• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Deciding on a resort to buy- need opinions

Raenstoirm

DIS Veteran
Beach club is our favorite hotel, so it is our number one choice of home resort, however its resales are sky high right now for some reason. Yes, we can wait till the prices drop, but I really wanted to be full owners (past ROFR and closed) by our spring trip. Its post spring break so I suspect we wont have an issue getting a "good" resort (we are past the 11 month at this point), but I don't want to wait for BC to drop and have the price actually go up more and our other options go up too. And there is a rumor about disney cutting resale benefits again, so Id like to avoid whatever mess that is. We rented points for BW last month and liked that a lot too and its points are $20 cheaper right now (just based on asking prices), so thats an option.
Then of course there is BLT. With two infants, being able to walk to MK and back for naps and such would be a really nice feature for the next few years and its contract is 20 years longer that the epcot resorts and its dues are cheap (but that might be an age factor and may skyrocket as the building ages) but its pricey to buy and requires more points to use each year.
We tend to travel late sept, early may (after the spring break madness has calmed down) or early dec. How fast does BC fill up during those times if we buy BW and wait till the 7 month window? Is it better to buy two smaller contracts and do the bank/borrow thing to stay at each home resort every other year or so?
I have been researching and planning to buy one of these damn things for 5 years, but now that I am ready to pull the trigger the options are killing me! lol

First off don't rush buying because of rumours about restrictions on resale those are a permanent fixture. If you intend to use DVC points for DVC resorts any changes are unlikely to effect you.

BCV is a small resort so if you really want to stay there buy there. Especially for December. you might get lucky in May or September but unlikely December. i have swapped out many times to other resorts but never managed BCV it is one of the hardest. I'm also not convinced BCv will come down in the near term.

My personal opinion BLT is a better family resort BCV to me is a bit adult apart from the pool.

If you really want to stay at BC the majority of the time then your safest bet is to buy there. It is very popular because of SAB and close proximity to Epcot plus it is much smaller than many of the other DVC resorts. You may be able to book it at exactly 7 months sometimes but I definitely would not expect to be lucky every time. There are lot of people who advocate buying SSR simply because it is the most economical choice and booking elsewhere at 7 months-so there can be a lot of people competing for what availability is left at 7 months

We stayed at BLT in 2014 without DVC with a 6 and 1 year old and the walking back and forth to Magic Kingdom is so great, we were able to take a break during the day and head back to MK within 10 minutes. I just made an offer for BLT DVC and it was accepted and we are waiting for ROFR. With small kids I would suggest BLT, I think it will always be a good option even when they get older...

We tend to travel late sept, early may (after the spring break madness has calmed down) or early dec. How fast does BC fill up during those times if we buy BW and wait till the 7 month window?

early dec is THE peak season for DVC bookings and BCV is a small resort - extremely unlikely
late sept is epcot's food and wine festival and BCV is walking distance to epcot - extremely unlikely

early may gives you a *chance* but if flower and garden is successful in adding food&wine-type booths to increase demand for that period for epcot...i wouldn't be too surprised if you'd go 0-for-3.

if you want to stay at BCV, you should own there and book at 11 months out for busy periods like you prefer. if the extra years are valuable to you, BLT is a good choice. if you are sure you will just be happy to be onsite at wdw, SSR is a great deal if you buy resale and has a longer contract term as well - but i wouldn't buy there if i would just end up frustrated not to be at BLT or BCV... still too expensive to not work out like you want...

I agree that BCV is not as easy to get into at the 7 month mark during those time periods as other places will be. Owning BCV and then trading out to BLT will be an easier switch, IMO, than the other way around. I really believe that if one has a preference on where they want to stay most of the time, then one should own there to minimize the stress that comes along with having to wait until 7 months and then not being able to get what you want for exactly when you want. For example, you may find that getting a 1 bedroom is available but not the studio, etc. I also agree that the prices for BCV will probably stay where they are for several more years as it is also remained strong since I became a member in 2009.

Good luck!

We bought at BCV... We have twins (love your profile pic!!!!)... Our first stay was in the VGF when it was fairly new in fall 2013 and our kids were 1 year old on that trip. We just couldn't beat the convenience of being so close to the MK, since that's where we spent most of our time. Rolling the stroller right onto the monorail was awesome. I would say the same would apply to walking from BLT. Next trip was at age 2 and this time we stayed at BCV. We loved it there, too, and being able to walk to Epcot and the Studios is great. And the kids LOVED the pool!!!!! However, they didn't like the long bus ride to MK. So this next trip in November we will be back at VGF. And we are trying to purchase points at VGF so that we have the option of owning at both. I think BCV will prove to be a good long-term choice for us once the kids are older (and hopefully, if the Studios ever get their upgrades). But at this age, we find ourselves spending the majority of our time at MK. Not to mention, most of our favorite restaurants are located at GF, Contemporary, and Polynesian. If the VGF contract ever comes through, we will do the bank/borrow thing and alternate resorts each year. Fingers crossed.

We are BLT and BWV owners just for the near park convenience.

You are unlikely to get into BCV in early December unless you own there.

The best perk about BWV? The std rooms. Your points STRETCH with these rooms if you do not care about the view :). Good luck!

Unless you don't mind playing the booking game, waitlist game, buy where you love to stay.

:earsboy: Bill

Beach club is our favorite hotel, so it is our number one choice of home resort, however its resales are sky high right now for some reason. Yes, we can wait till the prices drop, but I really wanted to be full owners (past ROFR and closed) by our spring trip. Its post spring break so I suspect we wont have an issue getting a "good" resort (we are past the 11 month at this point), but I don't want to wait for BC to drop and have the price actually go up more and our other options go up too. And there is a rumor about disney cutting resale benefits again, so Id like to avoid whatever mess that is. We rented points for BW last month and liked that a lot too and its points are $20 cheaper right now (just based on asking prices), so thats an option.
Then of course there is BLT. With two infants, being able to walk to MK and back for naps and such would be a really nice feature for the next few years and its contract is 20 years longer that the epcot resorts and its dues are cheap (but that might be an age factor and may skyrocket as the building ages) but its pricey to buy and requires more points to use each year.
We tend to travel late sept, early may (after the spring break madness has calmed down) or early dec. How fast does BC fill up during those times if we buy BW and wait till the 7 month window? Is it better to buy two smaller contracts and do the bank/borrow thing to stay at each home resort every other year or so?
I have been researching and planning to buy one of these damn things for 5 years, but now that I am ready to pull the trigger the options are killing me! lol
BLT is likely a much better long term value than BCV. BWV is not only cheaper, it has the standard view options and the BW view option as well. For the times you're looking, two of them shouldn't be difficult to get other things if you want to stay other than your home resort, early Dec will be the more difficult but easily workable option if you have some flexibility. Since you've been doing some research over a few years, just spend enough time to make sure you understand what you're getting into. As another member here points out, if you buy and aren't happy, you can always sell with relatively minimal costs. Personally I'd rather make the best decision possible up front but at the same time, over thinking this can be just as bad.

Seems like all resorts are tough to book Sept to Dec except a SSR or OKW. If it were me, I would go BLT or BWV. Beach club is just too expensive with a much shorter duration too. Plus standard rooms at both BWV and BLT stretch your dollars.

I wouldn't buy BLT because your kids are infants - they'll outgrow naps in the blink of an eye, and in the meantime, BLT lake view isn't a difficult reservation.

BCV won't come down in price, but as people have said, you'll very rarely get it from mid-September through early January if you wait to book until 7 months.

We own BWV and VWL as they are our favorites. VWL is a lovely boat ride to MK, but is secluded and peaceful. Standard and Boardwalk views at BWV are both great options and you can easily walk to two parks.

VWL has the upcoming construction issue that could make this resort less desirable.

VWL has the upcoming construction issue that could make this resort less desirable.
Or more desirable depending on the specifics. It really depends on how much impact any construction has on the current resort specifics and whether the new sections are part of the resort or separate. The specifics of that situation including any possible extension will also affect the demand, value and costs.

We bought BCV because it's where we love to stay. Early December has also become a favorite time to visit for us and is a very busy DVC time because of the low points to book. We also love early May. My advice is buy where you want to stay.

As everyone is agreeing BCV are expensive, they are the most expensive Disney park resort to own, however I bought there because I wanted to be able to stay there at the times you are suggesting, and I love it. BLT, currently and generally the second least expensive resort to own, while I don't have a desire to stay there plenty of people do for the reasons you state as well as others. For your 1st purchase that is where I would suggest for you with a sept uy. Don't expect BCV prices to come down, when DVD has it available they sell it for $160 so a resale at $98 while expensive is a good price.

You said that Beach club was your favorite resort so for me it would be a no brainer to buy there. It is a good buy and can be unloaded fairly easily if you should have the need. Do not buy something based on your needs now but what you project your needs to be in the future. Magic kingdom being closed to the monorail resorts should only be considered if you truly love one of the resorts. The convenience will not be a factor as much when kids are older so stay where you feel you belong for ambiance. Also consider what size unit you might need to fit your family when they are older and what those points will cost. Poly is out for me although I love the location but because the only options are studios or a vastly over priced bungalow, I passed on it. BLT is so not my cup of tea although location is terrific.

I personally prefer BWV because of location, boardwalk views and Grand villas. BC doesn't call to me despite having a nice pool so I'm glad I didn't buy there first. BWV have some of the highest MF's though so over the cost of the contract you could probably end up paying a lot more for it than BC. In any case you love BC and that should be the overriding factor .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter