Decline at FotLK?

The "Equity" people are the singers, the tumble monkeys, the hyena (fire knife guy) and the male and female dancing birds. Everyone else falls under the $6.50 /hour catagory including the animal dancers, the stiltwalkers and the puppeteers.

scrapbookingpro said:
Everyone else falls under the $6.50 /hour catagory including the animal dancers, the stiltwalkers and the puppeteers.

And I think they are doing a spectacular job during the show.

scrapbookingpro said:
The "Equity" people are the singers, the tumble monkeys, the hyena (fire knife guy) and the male and female dancing birds. Everyone else falls under the $6.50 /hour catagory including the animal dancers, the stiltwalkers and the puppeteers.

When you say $6.50/hour is that the minimum these actors get or is that what they all are getting (for example, are the new folks paid $6.50 and more veteran folks getting $7 or more?)

Also, do they get free housing?

Are they paid just for the hours they perform or for 8 hour days? Do they have other responsibilities like the parade?

I'm just curious...I had a friend from the show when it first opened with the park, but don't know what current policy is...

I am very disappointed to hear such blantant size-ism particularly from someone who claims to be larger themselves :sad2: . But that's really just a personal opinion and not my point here.

What I did want to mention is that in many forms of dance, particularly those that aren't based in European history, a larger body isn't considered anything to hide or to keep you from being a wonderful dancer. In particular, African dancing is one of these forms of dance. So its completely appropriate, if not more authentic, to have dancers of all sizes.

Ballet is and will likely always be the realm of a very thin body type :banana: ....but most folk dancing, hula, bellydancing, and african dance are traditionally done by those with a more robust frame. :Pinkbounc :cool1: :yay:

Hey. Well i just saw this show today (2pm) and i can't say that it was any less energetic than last yr. There were a couple of funny moments where the elephant trunk kept hitting one of the men on stilts, altho he wasn't at all put off.

I also am surprised by the comments about the tribe leader man. I would have always assumed that he would be larger anyway as an 'important' man in his group. Also, what does it matter- he sang so well that i couldn't care less! :thumbsup2

Anyway we all still got our goosebumps, particularly in can u feel the love tonight. They did fantastically IMHO

88Keys said:
I could be totally wrong, but I don't think many, if any, of the performers in FOLK are getting $6.50 an hour. I think a good chunk of them (if not all) are members of Actor's Equity.

Nope. Only the four singers, four tumble monkeys, one fire twirler and two bird dancers. The ten animal performers four stiltwalkers four puppeteers and one Timon are all a member of the truck drivers union that covers characters. I think they do get 25 cents extra for being in a show. So $6.75 then.

88Keys said:
When you say $6.50/hour is that the minimum these actors get or is that what they all are getting (for example, are the new folks paid $6.50 and more veteran folks getting $7 or more?)

Also, do they get free housing?

Are they paid just for the hours they perform or for 8 hour days? Do they have other responsibilities like the parade?

I'm just curious...I had a friend from the show when it first opened with the park, but don't know what current policy is...

Free housing, that's funny! NO, they don't get free housing. I'm trying to get this info correct...my ex is dictating it to me. I think one set of the $6.50/hour crew does four shows and then goes to do the parade....for only six or seven hours of pay. The other set does five or six shows for eight hours of pay.

The starting wage is $6.95 for full time, less for CPs and seasonal and parttime, and you do get an annual raise. FoLK dancers and stilt walkers get an additional 50 cents an hour for a show premium. They are character performers and may do things all over property, but often when people are trained for that show, they will find themselves there a lot.

Robo said:
Like in any theater, the "house" (audience) can have an effect on how "good" the show seems.

Oh boy is this sooooo true! It's hard to give the energy when all you're seeing is several hundred bored looking guests staring back at you!

Yeah, have you noticed that over the years the Country Bears are seeming less dazzling and energetic? And if you want to talk about large performers....whoooohooo!

The audience makes all the difference.

Thanks to all of the CMs that gave details on the job -- I do not know how you all do it. Most of the time, you all are giving 100% in heat and humidity (even if you are in FOTLK, you still may have to do a hot parade) and what seems magical to us can quickly become "just a job". I hope your hard work leads to great opportunities either as a featured performer at WDW or elsewhere and PM me if you are thinking of moving to the DC/Maryland area (second biggest in terms of theater in the country) -- I know a lot of folks looking for resumes....

It's one of my favorite shows I hope it's as wonderful as when I saw it last. My oldest who was 3 1/2 at the time was asked join the show so I saw some of it through tears along with my then 79 year old mother. This time in september I'm taking my sisiter who hasn't been in 34 years. Can't wait. Can't wait for pirates to come out either pirate:

We saw it earlier this month and noticed a particular stiltwalker who was so wonderful! He was energetic, getting everyone to clap, even though he was not one of the ones in front. I thought, wow, he must really like his job, and his enthusiam was catching.

I/we love the show and thought it was great! It was probably the 15th time we've seen it.

Bobbi :goodvibes

I agree that the audience makes a difference. I don't know this from first-hand experience, but I hear it from my husband (he's an opera singer) all the time. For full-scale operas, he says it doesn't make a difference but when he does smaller scale concerts, it definitely does. He, however, has a way of bringing the audience out of their shells. So, some of the responsibility of getting the audience involved lies with the performers.

I will have to say it's hard to be enthusiastic when the performers aren't, well...very good. And the last crew I saw at FOTLK...they weren't very good. The singing especially. Unless you knew the words, you couldn't understand them..their diction was horrific. And they were so into ornamentation of the song that it took away from it.

On the other hand, I can't imagine these people working 6 days a week for $6 - $7 a hour in the heat, the humidity and then at the end of the week not having enough money in their paycheck to live. It's ridiculous and I think Disney needs to pay more and that will translate into better performers.

Now, I'm not bashing all of the shows at Disney. I'm talking specificially about FOTLK. I guess I'm sensitive to this because it was our favorite show. The performers around World Showcase are fabulous and very good at getting people involved. Of course, they perform 10 or 15 minutes. Indiana Jones...I've noticed no decline. The Dapper Dans on Main Street are absolutely FABULOUS. I can't imagine strolling down Main Street and not hearing them.

PamNC

disneyde said:
It's one of my favorite shows I hope it's as wonderful as when I saw it last. My oldest who was 3 1/2 at the time was asked join the show so I saw some of it through tears along with my then 79 year old mother. This time in september I'm taking my sisiter who hasn't been in 34 years. Can't wait.

I think that is why so many CM's stay with their jobs even with the low pay. They love the guests reactions and Disney itself. The benefits are good too. It is sad when you hear people saying they can only put $5 in their gas tank. Or they can't live in their appartment anymore since rent is going up $100 a month or it is turning condo. I know times are tough all over the country for most folks but at least up north they start you at $10-12 an hour:) At WDW you have to have been there many years before you get to that level!

PatriciaH said:
I think that is why so many CM's stay with their jobs even with the low pay. They love the guests reactions and Disney itself. The benefits are good too. It is sad when you hear people saying they can only put $5 in their gas tank. Or they can't live in their appartment anymore since rent is going up $100 a month or it is turning condo. I know times are tough all over the country for most folks but at least up north they start you at $10-12 an hour:) At WDW you have to have been there many years before you get to that level!

Not if you're still in the park business they don't. ;) Most I got paid working at a park (place called Spooky World, Halloween theme park that Disney actually thought about buying) was $7 an hour, also did a kids park ($6.50) and a zoo (same).

BlindTyldak said:
Not if you're still in the park business they don't. ;) Most I got paid working at a park (place called Spooky World, Halloween theme park that Disney actually thought about buying) was $7 an hour, also did a kids park ($6.50) and a zoo (same).

Yes, it is hard to work full time at a park. I tell my friends unless you are in a professional M-F position at Disney, part time and seasonal are the best:) You still get the benefits but you tell them when you can work.

PatriciaH said:
Yes, it is hard to work full time at a park. I tell my friends unless you are in a professional M-F position at Disney, part time and seasonal are the best:) You still get the benefits but you tell them when you can work.

True. If you are full time you pretty much give up your life without any incentive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter