Decorating an off site hotel room---anyone done it?

Eddygirl

Mouseketeer
Or planning on doing it?

This is our second time to DL. We are staying at the SP mid Sept for a week. I looked at the welcome packages offered in the resort hotels and thought about having gift baskets delivered to our hotel. I thought about what I could do for much less money leaving more in the budget for a couple fun meals in the parks. (Blue Bayou resi made!)

I plan on checking in (around dinner time) sending the kids and DH for a swim and doing the room up then joining them.

I have gift baskets for each child with disney beach towels, swim suits, flip flops, pj's, t-shirts, toiletries, lanyards, pins and random fun bits and pieces. I have been scouring the sales at the Disney Store online...and made a few good scores at Kohl's and Target. I live in Canada so was finding Disney merchandise here is made for the younger kids to size 6x....my kids are 8-13.

I have some die cuts coming from Etsy. I am planning on making a "Surprise" banner for the door and a "Welcome" banner for over the dresser mirror in the room. I also have big mickey head confetti and some Tink silhouettes. I was planning on using poster tack to hang anything...no chance of damage!!

I am thinking of ordering a balloon bouquet to be at the hotel when we arrive and am going to try and find some treats. Anyone have any ideas? We are driving so do have some wiggle room with packing. I was also thinking mickey rice krispie treats. I could make them and they would hold and travel well.

So....I know this is a popular thing to do at DW. What about DL??

I'd love to hear anyone's experiences or ideas!!!!!

Sounds like so much fun! Your kids will love it!

I've never gone "all out" to the extent you're planning too, but we stay at the Hojo Kids Suite whenever we visit and I started a tradition during our furst visut that Mickey Mouse brings the boys (now 7 yrs, 5 yrs, and 2 yrs) presents each morning. So when they wake up each morning, just inside the door, there is a small gift for each child. I've done different things for the gifts, all found at Walgreens, Target, Dollar Store etc.: Mickey Mouse water bottles, Disney stickers, Mickey books, Mickey and Minnie cookies, little plush Mickeys, Mickey tshirts, etc. The boys are SO excited that "Mickey came into their hotel to bring them a gift" and it even curtails their need for souvenirs in the park. I remind them, "Remember Mickey already bright you special gifts and they are so special you can't even buy them here at Disneyland. Only Mickey can give them out :rotfl: We tend to buy them one thing in the D-land store at the end of the trip, but they are even more excited about the cheaper items that Mickey brings them :thumbsup2

Oh ya I forgot...I got the plushies when they were on sale at the Disney Store!!

I figure we could do it differently this time...last time we bought a wack of stuff at the end of the trip to take home. I figured this time give it to the kids early and let them enjoy and use it there. They will have their own spending money that they can use for other things they would like. They have been saving for this trip for a loooong time!

I like the idea of little presents every morning! It all just makes it more magical!!!!

Gee.....I think I am waaaayyyyy more excited than the kids if possible!!!!!

I do what Anne does - last year DD only wanted one thing at the parks - a giant lollipop! Right now is a great time to pick up Disney summerwear for cheap since it is all being clearanced as the end of the season. I get shirts for the kids for 7 bucks or under. DD is a size 6-7 so it is harder to find cheaper stuff for her now that she is not in the toddler sizes anymore.

I haven't decorated the room, but that is a great idea!

I always decorate our room at HoJos. I get those Disney decal clings that go on windows/mirrors...(not stickers.,,they are clings and come off easily). Wecan usually use them for about two or three trips. (I have found them at Michaels and seasonally at the dollar store)

We put them on the mirrored doors, bathroom mirror...anywhere with a glass like service they will stick too...

It makes our room a bit more Disney magical!

We did this last December. I UPS'ed a tree and all the trimmings last year. We actually hung stockings for eight of us and put up lights, the whole works. The kids loved it. I have pics of all four kids decorating the tree and the room. It was fun. Getting all back home was more of a challenge, but well worth it.

Wow love your idea! What a great mom.
It is our daughters birthday so we are covering the floor with balloons and have a birthday banner to put up we will do this while they sleep so they wake up to it. we also have ordered an autograph book each, personalised ear hats, a letter from mickey, glowsticks and will pop to dtd and grab some plushes and a cupcake as a gift from mickey and minnie.
We are having lunch at Ariel's (with a cake) and I have made princess packs with a royal procliamation declaring them a princess, letter from their fairy godmother, tiaras, sahes, princess chocolates, another plush(hoping to get flounder and pascal), necklaces, stickers, temp tattoos, coloring packs, giant lollipops, a princess dress, and play make up. I may add more to these once we arrive in the states and come across anything at walmart etc. We also have blowouts for the lunch. I have heard if they know its a birthday they will decorate the table with mickey conetti etc-fingers crossed

FUN FUN FUN! I had F2 Balloons come into our room prior to check in and they floated balloons to fill the entire room! Plus she made two beautiful balloon bouquets for each of the the kids. It was a treat that lasted the entire week.

After we got back from our last night at Disneyland we popped them all to celebrate one last final moment!

Window clings-awesome! Glow sticks-fabulous idea especially for the fireworks evenings!! Gotta get to Michael's!

You guys rock!

Dopey's MIL -How much did she charge for the bouquets if you don't mind sharing? I am thinking they won't do the room ahead, but I guess I could get them delivered to concierge before we get there? And I love the Disney or Bust sign!!! I am putting that on my list!! It is a pretty long haul for us and we are driving......

OMgosh...I have 4 days off before we go in 3 weeks. So much to do!

I just want this to be really special for my kids. They totally own this trip.....they wanted to come back to DL so we asked them to figure out how they could save and sacrifice. We have had a big mason jar they decorated on my kitchen counter for the last year and at the end of the month the money goes into the "disney account". For instance every Friday night instead of ordering pizza we make it and put the 40 bucks in the jar. Any time they wanted something extra we would ask if they REALLY wanted it or if they wanted to put that money in the jar? Most of the time they put the money in the jar! We have very rarely eaten out and my husband and I promised not to have any lunches out or even buy a coffee. We put a set amount in the jar for that every week. After 6 months we realized they were serious so we booked the trip and I finalized and paid last week. I am so proud of how everyone has worked together! (and it has cut down on the amount of "stuff" that comes in the front door!;)) In fact everyone agrees the "Disney Jar" is staying put after our trip......they now want to save to fly to DW in 2 years!

That is awesome, eddysgirl!! Some places I found cheap Disney stuff, Walmart clearance (they also have Disney balloons to blow up, 2 bucks a bag), I got those light up spinner things for 5 bucks each at WM too (they sell them at Disney but I got the generic ones), Disney tattoos and stickers,

Target has glowstick bracelets 15 for a buck, great for the parks at night, get a TON, they go fast. Target also has cute Disney stuff in their dollar area, especially near the holidays.

Dollar Tree has Disney puzzles and lots of cheap Disney trinkets. I usually get the puzzles and baggie them for when we are in restaurants. They also have glow sticks and necklaces.

HTH!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter