosing and BS skills and then chill out as much as possible. Thanks for the feedback even though some of it wasn't as bright as I had hoped for. I'll take all the suggestions to heart and do my best for this trip and in the future!

Thanks guys!

LOL - it will help that you have a sense of humor so your definately on the right track.

IMHO better to know what your up against so you can prepare than to be caught off guard.

TJ

Just be polite but firm. If the counter person can't help you, work with the gate agent. If that person can't help you, talk to the flight attendants. Still nothing? Calmly discuss changing seats with either your seatmates, your DH's, or your daughter's.

What NOT to do? Please do not threaten, have a tantrum, or (worst) come up with some line like, "Here, passenger seated next to my daughter. Here are her toys, and here are extra barf bags... she gets motion sickness... and, oh yes, she sobs incessantly when separated from a parent". :teeth:

At some point (in the dim and distant past) I posted a list of 'what to do', I'll try to re-create it for your situation.

1) Periodically check if any two seats together have opened up and switch to them (I don't know if Delta lets you do this on-line).

2) Do on-line check-in as close to 24 hours as possible. Airlines generally block seats (e.g. the first few rows for their frequent flyers) and they open up at 24 hours. You may be able to find 2 (or more) seats together at this point.

3) Try to get to the airport early and ask (nicely) about seats at check-in. People may have moved around during on-line check in or canceled their trip, opening up two seats together.

4) Ask (nicely) at the gate. Again, people may have moved around/canceled, people may have been upgraded, there may be another group of passengers trying to sit together.

5) Ask the flight attendant for help.

6) Ask your seat mates if they might be willing to trade. Try to trade the "better" seat or like-for-like For example, asking someone in an aisle seat to sit in a middle seat is less likely to work than asking someone in a middle seat to switch to an aisle. Also, most people prefer moving toward the front rather than the back.

Oh, and I agree with the previous poster who said that it isn't against FAA rules for your daughter to sit alone - I was flying as an UM at 5. I also agree with not threatening your seat mates - it isn't their fault that there is a screw up (I am generally amenable to moving, but if you try to threaten me, there is no chance that I'll be moving).

Although this is stressful, there is no doubt that you WILL be seated next to your 5yr old.

When are you flying? Airlines usually have seats reserved that they will open up closer to departure, although the seat maps will not show this. I have had best luck on the phone to the 800 number just before the 24 hour window of departure. Reservation agents will often help you to get at least two seats together. At 24 hours, there is a rush of people on line checking in for last minute seat changes, so in my experience it's better to call before then.

IF by unlikely chance you get all the way to the plane without a seat assignment change, the flight attendants will assist you as soon as they can. Get to your seat and ask people around to help you sit with your little one. It ALWAYS works out. (It's even easier if you or your spouse has a window or isle seat to switch with for a middle seat!) But seriously, it ALWAYS works out. Don't worry.

Don't worry!!!:hippie:

crashbb gave excellent advice; here is my 'what not to do' list
  • don't throw a fit in the gate area and start shouting at the GA or other passengers. Yes, I had a woman do that because when asked to change seats, I immediately said 'yes', realized within seconds that the new seat would put my arm/shoulder which was in a cast and sling on the aisle, and changed my mind. She began to berate me, screaming and stamping her feet, and needless to say, nobody would switch with her after that!
  • don't board and just take someone else's seat, assuming that they will move. It's one thing to stand by the seat, not blocking the aisle, waiting to ask someone to move; quite another to take the seat, unpack your carry ons, fasten your seatbelt, unpack your lunch, and then when the owner arrives, say 'oh, I'm settled here now, take my seat'
  • don't go up to the passenger in the desired seat and yell 'MOVE'. That will ensure that most people will not move
  • don't panic and get yourself worked up in advance, or you may lose control of your emotions. Yes, 5 year olds are considered old enough to fly unaccompanied on flights, and yes that does mean that you MAY end up away from your child. But your chances are better if you stay calm, polite, and pleasant
  • don't be ungrateful when someone does move; offer to buy them a drink. I have been offered a drink many times and have made the same offer myself; I never took the person up on it, and nobody has taken me up on my offer, but it is polite to offer a token. At a minimum a heart felt 'thank you' is appropriate, but I often see it overlooked
  • don't offer up your last row middle seat for an aisle seat in the elite zone. It's not a good bargaining chip. Use your 'best' seat as the bagaining chip, not your 'worst' seat
  • don't bully other passengers by threatening them with your child's bad behaviour, vomit, or other fluids

Sadly I have had many people behave this way on many flights, and it only serves to make me more inclined to board early and turn on my iPod and tune out.

I have also moved several times, when asked pleasantly.

I had this one happen to me last May.

don't board and just take someone else's seat, assuming that they will move. It's one thing to stand by the seat, not blocking the aisle, waiting to ask someone to move; quite another to take the seat, unpack your carry ons, fasten your seatbelt, unpack your lunch, and then when the owner arrives, say 'oh, I'm settled here now, take my seat'

I was on a MD80 and had booked seat A on the 2 seat side of the plane. I did this 8 or more months in advance. When I boarded, a man with his 5 year old were in the row. He said, you mind taking that seat as THE AIRLINE put her over there. I was glad to switch as it was an aisle seat, but I really wanted the window. They were already buckled in and had toys spread out all over the place. Of course I would switch, but I didn't like the fact that I would have been made out the bad guy if I didn't want to move. They gave me no choice... I am just glad they didn't try to stick me with a middle..... I am sure he boarded early and planned to just hijack my seat.....

I had this happen before when traveling with my much younger sister. She was 11 at the time and I just went up to the gate and told the lady that it was unacceptable for her to be sitting alone. I was also traveling with my 6 week old infant and explained that I needed her help getting in and out of the seat as well as reaching the diaper bag from storage when I needed it. They quickly resolved the issue without a problem. I think the pp advice about linking the child to you once you pay for the tickets next time is great advice. I will definitely keep that in mind in the future.

I don' t know their policy but NO!NO!NO!

I was watching a 20/20(I think) about how an airline (AA i think) overbooked a flight and this family of 5 were left without seats. Then last minute they had 3 seats become available, so they decided to send the dad ahead with the 2 younger children. WHen they got on the plane the stewardess placed them in different seat, telling the youngest (8yrs old) to come with her to a seat up front. When they got to the supposedly empty seat, it was in fact taken. SO THE STEWARDESS PUT THE 8 YEAR OLD GIRL OFF THE PLANE!!! They didn't tell her father and left the girl in the loading tube and took off!! The poor kid, by some miracle, found her mother and brother in the crowded terminal. The family received no apologies, there was no action taken against the stewardess-nothing!! Needless to say-I was foaming at the mouth watching this!:headache:

I am not saying this is what will happen-I am just using this as an example of what could happen-don't let your girl out of your sight.

This happened with me a few months ago, I checked my reservations and we were split up-I called Continental and the guy put all four of us back together again(3 in a row and 1 across the aisle).
I checked again a few weeks ago and saw that they had chnaged the plane and our original seats were in an exit row-not allowed with a 6 and 8 year old) and they had moved our seats again-this time we are in 8A and 7DEF, which is fine-I'd prefer to all be together, but it;s not big deal, as long as we are 3 and 1 or 2 and 2 so the kids are with a parent.

Why do they make you fix it at the gate? Why can't they do it now? I'd call back and ask for it to be fixed now.

OMG This will be about my 3rd time to fly and the very 1st for our 5 year old. Never thought we would not be seated together. So I am glad I read this to be prepared. Also great to know about the little girl who was left. They can just put us off the plane if she can not sit where I can reach her. Thanks to you all. I am off to check on those reserved seats.

I was watching a 20/20(I think) about how an airline (AA i think) overbooked a flight and this family of 5 were left without seats. Then last minute they had 3 seats become available, so they decided to send the dad ahead with the 2 younger children. WHen they got on the plane the stewardess placed them in different seat, telling the youngest (8yrs old) to come with her to a seat up front. When they got to the supposedly empty seat, it was in fact taken. SO THE STEWARDESS PUT THE 8 YEAR OLD GIRL OFF THE PLANE!!! They didn't tell her father and left the girl in the loading tube and took off!! The poor kid, by some miracle, found her mother and brother in the crowded terminal. The family received no apologies, there was no action taken against the stewardess-nothing!! Needless to say-I was foaming at the mouth watching this!:headache:

I am not saying this is what will happen-I am just using this as an example of what could happen-don't let your girl out of your sight.

You know I too know its the policy and always wonder what adults are thinking about this policy being acceptable..even what the airlines think...there are pages upon pages on the dis debating letting 14-15-16 year olds in the parks alone, 10 year olds riding a ride alone, kids going in a bathroom alone; yet the airlines seem to get by with allowing very young children to be separated from their parents on flights. And seriously I have traveled with groups and even when part of my group has been directly in front of or behind me you can't really hear what is going on or see (those seat backs are high and there is really no space between).

Liz

WOW!! That's pretty scary!

I actually am very hyper-protective of my girlie so she absolutely will never be out of my sight unless she's with another family member. In today's world when a 13-year-old boy can't get off his school bus and walk home without being abducted, I make no apologies for being overprotective. If they can't make things right I will simply wait out for another flight with her. There are 4 adults, 2 teens and the five-year-old going. You'd think we'd be able to get her sitting by someone! A smile and a firm stance will just have to get the job done! Mind you I wouldn't turn down a flight if there was a seat between us but I simply HAVE to be able to put my hands on her if needed for my own self-assurance!

This happened with me a few months ago, I checked my reservations and we were split up-I called Continental and the guy put all four of us back together again(3 in a row and 1 across the aisle).
I checked again a few weeks ago and saw that they had chnaged the plane and our original seats were in an exit row-not allowed with a 6 and 8 year old) and they had moved our seats again-this time we are in 8A and 7DEF, which is fine-I'd prefer to all be together, but it;s not big deal, as long as we are 3 and 1 or 2 and 2 so the kids are with a parent.

Why do they make you fix it at the gate? Why can't they do it now? I'd call back and ask for it to be fixed now.

When they put my husband, myself and my daughter back on the same flight with my sister's family there were only 3 available seats (none together). CS said there ARE seats being held that are not available to the public. She said we needed to take the seat assignments because without them (even though they really won't work out) we would be the first to be bumped if needed. I'm like you and as long as the little girl is with one of the 4 adults in the party I'm fine with it....heck, I could even get a good nap or a few chapters read if she's with her daddy!! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter