Deciding on Character Meals

Chumpson

Mouseketeer
Last time I went to DL I had my boys (6 and 4) and we went to Goofy's Kitchen. They had fun with it and it is something I would like to do again.

My question is which character meal would be best for us if we are now taking my daughter (4) with the boys (7 and 9). Is there one that all of the ages like? Do boys and girls like different ones? I could see my girl loving Ariel's but the boys might get perturbed by all the princesses. (they are in the "pink is for girls" stage)

Thoughts on the different meals?

I was actually thinking Goofy's for the whole family and then letting the wife and daughter go to Ariel's as a special treat on a different day.

Thoughts? Ain't planning cool? :banana:

What a thoughtful dad you are, giving your girls a 'girlie moment'! :)

I have two young boys, and we'll be going to the Lilo & Stitch breakfast, as well as Goofy's Kitchen for my younger son's 2nd birthday dinner. I think having your wife and daughter do a princess breakfast (without her older brothers moaning and groaning along with it) is a great idea - The princess breakfast is very popular, so I think it would be a very memorable experience for your little girl.

WOW. Can you tell I had two older brothers? :rotfl:

Just to clarify on Alex2kMommy's post, it's a Princess lunch or dinner, not breakfast.

Anyway, I think that would probably be the most ideal. Do Goofy's together (or a CnD breakfast) and then let the girls do Ariel's for lunch. :) My daughter's loved Ariel's, but I could totally see how your boys wouldn't like it as much. Seems like your idea is the perfect compromise!

My son wanted to post:

I think that one night you should go to the Princess Character Meal as a family and the second day you should go to Goofy's Kitchen all together too. I would be o.k. going to the Princess Meal too if it makes my sister happy. :)

Mom2micayla said:
Just to clarify on Alex2kMommy's post, it's a Princess lunch or dinner, not breakfast.
DOH! Mom2micayla, thanks for the correction! :teeth:

wackywexler said:
My son wanted to post:

I think that one night you should go to the Princess Character Meal as a family and the second day you should go to Goofy's Kitchen all together too. I would be o.k. going to the Princess Meal too if it makes my sister happy. :)

What a nice brother thinking that way, your sister is lucky to have you for a brother,

Have you done any character meals in Disneyland before? We did all of them the last time we were there and I must say that we were blown away by Minnie and Friends at the Plaza! My kids are 8 and 10, girl and boy and this one was by far their most favorite. Goofy's didn't have near the interaction that we got at the Plaza Inn. We got so many autographs! We got Minnie, Captain Hook, Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore, Chip, Dale and Fairy GodMother. Anyway if you haven't looked into it you might want to!

meandthree said:
Have you done any character meals in Disneyland before? We did all of them the last time we were there and I must say that we were blown away by Minnie and Friends at the Plaza! My kids are 8 and 10, girl and boy and this one was by far their most favorite. Goofy's didn't have near the interaction that we got at the Plaza Inn. We got so many autographs! We got Minnie, Captain Hook, Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore, Chip, Dale and Fairy GodMother. Anyway if you haven't looked into it you might want to!

I'm so glad you said this! Minnie & Friends is what we've decided to do w/ our 4 yr old dd and 7yr old ds. We've never been (well, I was there when I was a teenager) so we're totally excited and looking forward to the breakfast!!!

meandthree said:

I'm glad you said this, too! I have signed on for 2 Character meals, and I already know one will be the Princess one. We did Goofy's Kitchen last time, and while I think I will add that again this time, on the day we leave, I still need to figure out which other character meal we want. I was leaning towards the Lilo and Stitch one, but the Plaza Inn sounds really nice. And we can have that right in the park!
Thanks for sharing!

We also have PSes for 2 character meals, but I think DS1 would love to see Winnie the Pooh and friends at Plaza Inn! Might have to see if we can add that one on...

I wish my 2 son's would let me have a princess lunch!!!!!!! :rotfl2:

My husband got teased the last time we went to WDW because we had the lunch at Cinderella's Royal Table. It was me, DH, and 2 DDs. Our friends thought he would be bored at an all-female affair. His comment.... "What?! Surrounded by beautiful princesses! Sounds good to me!"

Maybe in a few years your sons will like to join you :teeth:

May I ask, does anyone know how the prices vary depending on the location? I'm kinda thinking of going in June, but, um, it wouldn't be with any kids :teeth:

I'm thinking Minnie and Friends would be the way to go for breakfast just to try something new. Nothing agains Goofy's, but I would like to see different parts of Disney and since I haven't done it.....

Okay, now for breakfast how much time are you losing by going to breakfast? Do you get to go to breakfast before the park opens?

You don't get to go before the park opens and you are allowed 90 minutes which is more than enough time. So you could conceivably lose 90 minutes but if you had to stand in line for these characters it would be much longer. It was so nice just to walk up give them our name and be seated. We saw so many people try to walk in without a reservation and they were told that you ALWAYS have to have a reservation at the Plaza because it is always full! We are going again in October and will definitely do the Plaza Inn again!

Maybe it would be good to do on "Early Entry" Day, if we have it? We could ride some rides then show up at the breakfast.

Doesn't Goofy's open earlier than the park? I don't remember our timing, but I thought we got there really early.

So, in the off season where the park opens at 10... You can go to Goofy's and still make opening of the park, but not at Minnie's? They start serving at 10? Hmm....sure would make me think Goofy's would be a better way to go for the time issue.

We did both Goofy's Kitchen and Ariel's Grotto last month and did it the exact way you have planned. The whole bunch at Goofy's and then just the girls for Ariel's. We did dinner at both as breakfast was free at our hotel and then we skipped lunch and went for the early dinner. I must say that the food at Goofy's was much better (I still dream about that bread pudding and vanilla sauce!!!!) and the prime rib was great!!! It was also more of a party atmosphere as we sat right near the food and that was where all the dancing took place. We had great character interaction there as well and saw Princess Aurora who was not at Ariel's. Ariel's is much more sedate. We were seated outside and it was freezing so we waited 40 minutes to be seated inside which was much prettier. We had PS from 60 days previous but that didn't seem to matter. The princesses come in and then just go around to the tables one at a time, very orderly and that is pretty well that...I did get some great pictures of my daughter with the princesses but we did not have the fun time we had at Goofy's IMHO.

Either way you will have a great time, I know we did, but you might want to save Goofy's for last as it is a great time!!!!

K in SA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter