Decisions, decisions...

NJMomma

Mouseketeer
Hi all. I was wondering if you could give me your opinions.:worship:

We just sailed the Western itinerary on 4/5 and enjoyed it a lot. We booked our cruise for next year at that time. Well, it turns out I need to change which week we are going, I guessed wrong when Spring Break would be. The cruise that goes out the week we have vacaction is the eastern itinerary. I am hesistant to take the Eastern itinerary - we been to St. Martaan and St. Thomas twice before on previous cruises and didn't like them enough to go back. Anywho, I've been checking out other sailing dates. I am toying with the idea of doing the western double dip in Nov. 2009, but I'd have to take my kids out of school for a week for that. Another option is the 10/31/09 sailing (western itinerary again) because the kids will be off 2 days that week. Also, the Oct. and Nov. sailings will cost us much less than the April sailings, which is appealing!

I am curious as to others opinion of my fellow DISers on the (1) the Eastern itinerary (2) the weather and sea conditions in Oct and Nov and (3) taking the kids out of school. My son will be in 6th grade and my daughter in 1st grade in fall 2009. My son is in a self contained class which moves slower, he wouldn't miss as much as a mainstream student.

Thank you all for your help!:goodvibes

Weather, late October and early November on one of my cruises was great, hot sunny, but not humid CC water fine, Halloween was great.

Both East/West 7 nights are great, and also a doulbe dip is great, but selling fast.

Join us, join us on the Double Dip! You know you want to!!

I have no qualms about taking my kids out of school - it's only a week - they will be in JK and Grade 4. (don't even get people started on the whole taking your kids out of school thread)

As for November weather, it'll be warmer than here:rotfl: :rotfl:

I would wait until the Fall and go on the Western. We are also not fans of the Eastern ports but absolutely love those on the Western. Your kids are still young enough that a missed week of school is easily made up and the weather shouldn't be an issue. We've sailed twice in October and had great weather both times!

Good luck with your decision!

Hey NJMomma, we were on the 4/5 Western and met you at our cruise meet. Your kids are young enough. Pull them out and enjoy!

We booked for 6/09 but we may change...Our DD will be in High School next year, so pulling her out is not an option for us.

hey there! just my 2 cents in regards to taking children out of school...we are booked to go on the magic in may 2009 and my dd will be in 1st grade...at her age, i am not worried so much about her missing work that can't be caught up, but more on absences. that's why we are going towards the end of a school year. i will have more time to monitor absences and will be able to cancel as late as feb. without penalty if i get antzy about the days she has missed. otherwise, if all looks good by feb., we will be taking her out for a week. i think if you can go during a week that minimizes absences, that is a real bonus. we did that in january - we went to wdw during a week that my dd had 2 days off and so she only had to miss 3 days. i don't know anything about the weather on the cruise ships in the fall, so i can't help you there - sorry!

I've done both Eastern and Western in October, and Eastern in March. I personally prefer the Eastern, and definitely prefer any itinerary in October over March. Of course, we haven't hit a bad storm year in October, either. Ocean temps are chiller in March than in October. And on our March cruise (this year) the seas were rougher than we ever saw in October - I think they did say it was some sort of fluke winter storm.

Between the warmer waters and the lower rates, I'd go for October/November. I have my next one booked for Oct. 09.

We cruised in October last year and took my two girls out of school (grades 3 and 4) for 4 days. No big deal, no push back from the teachers. Tons of people seem to do this in our elementary school, generally for Disney trips.

The weather on October was perfect, perfect, perfect. It's my favorite time to visit Disney (or cruise).

And personally although I haven't done the Western, I'd really like to. Wish they would add some new destinations!

We did both the Western & Eastern and we liked the Western better.

As far as the kids and school, I think it gets harder as they get older. My DD is in 1st grade and my DS is in 6th grade. It wasn't too bad for my DD, but it was a little tough for my DS to make up 5 days of work & tests.

We have cruised on the Eastern Itinerary. I have to agree that St. Marten isn't my favorite place to visit, but we LOVED St. Thomas and can't wait to go back! When we were on our last cruise (an Eastern) and I asked my family which cruise they wanted next, all of them voted for the Eastern Itinerary again. We'll try something different at St. Marten next time.

As for dates, We've sailed in November and in January. Both were great weather! Our next cruise is Oct. 2009 and I can't wait!

As far as the school issue goes, I look at it from 2 points of view. 1st-my view as a mom. I've got 2 teenage sons and we've taken them out of school for all of our cruises. We plan ahead, prearrange the absence and make sure the boys have their work done before we leave. Our travel window is really limited. Both our boys will be in high school. They have different sports which go all year round! We picked a week that one sport should be over, and the other won't be in full swing yet! Plus I teach at a multi-track year round school on a different schedule than theirs!

My 2nd point of view is as a teacher-life is short and family is the most important thing! Take your children out and enjoy the experience no matter what cruise you choose! Your children's teachers can assign them non-typical work such as a travel journal, an experience log, math for the miles traveled, meeting and documenting new aquaintances (where they are from, how they met, what did they do with them).

Make your choice based on what will make your vacation and family time the most valuable to all of you!

I wish you the very best!pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter