Decline of Disney Dining?

This is why I have started the appetizer dining plan. Since these are not covered by the DDP I believe they have a little more freedo both budget wise and creativity wise to make better food

They have to sell the appetizers. So now I just order them

Clever idea.

This is why I have started the appetizer dining plan. Since these are not covered by the DDP I believe they have a little more freedom both budget wise and creativity wise to make better food. They have to sell the appetizers. So now I just order them

It is so funny that you mention this because this is actually my preference. I could appetizer myself for the whole week we are there. Glass of wine and appetizer & salad and I'm satisfied.

OK folks...I don't want to start a riot here, but over the last few years my DH and I have noticed that we are getting more and more bad dining experiences. We've been coming regularly since 2000, several times a year (as DVC makes it easy for us to do so!).

We've always spoiled ourselves on vacation as we don't eat out a lot at home and have eaten at most restaurants on property several times over these past 13 years.

In the beginning, honestly we couldn't get enough of dining out at Disney. The food generally was fabulous. Even the more "value" type places like ESPN was really good - nice generous plate of nachos instead of some cold tostitos thrown on a plate with not-enough-half-melted cheese.

Menus were creative, often transporting one to distant lands: example, DH and I would often sit at the open kitchen seating at Jiko (when chef Annette was there) and they would give us samplings of the most WONDEROUS creations (can't remember everything but I think there was a nice maize tamale, and the flatbreads were amazing, tuna carpaccio, heirloom bean salad, this beef appetizer with a banana dipping sauce, etc.) NONE of these except maybe the flatbread are on the menu anymore.

Wolgang Puck had the BEST sushi ever...creative inside-out rolls with sauces and crunchy things and NO FAKE CRABMEAT in their California roll and a huge menu with lots of yummy Californian/Asian/Austrian food (as only Wolfgang could do).

The list is endless of places that were once GREAT and now we sadly won't go back...Whispering Canyon:The skillet used to have yummy smoked pulled pork and the last time we were there it was off menu and just bad bad greasy bland food. Boma: the last few times we went the roast beef had so much fat and was tough and undercooked...just BAD! Tusker House: we loved when it was quick service...yummy sandwiches, salads, now its yet another buffet, argh!

I seriously could go on and on. And the thing is I, like you, am the BIGGEST Disney fan. I want to enjoy myself at these places. I want Disney to do better. I'm sad, no like REALLY SAD, that the restaurants have gone so down hill.

Does anyone have insight as to why? Is it the Dining Plan? New Management? Budget cuts due to a soft economy? Anyone? I would love to hear others thoughts.

BTW we did have good experiences recently at Flying Fish, Ragland Road, Beaches and Cream and believe it or not San Angel Inn (super good tortilla soup and tostadas).:cloud9:

We always do Deluxe Dinning so our viewpoint may be different because of that. We feel that the Signature restaurants for the most part, still give an excellent dinning experience. But....they are very expensive and continue to go up and up. The one point restaurants can be really hit or miss. Some are pretty good and some are just awful. I will say that over the years I think that the service has become better. It is very rare for us to receive anything less than stellar service.

Since most of those posting here (myself included) have extensive experience in WDW over many years, do you think the expectation is higher? We aren't the inexperienced crowd looking for free coupon dining?

The food used to be better.

I honestly have no expectation that it will return.

"Free dining coupon"...LOL. Look, people will settle for less when they think they are getting something for free. Free dining is popular.

The thing that gets me is the people that pay for a dining plan KNOWING it is not a good deal for them but they do it only for convenience. Having everything paid for in advance is the reason they do it. That I truly do not understand.

I'm pleading with Bob Iger to develop another Disney Gate -a theme park based solely on the way things USED to be!

I wonder if they had a dining plan that was NEVER free if the decline would've happened, like a pre-paid dining option? :confused3

I remember going to Disney in the late 80s, early 90s, and the food was great anywhere you ate on property. I remember eating at Cape May Cafe (forget the year) and the dessert table was full of entire cakes, which you served yourself, that were made at the Grand Floridian. So many choices, and they were all good.

Now it seems that they are really trying to streamline by buying in bulk, so everything is the same no matter where you eat. I have also noticed that although there are a lot of 'foodies' on the Dis restaurant review boards, a great many posters seem to enjoy the really sugary things, or the really bland things. I have tried so many well-reviewed food items with high hopes, and they are just so blah. It's probably easier to make food blander/sweeter and it is popular with a large proportion of diners who are often eating with their young children. And it's cheaper to use less spice: spices are expensive!

We always do Deluxe Dinning so our viewpoint may be different because of that. We feel that the Signature restaurants for the most part, still give an excellent dinning experience. But....they are very expensive and continue to go up and up. The one point restaurants can be really hit or miss. Some are pretty good and some are just awful. I will say that over the years I think that the service has become better. It is very rare for us to receive anything less than stellar service.

I agree with the service. the only place I have found it either bad or horrid is the "much loved" Le Cellier (But they are so hyped that they don't think they have to do anything but open the doors and "allow" the guests into their place LOL)

I wonder if they had a dining plan that was NEVER free if the decline would've happened, like a pre-paid dining option? :confused3

Even if you pay for the DDP you have to do the math It's just not much money that winds up going to the resturant to cover the cost. So they have to cut back on "fancy and costly" to make it work.

This is why I have started the appetizer dining plan. Since these are not covered by the DDP I believe they have a little more freedo both budget wise and creativity wise to make better food

They have to sell the appetizers. So now I just order them
:thumbsup2 This is a great idea, I'm going to try this in December.

Regarding Le Cellier..I will most likely drop this ADR. The prices are even more steep now and as much as I like steak, paying $42 for a Ribeye steak is silly.

Even if you pay for the DDP you have to do the math It's just not much money that winds up going to the resturant to cover the cost. So they have to cut back on "fancy and costly" to make it work.

I guess what I'm saying is have it never be free for those who wish to prepay for their dining experience. They could have a list of restaurants specific to the plan. That way I think those who like to prepay, could and, perhaps, still hold on to the integrity of the food quality. I'm referring to the ones who would do it regardless of the math. I'm sure if Disney wasn't making a killing, they wouldn't be doing it period. I don't know...I was thinking along the lines of the resort hotels in the Caribbean that aren't all inclusive, but have a prepay dining option.

1) Yes, to all of the above.
2) But, the main reason is QSDP/DDP/DxDP.
3) PLAIN AND SIMPLE.
4) A lot of us talk to cooks and chefs during breaks and such in the cafeteria.
5) Even they complain about the restrictions of/on menu items.
6) The downward spiral has started, and can't be reversed.
7) Unfortunately, many people buy DDP solely for convenience.
. . . they don't realize it costs more than OOP
. . . and many don't care about quality or uniqueness

NOTE: According to the chefs and cooks, it was discovered that
many DDP people (ESPECIALLY during Free Dining, when people
come for the free food without any expectations) just are not
sophisticated, and eat anything their coupons will buy. Thus, the
menu items are less dramatic, less creative and less spectacular.
We have thought this for a long time, but it took conversations
with the kitchen staff to confirm it.

I honestly take offense to this. I've eaten all over the world and know good food from bad. To say that someone isn't a sophisticated eater because they are going during free dining is unfair. We are going during that time because it fits our budget. Otherwise we'd have to stay off property and eat on the cheap. I still expect the food to be good, fresh and interesting.

I have been visiting WDW since 1972 and dining at a Disney restaurant was always a "Must Do" during any visit. In the past few years since Magical express and DDP promo offers the dining has gone down hill so much that our family does not let ourselves locked to the "Property".

We now rent a car (again) and experience the many shopping and dining experiences that are available in Central Florida. If you are keeping your family chained to a Disney resort then you need to free yourself and your credit card balances and see all of the opportunities that are within 30 minutes of the Magic.

Disney previously set the standard for dining out. They provided a "WOW" experience each and every time! Now other establishments offer as good if not better than Disney provides but with better value.

i.e., AMC Dine-In Theater vs. Sci-Fi dine in Theater
Texas de Brazil vs. Ohana...etc.

This week for the 49th time in my life I will once again visit WDW. During our 8 days we have only 3 ADR's. We love the MAGIC of visiting the parks but the food is not what it once was and we like finding new dining experiences that Central Florida has to offer. Sorry popcorn::

I'm not a Disney vet but I totally agree with your comment on The Foodnetwork age. It's very obvious to me that I cook and eat more sophisticatedly than my parents and their friends. I remember once seeing a bottle of garlic juice in my childhood friend's parent's fridge. :) Bluck. I watched a show on the rise of the Foodnetwork and it detailed how Americans have become more sophisticated about food which is evidenced by the success of that network and others.

Never thought of this, but definitely could be part of the the issue. :confused3

I have been visiting WDW since 1972 and dining at a Disney restaurant was always a "Must Do" during any visit. In the past few years since Magical express and DDP promo offers the dining has gone down hill so much that our family does not let ourselves locked to the "Property".

We now rent a car (again) and experience the many shopping and dining experiences that are available in Central Florida. If you are keeping your family chained to a Disney resort then you need to free yourself and your credit card balances and see all of the opportunities that are within 30 minutes of the Magic.

Disney previously set the standard for dining out. They provided a "WOW" experience each and every time! Now other establishments offer as good if not better than Disney provides but with better value.

i.e., AMC Dine-In Theater vs. Sci-Fi dine in Theater
Texas de Brazil vs. Ohana...etc.

This week for the 49th time in my life I will once again visit WDW. During our 8 days we have only 3 ADR's. We love the MAGIC of visiting the parks but the food is not what it once was and we like finding new dining experiences that Central Florida has to offer. Sorry popcorn::

I don't disagree there are much better options outside the parks, but therein lies the problem...it's outside. Try to get kids to leave to find better food...it ain't happening. I don't want to leave, get in the car, find a restaurant, eat, get back in the car, drive to whatever hotel or back to a park and THAT is what Disney counts on and does. They decline the quality of food because they can. Those like you, don't tolerate it, and that's great, but many aren't going to leave. That's the long/short of it.

1) Yes, to all of the above.
2) But, the main reason is QSDP/DDP/DxDP.
3) PLAIN AND SIMPLE.
4) A lot of us talk to cooks and chefs during breaks and such in the cafeteria.
5) Even they complain about the restrictions of/on menu items.
6) The downward spiral has started, and can't be reversed.
7) Unfortunately, many people buy DDP solely for convenience.
. . . they don't realize it costs more than OOP
. . . and many don't care about quality or uniqueness

NOTE: According to the chefs and cooks, it was discovered that
many DDP people (ESPECIALLY during Free Dining, when people
come for the free food without any expectations) just are not
sophisticated, and eat anything their coupons will buy. Thus, the
menu items are less dramatic, less creative and less spectacular.
We have thought this for a long time, but it took conversations
with the kitchen staff to confirm it.

When we eat at our sign places in the hotels we hear the exact opposite. The staff praises the chefs for the freedom Disney gives them and from the chefs we have talked with over the years and even this past June trip the chefs are very thankful for the freedom they are given so its not all chefs on property that aren't happy or feel they do t have the freedom they wish. As for the food we eat. We always have wonderful meals at the places we eat at. We do pretty much only eat in the hotels anymore. We don't eat at all in the parks anymore except for cs lunch if we even eat lunch. We mostly snack during the day to be nice and hungry for dinner. Dinners is the one thing I always look forward to each trip year after year.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Iv always paid oop till 2011 when my sister and I got the fd. We were staying at pop so we got qsd. We had three adrs that we paid oop. Two were buffetts, one was cape May clam bake(horrible) never saw steamers so small and the other was chef mickeys,food was cold,felt like I was in a cafeteria. La hasendia I would say was the best ts we had on that trip. The only consistently good meals were when we would leave the park and used our qs credit at one of the resort's. Coronado springs pepper market was the best qs food and since most people were in the parks it was not crowded,the cooks took there time making your food because they didn't feel rushed. I know people love the convenience of having there meals paid for but there is no value there. If disney starts to cut back on the fd, maybe we'll see the quality improve. It's pretty sad that (at the time) in order to get a decent pizza we had to have papa John's deliver to our resort because the pizza they sell at the resort's was some of the worst pizza I had ever eaten. And it was cheaper too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter