• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Delta Gold Skymiles AMEX--opinions?

stout

Mouseketeer
Any good or bad experiences with the Delta Gold Skymiles AMEX? I dislike the idea of getting a credit card just to save money in baggage fees, but man, we would save $100 in June, $100 in October, and $200 in December in baggage fees alone! Delta tends to be our go-to airline, so it doesn't make it that ridiculous to sign up for the card. Any feedback, good or bad would be helpful.

We have one and use it for flights so that we can save on fees but also board in zone 1.

We have quickly gained enough points to pay for a ticket or two as well.

They no longer have foreign transaction fees so we use it when we go out of the country.

I find there are a lot of benefits to having the card. You get the initial 30,000 miles for signing up for the card. You get your first piece of luggage free and get to board in Zone 1. You can earn extra miles for doing your on-line shopping through skymilesshopping.com. I click through this website every time I buy something on-line to earn extra miles. They have many, many different retailers, the only one they don't have is Amazon. You don't even have to use your Amex card to make the purchase. I bought my refrigerator from Lowes's clicking through the website and got 2 miles/dollar for my purchase. You also get all the other perks an Amex gives you, discounts on various things (there was a good one on iTunes cards recently) and pre-sale for tickets from Ticketmaster.

No problems with this card, I ran a couple big purchases through on it and I am planning on using it for summer travel to avoid bag fees on our trip in august.

We have it and love it. We live in a Delta hub city and my husband and I both travel for work on a fairly frequent basis. We definitely save on checked bags.

I had it for 3 or 4 years, the initial miles were hard to beat plus the free baggage. I haven't been flying Delta so I recently made the decision to cancel it before this year's fee kicked in. I'm flying American for work next month, 3 trips, so I got their card, I get 30,000 miles for spending $750 in the first 3 months. No fee first year.

Have had several years. Most years we do better than "break even" (use enough benefits to offset cost). Zone 1 boarding helps avoid gate checking a bag sometimes. The fee-free foreign transactions added were already helpful. They were supposed to be adding chip and PIN technology, but I just ordered a new additional user card, but I don't think it's there yet.

We had the gold for several years but just upgraded to the platinum. They used to give you a companion ticket in the continental US for $100 each year. Now, they got rid of that, but at the platinum card, you get a companion ticket for free each year, and the fee is basically $100 more per year. Considering we fly at least twice a year, it's a good deal for us. The free baggage alone is generally worth it if you will fly a least once per year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter