Deck 6 and seasickness?

mickeyb63

Earning My Ears
Have cruised the WONDER twice before on deck 1 and 2. Concerned about more movement higher up and more forward (6045). Any recent cruisers experience motion on 6? Sailing the MAGIC 04/30/05. ALREADY PACKIN! Can hardly wait!!!!! :earboy2:

I can't tell you about Deck 6, but we were on Deck 7 on the Wonder a few years ago, and LOVED it so much we booked Deck 7 again. We didn't have any problems with motion. We'll be on your cruise, and are from Michigan, too!

I was in room 6546 in February 2005 on the Wonder and we rarely felt any movement at all. In fact, I didn't even know we had left Nassau or Castaway Cay until I looked out our veranda and saw we were moving. I didn't see or hear of anyone getting motion sickness the entire trip. We did a Carnival Cruise in November which never seemed to stop rocking...even the catsup kept falling off the lunch buffet tables. I got up in the middle of the night sick (bonine must have wore off). I did use a patch behind my ear just in case (prescription from doctor) in February, but took it off due to side effects. We were with 8 other relatives and no one else was queasy at all the whole trip.

I think it is kind of hard to compare rocking on decks unless you experience identical sea conditions.

When we cruised a year ago we had seas 20 to 30 feet. We were on deck 6. We really did not see much of a difference between our stateroom rocking and say deck 3 rocking. They both rocked! (in a bad way). I did not actually get seasick, but my poor husband did.

We are booked in a CAT 9, 2nd deck for the next cruise. I wanted to stay lower to minimize the rocking effect, but my husband feels that it really didn't matter what deck we were on, on that cruise, we felt it everywhere.

You all probably know this but don't forget that your perception of the rocking motion of the ship is minimized by moving more toward the center of the ship, not necessarily the deck. It does stand to reason that an upper deck midships cabin will move more in pitching seas than one several decks directly below. But these spaces will likely move less than cabins toward the bow and stern.

We were on a RCCL cruise for our honeymoon many years ago and we picked the cabin from a brochure that had deck plans in it. Seems the cabin we picked was double the size of other cabins in the same category (lots of floor space), but way at the front of the ship. On our return leg (7 day Bermuda from NYC), we sailed through a cold front that had caused pretty big waves. The last day, I woke up, tried to start my day, but wound up going back to bed. Watched my wife pack. Never left bed until right before dinner which I still couldn't eat.

From that day we decided that mid-ships cabins were probably the best bet regardless of the deck. Outside cabins always! Balconies only if we feel expansive.

Here's another Michigander reporting in on motion. We sailed last April and we were midship on Deck 2 and we sailed again this past January, staying midship on Deck 6. We had much higher waves during the January sailing but during the calm times, there was no appreciable difference between decks, imho. Have a great time on your cruise!!!

Thanks everybody. It looks like we are going to give deck 6 a shot. Based upon the general opinion upgrading to cat 9 for $1200 would not make much of a difference. :cool1:

I'll be interested in the movement you feel up on deck 6. I'll be on Deck 8 on the Wonder August 4th. I have alwways been either on 1 or 2. Never thought about the movement that far up, at least you won't hear the engines roaring at night!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter