• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Decorated sites ... where are the "old timers"?

This situation is really sad. Our loop (800) is a virtual ghost town. Last year, this loop was packed! We have no one next to us and on either side. Our neighbor across from us was heading to the front desk yesterday morning to add an extra night for his family. He was denied, told the Fort was full. WHAATTT!!!!???? The surrounding sites remained empty all night. Including his.
Here is a man with a young family. They had 1 little Pooh inflatable. They were so proud they decorated. It was their 1st time camping. They had one of those rented class c's from camping world.
He was so dejected he could not surprise his family. He asked over and over, "how is this ok?, who is paying for empty sites?" "How can I find out and pay them?" I had no answer.

So because of a few inconsiderate disgruntled
Travel agents who book the Fort, can't fill them, then dump them, a family who could have become rv-rs loving the Fort and Disney are now having second thoughts. These are the people we all enjoy being neighbors with.

Shame on those who are doing this!

When our family goes down to Fl, (usually every year for 2-3 weeks for vaca.) we stayed at a campground over on the Space Coast for about $23 a night, then add in gas and tolls both ways, getting up early to go to the parks and then getting back late, it all adds up. (I'm not ashamed to say it, but we don't do the Disney parks). Last Sept. beginning of Oct. was the first I surprised the family and we went to the Fort for a week. The amount time that we saved going to and from the parks was worth the price of a tent/pop-up site IMO. Disney prices for tickets is just to much for use to bare, we have annual passes to the other theme parks in Orlando because they are not that expensive for a family of 4. When we were there last year, once Monday came we noticed the same thing. We stayed in the 2020 and it was empty up until Friday when it started filling up again. Our neighbors were a little rowdy, until late at night but it didn't bother us and they apologize for there behavior and were a good bunch of people, just having a good time like the rest of us. I think I'm getting a little off topic, but you know what I mean, I hope.

I suggest anyone that is upset about these issues with t.a. using modifications to insure they have reservations for last minute clients and phantom guests issue write to the gen. manager at the fort. If enough campers complain things WILL change. The vaca homes hold groups up to 20, these people are trying to vacation by saving money in general theyre NOT eating onsite. :hippie:

Way ahead of you on the contacting the gm of the Fort! Typed one out, printed, in his inbox at the front desk. CM at the front desk commented, "oh another love letter." : )

How do you reach the Fort GM? I actually intended to write a positive note about 2 CMs in the Settlement trading post, but forgot to do it before we left, and now I don't know where to send it.

Happy to write a letter. We stayed last week and had numerous sites empty around us (2000 loop). It took moving heaven and earth to get the days I wanted. I had to book 5 of them within the 5 day cancellation window day by day and on top of it had to get up every morning and check out/in. GRR! What a waste of time!! I got my exercise, that is for sure!! If TA are really doing this I hope NO ONE uses their services!!

What would be the point, though, of TA's doing this? Don't they have to put a deposit on the sites and therefore lose that deposit if within the 5 day cancellation period? Seems like a waste of money for nothing, as I don't think they can upcharge for the sites. Someone please tell me what I'm missing.

Over on the Theme Park and Strategy thread someone actually posted a question about getting this option when staying offsite and using a "site" at FW for getting all the perks. If you notice, for some funny reason, it got shut down real quick. I'm sorry guys, but there are people lurking around here that do not want attention brought to this practice.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3210854

What would be the point, though, of TA's doing this? Don't they have to put a deposit on the sites and therefore lose that deposit if within the 5 day cancellation period? Seems like a waste of money for nothing, as I don't think they can upcharge for the sites. Someone please tell me what I'm missing.

Yes, they would lose the deposit if they cancelled the reservation within the 5 day window, However, they don't cancel it, they just reschedule it for a later date and use it for their next customer. Since this travel agent books/holds a lot of sites for her potential customers, she's keeping a lot of reservations (on hold) that could otherwise be used for the general public.

We're here for our umteenth Christmas time with our decorations. We put up as many as we could in the space available. We enjoy doing it and have had many complimentary comments from passers-by. We just wonder how some campers get the same large or corner sites year after year when we have to take whatever the CM says is available.

We just checked into the cabins today, our lights are up. Although weve been to WDW many times over christmas, thisnis our first time in the cabins.

We're here for our umteenth Christmas time with our decorations. We put up as many as we could in the space available. We enjoy doing it and have had many complimentary comments from passers-by. We just wonder how some campers get the same large or corner sites year after year when we have to take whatever the CM says is available.

How about, not what you know, rather, who you know. :scratchin

McFlurry John

We just checked into the cabins today, our lights are up. Although weve been to WDW many times over christmas, thisnis our first time in the cabins.

That's great. When you get off the bus at the end of a theme park day, your lights will call you home. Are they outside around the deck area or inside around the window area?

Bama ED

duranfan, I do recall...

We had a poster a while back this summer that said sites were being reserved for the perks like Early Admission, etc but not being used. This was being done by Travel Agents. See post #2 in the thread below. Here is the relevant entry. It's along the same lines you mentioned.

I had also heard that before they tiered Free Dining, off siters or even locals would book a value just for the regular DDP. EMH was just a plus.

Not to get too far off track but imagine how empty a fully booked Fort would look if campsites got Free dining.

Were at the fort for a few wks. Plenty of decorations.... Much as the past. Seen a lot rolling in.
Re: the agent... She's got a whole sham. Not going to get in it but Disney is aware now.
She's not doing these ressies like a typical agent. No money lost.

It's better if cms don't say too much. Anyway the mess is over.

Is it? Since people are saying there are so many campsites empty, yet the Fort is booked when you try to get a night?

Or are there multiple other agents besides the one you referred to who are still doing it? It seems like Disney could figure out how to stop that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter