Definitely budget related - weddings

This isn't venue-related, but I read about this when I was getting married and it worked beautifully. I read that instead of getting your alterations done at the bridal shop, go to your local (reputable!) tailor/dry cleaner who does tailoring! I got all my alterations including beading and bustling for $60!

Can the port a johns be moved?
Or screened off?

Another thing . . . please, please come up with a back-up plan for bad weather! I have worked enough weddings (catering and cakes) to know that it's not uncommon at all for rain to ruin a bride's plans. And it doesn't always have to be rain: I clearly remember once -- I was only about 10 and was working with my mom -- the family was in the front yard having the wedding, and we were in the back yard with all the food, just waiting for the reception to begin. It was a VERY windy day, and the top layer of the wedding cake blew off. Fortunately, I caught it. Unfortunately, my fingers embedded deeply in the icing. Mom and I put it back on and FRANTICALLY covered my finger gouges with additional flowers and flourishes. It was bad, but if I hadn't been standing RIGHT THERE when it happened . . . it could've been worse.

That's not my only outdoor reception problem memory. There was the time the cake table was shakey, so I took my shoes off and waded into the nearby creek to find flat rocks to keep it steady. I had an indoor wedding, and I'll encourage my girls to do the same! Or at least an indoor/outdoor place. Actually, my husband thinks he's already picked out their reception venue -- it's a big party barn near us that does nice stuff. We went to a wedding there about two years ago, and he absolutely loved it.

If that's the case, can you look into one of the "luxury" porta potty rentals? They are WAY nicer than the regular old port a lets and some even offer "flushing" capability.

We have used the deluxe porty potties at parties - but there are expensive - we have paid $2,000.

They flush, have running water, wood paneling and air conditioning - important in July.

A great option.

The funny thing was that our Disneymoon cost almost DOUBLE what our wedding cost :lmao:
Congrats to your DD, whatever y'all decide on always remember it is the happiest day of her life and no matter how lavish or budget it is nothing will change that.:bride:

You sound like a wise woman who knows what is important in life!

You do live in one of the most beautiful areas of the country. I understand why she would like to be married outdoors. Is there anything near Cove Lake or Norris Lake State Parks? I don't remember the size or conditions of the pavillions they have. It has been a while since I was in the area.

DSIL lives in the Nashville area and is getting married next July as well. She is having her wedding at one of the plantations down there. I can't remember the name of it, but it will be able to have about 50 guests. The wedding will be out in front of the home and the reception will be on the patio behind it.
I noticed that you are in the tn area. I would just google wedding plantation nashville, tn and see what you come up with. There are several around the area. Good luck.

You do live in one of the most beautiful areas of the country. I understand why she would like to be married outdoors. Is there anything near Cove Lake or Norris Lake State Parks? I don't remember the size or conditions of the pavillions they have. It has been a while since I was in the area.

We went to one very nice wedding at Norris Lake State Park about 25 years ago. It's also on the list of possibilities. Cove Lake would be a bit out of the way, so I hadn't really considered them.

There are some very nice venues in the Nashville area (nearer to the groom's family but 200 miles from us). We're leaning toward staying near our home because we know florists and bands. Also, more of their friends live here.

So much to decide!

Thanks for all the advice.

Sheila

A suggestion for flowers is to use silk instead of real. A friend of mine found a warehouse that sells silk flowers and they were significantly cheaper than the costs she was getting quoted for real flowers from florists. Since they were silk, she was able to make all the bouquets/arrangements well in advance. They were high quality silk so they looked just as pretty and you definately can't tell in the pictures. The bridesmaids all got to keep our bouquets (mine is sitting in a vase in our guest room - made a beautiful decoration!) and she kept some of the table arrangements and gave the rest to her mom, mother-in-law, grandmother, aunts, etc. It saved a lot of money, plus it gave something that was able to be used after the wedding.

Another idea is instead of giving favors, make a donation to a charity. I have yet to get a wedding favor that I actually did something with after the wedding. We made a donation to Susan G Komen and put a card on each table saying we had done that in lieu of favors. This isn't something that necessarily saves you money (although it could because no one needs to know how much you actually donated), but we felt it was a better use of the money it would cost that on silly favors that half the time get left on the table anyway!

The magical key to curbing a wedding budget is to find a reception venue that does NOT have an exclusive catering contract. They can be pretty difficult to find, but that is your ace. If you can find one, you can go out on bids for catering, and you'll get a much better price than you would with a caterer that has an exclusive venue contract.

Have you checked local women's clubs? They often will rent out their clubhouses for weddings, though there can be some strict restrictions on use of the venue. (I got married at one of these, and they had a no-beer rule. White wine was allowed, but not beer, because if it spills it gets sticky and smells bad, and all but one room was carpeted.)

Another possibilitiy is the alumni houses of local colleges, and so much the better if you're an alum. Big schools usually lock in the catering, but commuter campuses often do not.

Oh, and about those wedding favors -- don't bother. No one really notices if you don't have them, except people who have recently been involved in planning a wedding. Also, I obviously don't know your religion, but if you are Catholic, Lutheran or Episcopalian and having a church service, you also don't really need church flowers; there will be some on the altar already. There are lovely big sprays of calla lilies in pots next to the altar in my wedding photos, but I didn't pay for them; they were the ones that the Altar Society had put out for mass that week. We added a few pew ribbons, but no add'l flowers.

We looked at three venues on Friday. None were perfect. One she rejected outright because it was in a state park and they were very strict about the alcohol policies.

She may choose one of them, but is not entirely convinced that it's big enough. It's also sort of oddly shaped. It's on two levels and if it turns out that she needs more tables on the top level, the majority of the guest will be a few feet lower than the bride and groom's table. Also, they would need to move the few tables on the higher level after eating to make room for dancing.

So much to decide.

Sheila

My sister was married two days ago. The wedding and reception was in the groom's parents's backyard. No rain clouds in sight, but it was unseasonably WARM for May in Kansas. I was in the wedding party, and we were drenched in sweat before the ceremony ever began. I'd keep that in mind. It was difficult to not think about how uncomfortable I was all day. I felt like my make-up was running down my face. I was self-conscious about sweating. The men had it worse in their black tuxedos.

Even the wedding guests went through the bottled water quickly. The ice melted almost immediately in the punch. It wasn't long before the only thing left to drink was alcohol--not a bad thing for some people, I suppose, but I really don't like the taste of wine or beer. We kept going in the house for water.

MissouriPrincess,

Thanks for the info, but I've been forbidden to mention how hot it is going to be in July again. At least the leading venue right now is air conditioned for the reception. The ceremony will be outside, but is relatively short.

The second leading place is totally outdoors (we'd have to rent a tent) but we visited in the afternoon and it was well shaded from the afternoon sun by tall trees. Definitely a bonus.

Sheila

My DD10 was watching "Disney Dream Weddings with David Tutera" on tv this morning......there's a budget buster.....she better start saving now!:rotfl2:

I don't have any advice but congratulations to your DD!!:bride:

Actually, Disney weddings can be very affordable. My sister got married in her hometown and I had a Disney wedding and they cost about the same, only for mine, we didn't have to do any of the work ;)

Not to sound rude, but I am in the process of planning my wedding and in order to have the wedding we want, we are paying for it. My mom was able to give me as much money as she thought appropriate and we are saving for the next year in order to have the wedding we want.

Oh and we are planning for a Disney wedding!

Not to sound rude, but I am in the process of planning my wedding and in order to have the wedding we want, we are paying for it. My mom was able to give me as much money as she thought appropriate and we are saving for the next year in order to have the wedding we want.

Oh and we are planning for a Disney wedding!

OP and her daughter are simply shopping around to find the best location, for the best price. There's nothing wrong with that.

I guess I just don't understand what the point of your post is.

I understand the need to shop around, I thought she was concerned that her daughter would not find a location she liked in her budget.

My post was not intended to sound rude - in my wedding I have learned how much things cost - and that's where I have learned to cut costs in areas not as important to me.

To the original poster - I have found it helpful to find 3 factors that are most important to us and to go from there for planning. Your daughter may find that helpful, as many people have told me to do that!

We recently hosted out daughter's wedding and were able to locate a lovely restored train station that has a restaurant inside with great food. They were very accommodating (since DD's preference was for the ceremony to be outside, weather permitting) and worked with a local church for rental of chairs. DD selected the train station lobby as the "alternate" ceremony location if the weather was anything less than perfect. Needless to say, in NE PA in April, it was too windy with threatening skies, so indoors we were. The high ceiling, period lighting, velvet curtained archways created an intimate setting. Even our florist was cooperative with moveable pieces that we were able to use in the lobby for the ceremony and then place in the restaurant for the reception. Sorry for the unnecessary details - my point is, perhaps your local historic society would be able to offer suggestions. Best of luck to your and your DD.

i do agree that ya have to think outside of the box on location. I would have LOVED to have my wedding at this wonderful medieval castle in Gloucester, MA but the venue was $3k alone...just the venue. Nothing else. And everyone would have had to travel.

Instead, we are getting married at a Renaissance Faire in Dallas--I am from there and a good portion of my friends and family are already there...David's family would have had to travel no matter where we got married. The package at the Faire is $2560 for wedding garden, reception pavillion, food, flowers, live period music during the ceremony, the cake, officiant and admission for 30 guests. Additional guests are $40 a head. Even at 50 guests, we are at less than $5k for the wedding. I'm having my dress made by a seamstress for $180 with me providing the fabric. We are giving jars of honey harvested by a friend for favors as well as cd's with the wedding/Renaissance music on them. And tiny castle frames...they are actually placecard frames but we are putting thank you cards in them and giving them. They are $1 each..pretty affordable, imo.

Everyone we tell is quite enthusiastic about the venue...including David's 93 yr old mother!

There are some amazing venues most any place...I would definitely ask around. Community centers...what about apartment clubhouses of someone you know? We used to live in an apartment and I would KILL to be able to rent their clubhouse for a reception now. And, yeah, I really don't envy yer July outside. Ick.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. :) p.s. try www.craftster.org for DIY ideas.

We have many historic buildings in the area, but most are very high dollar. I suggested the local train station, but one of DD's friends was married there recently and she didn't want to "copy" her.

Sheila

Sorry if my post implied our train station wedding was high dollar! We didn't have to pay anything for use of the station. In fact, the owner of the restaurant section within it was thrilled, as well as the small community it is located in and the folks who worked so hard at the restoration. We really didn't have much time to plan or to come up with the $$$ for a large expensive to do. So we did what we could afford at short notice. It was just a thought. I'm sure you will come up with something suitable to both your DD and your wallet! Happy planning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter