Deciding on accomodations

MalkaR

Mouseketeer
I'm looking to visit WDW with my family (me, DH, 8, 6 and 4 year old sons) at the beginning of February 2017 for a week. I'd like to keep costs down and we can't eat out at all (we keep kosher) so we'd need a kitchen or at least a microwave, fridge, counter to prepare food. I'm leaning towards a 3 bedroom at Windsor Hills with a splash pool, but Wyndham Bonnet creek or the disney resorts have the fancy pools. However, will pools be basically unusable in February? My kids get cold fast in pools. In that case, I guess fancy pools, slides, lazy rivers, etc are taken out of the equation. On site, we wouldn't have to pay for a rental car or parking, but we wouldn't have a full kitchen. Anyone have any ideas I'm not thinking of?

The food courts have a microwave you can use if you stay onsite. You can shop for groceries. Eat simple like peanut butter sandwiches.

Staying onsite gets you extra magic hours and 60 days out for ressies on FP+.

If you are not going to need the splash pool. Consider one of the 3bed condos at Windsor hills. You'll enjoy the full kitchen two baths and extra room for your family.
It would be difficult to eat well for a week without a full kitchen.

We use the pool when we go in the winter. The splash pools are warmed to the mid 80s and you're only a couple steps away from being inside the house. We usually stay in a pool home but always use the pool. Our grandkids basically live in it when we're at the house. You can park by your front door in a townhouse. We like having a car to come and go as we please, the extra space and privacy, and having a kitchen although we usually don't cook big meals.

I have never stayed at WBC but I would think the pools would be chilly in February. I would compare it to going to a water park in February - no thanks. I would suggest booking one of the townhomes in WH where you can have a splash pool that is heated. We book through vacation central florida but there are many owners in WH. There are plenty of grocery stores nearby. There is a super target around the corner too.

I would highly recommend Bonnet Creek. The location cannot be beat. The pools are incredible and I know that at least one pool and lazy river is heated. Your kids would have an absolute blast with the pools, free mini golf and activities they have for the kids.

There are also a couple bar/restaurants at the pools and it is also connected to the Wyndham Grand hotel which has several very good restaurants.

That being said, your kids will have a blast anywhere...but as an adult I think Bonnet Creek is hands down the best bang for the buck at Disney and has an awesome resort feel for mom and dad.

I just realized that you keep Kosher so the restaurants probably won't help.. But did want to then mention that they also have gas grills throughout Bonnet Creek if you wanted to grill one day or evening poolside.

We stayed here again this past April for 11 days and rented a three bedroom for $120 a night inc. taxes. We rented via myresortnetwork.com if that helps.

Have a great time wherever you stay!

Surprised that no one mentioned that you CAN stay onsite and have a kitchen if you want. The Disney Vacation Club villas can be rented and have full kitchen amenities. They are, however, fairly pricey even when renting points from an owner.

I would not write off pools in February however. February weather can be cold, or it can be hot. All depends on the week; it is quite variable that time of year. Almost all of the larger timeshare resorts (Wyndham, Sheraton, Marriott) have heated pools if the weather is warm. These can be rented for a much better price than you are likely to get DVC for. However, factor in the rental cost of the car and parking if staying offsite to get a true comparison of your costs. You may still want a car for grocery getting if staying onsite - transportation to a grocery can otherwise be difficult (cab or Uber-like services).

BTW - we don't even write off water parks in the winter. Crowds are low, so you get to ride lots. Just pick the hottest day of your vacation. We travel early March and have only skipped the water parks one year because of cold weather. If the El Niño coming this year is as big as they expect, you'll probably want to swim.

Condos in WH or similar areas are also a good option. Lots of space and privacy. The one downside is that each one is individually owned, and if you get a bad unit you can't really switch. The larger chain resorts will move you quickly if problems arise. Also, check the owner's rules - some expect you to pretty much clean the entire unit before you leave; not a great way to end your vacation.

Be prepared to run few loads of dishes and clean surfaces in the kitchen if you are being truly careful. We have a child (well almost adult now) with food allergies, so we always give the kitchen area in a timeshare an extra clean and run pretty much everything through an extra wash cycle. Dishes in resort units are cleaned to household standard, not professional food service standards. Always best to be careful.

All the WBC pools are heated except for the one with the Pirate ship and slide.

Windsor Hills is great and their pools are heated also. We use a company called VillaDirect when we have family come in to rent a vacation home/townhome/condo. Afforadble and its like you live there so you get access to all the goodies. Not just Windsor Hills though places like emerald island or paradise palms are great too. All heated pools. I think they will heat the pool of the home too....

I'll jump in on the Windsor Hills bandwagon. Great facilities, great location, not far from grocery stores and takeout places, and you can find some great prices on VRBO.

Thank you all so much. I think I've decided to do a Windsor Hills townhouse with private pool that can be heated. I even found listings with three beds in one room so my three boys can stay together. All for around $100 a night. Amazing! I'm so excited! I'm bookmarking all of the listings that catch my eye.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter