• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Deciding between the 1/2 & Full - I think I may be crazy.

BrianD

DIS Veteran
OK, I'm reluctant to even post this, because I almost don't want to hear that I shouldn't do this, but I'm posting anyway...

I am a first time runner. First let me back up. I am about 30 or so pounds overweight (in my early 30's) and have been needing to drop this weight for about the last 8 years, with no success. Well through my love of all things Disney, these boards, & Mike Scopa, I decided that running could really be a great challenge for me, with the idea of running Disney races being a little carrot there dangling in front of me. And this could really get me in shape!

So, I've been walking off and on for a couple of years now, and can go out and walk 3 or 4 miles+ without any trouble. In fact, a year and a half ago, I just went out one day and walked almost 12.5 miles. But the running is new to me. Over the past 6 or 7 weeks I have been stumbling through the C25K, and I say stumbling because I've been making my way to the 5k distance, but I have been inconsistent in my schedule with it at times, and then I would jump up in distance on the next run, so that I'm "back on schedule". Well, this weekend, I ran my own 5k, at about an 11 (or so) minute mile. I admit the last 1/2 mile I had to push, but I made it, and the best part is that I did not feel sore the next day. (A little achy that night though - to be expected.) Muscle soreness had been one of my biggest issues.

Now I see how quickly I've made it to being able to run this distance, and let me tell you, 6 weeks ago, running 3 miles seemed absolutely ridiculous. But I've done it now, and am about to go out and run another 3 miles.

So on to my big decision. Normal sane thinking would lead me to believe I should run the 1/2 this January and then plan for the full in 2010. The half is currently full, but I could go through Anthony Travel. I feel pretty confident that I can be more than ready to go for the 1/2. The problem is that it is more than 7 months away still and I feel like I could be ready for it by September. And I think that perhaps could be why I struggled with consistency with C25K, because it is so far off.

On the other hand, when I think about the full marathon, I feel more excitement and fear about it...enough fear to where if I think about myself trying to tackle 26.2, it makes me want to have my butt out there training as often as my body will allow.

I realize that I am an overambitious new runner (not sure I even call myself a runner yet - let me get a few more 3 milers under my belt), and that I am perhaps thinking unrealistically, but what are your thoughts? I guess I'm wondering who all has found themselves in a somewhat similar situation, and wanting to hear from those who've made it all the way, so that you can set me straight!

Thanks for listening and any input/advice is greatly appreciated!

Brian,

Let me be the first to :welcome: you to the WISH boards.

Let me start off by telling you that

1) You are not crazy!

2) You are already a runner! 3.1 miles + a desire to run a marathon certainly qualifies you to call yourself that!

As for your other questions, I can't really speak from experience. However, you will find a number of folks on this board who went from where you are to the Disney full in about the time you are contemplating. If that motivates you, I would suggest going for it! For me, looking at doing the full next January fills me with dread, not excitement - so I signed up for the half myself! But everyone is different.

I suggest picking up a copy of John Bingham's Marathoning for Mortals. I would also suggest finding some local 5Ks to get some race experience, and perhaps also finding a half you could do in the fall (since you think you will be ready for that by September). If you're in the Northeast there are a bunch of us doing the Philadelphia Distance Run in September - a fun half marathon on a pretty flat course. There are lots of other good options as well.

Have fun and let us know what you decide!

First of all--congrats on your new hobby! It seems you are committed to continuing and that is awesome.:thumbsup2

If I were you I would do the half first and then the full later. Probably because this is what I did and I felt it was a very natural progression (but still an insane amount of work even with a slow build up!).

I know it is exciting to think about going straight for the full and technically, it can be done. But IMO you are also risking injury and more importantly, burnout by building up too quickly.

I second reading Marathoning for Mortals!!

Good luck in whatever you choose:goodvibes

Not sure where you are located or if you have your heart set on WDW in January, but I thought I'd chime in and remind you that you could always do the Disneyland 1/2 over Labor Day weekend!!!

Welcome. I can only tell you what I did, not what you should do. Originally I was going to run the half, but thought that what the heck, if I was going to train that much, might as well run the full. I too had the fear and excitement. Not sure I would have had that with the half. I actually signed up before I ran my first 5K. But, I had about 6 months of running under my belt. So by marathon time I had about 18 months of running. Not a lot of miles, but I was out there pounding the pavement. Once I signed up, I raced a few 5K's, a 10K and a 13K before the marathon.

Now, it's up to you, but most plans recommend a year of running before you tackle a marathon. That's just to get the feet, ankles knees, etc. used to the pounding. I wouldn't want to see you get hurt but you have to do what you think is right.

I can't tell you what to do, you know what is best for you. You'll get lots of advice from some of the folks that really know what they are talking about. Listen to them.

enjoy,
Duane

Probably not the answer you'd like to hear, but I would try to get into the half vs the full for this January. I don't know much about your situation or how ready you really are, but if it were me, I'd wait.

I say this now. I wouldn't have said this the year I did my first marathon. Looking back, I too should have waited longer. I ended up making it through training and finishing the marathon, but I also battled some nagging knee and achilles tendon injuries that I had to work very hard to overcome. I spent about a month doing no running at all and a ton of pool running (which is the absolute most horrible workout in the world IMO) to recover from injuries.

A marathon really does take its toll on your body. The reason most experts agree that you should have at least a year of running under your belt before starting to train for a marathon is because of the muscle and bone density build-up required to take the pounding of all those miles in training.

I'm sure you could do the full marathon. I have no doubt that if you pick a good training plan and consistently stick to it, you'll get through the race. But there is A LOT to learn about long distances. Looking back, I wish I had taken the time to experience everything along the way. I felt like I pushed so hard to get to that first marathon that I didn't get to focus on things like proper recovery, mental toughness (although that will come with long distance training runs), proper fueling, hydration, etc. Things like that you will learn over time, and the more excited you get about distance running, the more you'll want to learn.

Anyway, just my two cents. Take it for what it's worth (about two cents, I'm guessing :) ). Hope this helps and good luck with you decision. Know that whatever you decide, there is a great team here to encourage you through it all. Congrats on taking the steps to make the big decision!

Steve

My brain says you should wait. My guts says go for it. Dh and I went from 0 to full in 10 months. We had both run ebfore, but not fo rover 15 years. However, we started with a walk.run, moved to a run/walk, and tehn went to full run, with the thoguht that we could add walk (more walk) at any time when thing sgot too tough. We made teh full run, but I think using this method would be great for you. There's nothing wrong with adding walk intervals, in fact, it typically increses your speed,as odd as that sounds.

BTW, if you haven't already been told, amd I thinkMikeS should have told you but just in case, I highly recommend Marathonign fo Mortals by John The Penguin Bingham. (SO do many on teis board). It is a great book for info and inspiration adn has training plans in teh back. DH and I used teh first 8 weeks of w/r the half, tehn went into the first 8 weeks of r/w the half, then run the half (8 weeks) and finally teh run the full plan. You don't have time for all of that, but it sounds like you are much further along than we wre iwhen we started. IIRC, we started the run teh half program in early July with a 2 mile long run.

A word of warning, you will have to be incredibly dedicated to make teh jump from on and off, to training for a full. Be prepared to never be the same too. ;)

First I want to say thank you all for your encouragement and advice! I actually did pick up a copy of Marathoning for Mortals, and it is excellent. I have since read more of it, and also I sat down and talked it over with the wife. And considering as I write I'm sitting here with sore shins, my head has prevailed over my heart in this case, and I've decided to go for the Half for 2009 & tackle the Full in 2010. My wife reminded me to not underestimate 13.1 miles, especially considering how much running have been doing previously (none). Also one thing I'm learning is that a big part of the discipline of becoming a runner is learning to be patient. I definitely don't want to set myself up for injury.

Well, thank you all again, and now I know what I'm training for! I may go ahead and register for the ToT 13K as well, as kind of an intermediate step on my way to the 1/2.

Thanks again - I'm sure I'll spending more time on this board in the coming months!

Brian - COnsidereing the sore shins, you made teh right decision. Ramping up too fast is the number one way to end up injured. Your wife is right. 13.1 miles is adistance to be reckoned with. Also, we did a full before a half. When we did our first half, it lost the glory that it could have had. Sounds like you have a great plan. Plus, you are guaranteed WDW trips in 09 adn 2010!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter