Deciding Between DCL or other Cruise Lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Disney's plans for the future don't seem to be in the direction of the cruise market. They are the best in the parks business, but with only two new ships coming for the next 5 - 10 years doesn't tell me they are really aggreesive in the cruise industry.

2. Disney does mostly their own products. Dreamworks is not an RCI product but contracted. I am not sure Disney is the best in every thing they put out. Clearly the Dreamworks contract will put RCI over the top, along with their new ships, in the cruise industry. I am sure that contract is complex and costly. My point was that Disny is so much self-produce orientated that they don't have to negotiate with outside companies for service. They can be arrogant, I have no problem with that, with who they deal with and they probably are. I am not sure they have such a large audience for the cruise industry.

3. Just Carnival and RCL will have built over 10 ships between 2000 and 2015. Not sure what the other cruise lines are building. Between 2000 and 2010 the two cruise lines have launched approximately 10 new ships, not counting the other lines. In the same period of time Disney will have launched 2 new ships with no plans for any after that. RCL has two other ships, which I know of, that will be launched before 2015 and I don't know about CarnivaL. Celebrity and NCL also have ships in the building process. To me clearly, Disney plans to play for its small audience in the cruise world. Of course the load factor is way up on DCL because they only have 2 small and older ships cruising and the demand for a cruising vacation is so high. Disney does have its audience and it is the younger children with its characters. However they only draw less than 2% of the cruise market. I really don't care what the media says about the ships. That is all talk and print. The real factor, in business, is what cruise line is selling cruises. The higher percentage, Carnival 52% and RCI 48% are approximate figures, will usually point to the most progessive of that particular field.

4. I would think if RCL and Carnival are building ships and their revenues are remaining steady that is a good thing. If revenues start dropping and you are building that may be a bad sign. DCL ships are not indestructable. They suffer from wear and will eventually be worn out like all the other ships. There are many reports on the DISB's about strange smells in the rooms. The Magic and the Wonder have shown signs of wear in some of their break downs over the past years.

No, I have no advise on how to stop booking DCL cruises on or off the ship. I love to cruise and like someone similiarly said, any cruise is better than sitting home doing dishes, cleaing house or working. I booked a cruise aboard the ship also and another one on line for next year. I have a third cruise in mind if it happens. An Elvis cruise, I had a good time on the last cruise.

Give yourself an awesome experience and go for one of the biggest ships. Either Port Canaveral or Fort Lauderdale.

Dursin, someone last week wrote me and said you worked for Disney. Is that true?

I agree any cruise is better then sitting at home, heck any vacation is better then that.:goodvibes

I'm giving myself a awesome experience I'm going on a Back-2-Back Dream cruise out of Port Canaveral and I'm very very very excited:cool1::goodvibes:thumbsup2

Dursin,

Can't help you out on the reason, but I would assume that it was a Disb. Learker, someone who reads the posts more than they post, friend of mine who was trying to point out the direction you come from. I know most of them but didn't recognize the one who wrote the PM.

Disney can't compete with an Elvis cruise, once a year, but in the same light an Elvis cruise couldn't compete with Disney on a weekly basis. It was a real good cruise, though.

I look at the overall ammenities on each ship and what we get for the money. If I am paying for the ammenities than I expect to get the same size cabin and things to do on the ship. And that's just not what happens when we go from Royal Caribbean Freedom class to Disney ships. We get so much more on RCI which is why we keep going back to them.

The Disney Wonder...

117.jpg

The Independence of the Seas H20 Zone

050.jpg

240.jpg

And when my kids are at the club and I get a few minutes to myself, where do I get to relax?

The Disney Adult Only Area -- not bad...

186.jpg

The Royal Caribbean Freedom Class Solariums -- heaven on Earth...

056.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

Our Cat 6 on Disney, it was a verandah with split bathroom which was nice. It served its purpose.

045.jpg

Our Junior Suite {pictured below} with full bath on RCI Independence was half the cost of Disney Magic. This isn't even a true suite (we had a Grand Suite, not pictured here, on Freedom and it was the exact cost of our Disney Magic Cat 6)

065.jpg

066.jpg

080.jpg

free ice cream on RCI

sprinkles.jpg

free pizza, desserts, salads and specialty breads on RCI at Sorrento's

sorrentoscopy.jpg

free mini golf on RCI
110.jpg

free rock wall on RCI
322.jpg

free ice skating
310.jpg

Adventure Ocean kids are taken to Johnny Rockets for their Kid Dinner at least 2 nights each cruise at no charge (sometimes as many as 3 times)

332.jpg

Main Dining Room

IMG_0750.jpg

You're taking one small picture of the Goofy Pool and comparing it to the H2O zone on RCI. Conveniently you leave out the water slide which is one of my sons favorite things to do on the Magic/Wonder. That said, as much as we like DCL, the Carnival Waterworks is better than anything we've seen on any other ship. It's like having a mini-water park on deck. Will have to see how the AquaDuck compares.

Nobody in our family cares about climbing a fake rock wall or ice skating on board and while the Carnival cruise we've been on had the mini-golf, nobody really bothered with that either.

The big giant multi-level dining rooms don't compare with the rotational dining on DCL either. We enjoy the change of scenery each night.

Well, the above post convinced me why I speak good vibes about the Freedom. Nothing was mentioned about the food and the entertainment which is a step above what DCL can offer for most adults.

You see that staircase in background? That is where they line up all the children in the kids club and have them to sing to the diners. It is very impressive and especially if you have children of your own in it. With this elegance you don't need to move to different dining areas.

Well, the above post convinced me why I speak good vibes about the Freedom. Nothing was mentioned about the food and the entertainment which is a step above what DCL can offer for most adults.

You see that staircase in background? That is where they line up all the children in the kids club and have them to sing to the diners. It is very impressive and especially if you have children of your own in it. With this elegance you don't need to move to different dining areas.
Many people prefer the different dining areas...and also prefer the entertainment offered on DCL. We'll see if RCL steps it up at all when they start doing some Dreamworks themed shows.

if we are talking about entertainment I guess I better start looking into going on princess they have this one act that I've seen on DCL that I just love, but this act will be on Princess in 2011. I actually looked into Princess, but with 3 DCL cruises I don't want to give up, can't cruise princess

I'm sure RCCL would love to shove cheap burgers and fries down the kids throats every night!

Talk about cheap.

I know my kids will love having choice of menu and one of them would eat tenderloin every meal if I let him.

I'm sure RCCL would love to shove cheap burgers and fries down the kids throats every night!

Talk about cheap.

I know my kids will love having choice of menu and one of them would eat tenderloin every meal if I let him.
I think DCL takes the kids to Animator's Palate for lunch everyday. Not sure where they go for dinner as our kids always dine with us.

Don't get the attraction of having kids line up on a staircase and sing at dinner time. Could be cute...guess I'd have to see it.

Anyway, the one line in this thread that says the most is:

"Our Junior Suite {pictured below} with full bath on RCI Independence was half the cost of Disney Magic"

Everywhere in life, you get what you pay for. You don't get a Ferrari for the price of a Chevy, you don't get a nice house for the price of a double-wide, you don't get the same quality shopping at Walmart that you would at at fine department store, you don't get the same dining experience at McDonald's that you do at a nice steakhouse, et.c... Funny that some people put all this effort into trying to convince others that cruising is the one and only exception to that rule. If the other lines were just as good, they'd be able to pull in the same $$$ that DCL does.

It's unfortunate that there are folks who simply can't understand the good intentions of others and prefer to argue for the sake of argument, even when their facts are embarrassingly inaccurate. I'll just say this 1 last time - facts and opinions are not the same, and those who can't decipher the difference should truly refrain from making themselves look even more ignorant while pursuing a fruitless venture. :sad2:

To those who are so bent on knocking Disney Cruises (whether you have your facts straight or not) - why, one must ask, would you linger for sooooo long in a forum designated for past/current/future Disney cruisers? Is it because you have absolutely nothing better to do than to destroy the good intentions of others? Why not 1) start your own "I hate Disney Cruise" forum/post/thread 2) go to a Carnival/HAL/RCI/NCL/Princess cruise forum and post your own positive review of their cruises? Or, 3) If you simply can't help but say negative things about Disney, then go to an open cruise review repository, like www.cruisecritic.com and post your "I hate Disney" reviews there? :confused3 If the answer is "I must set the world straight," take comfort in knowing that those who spend the time reviewing this forum will also spend the time reviewing other forums in order to the get the information they seek to meet their individual preferences. I promise you your negative efforts will not be lost by posting on another forum. :thumbsup2

Frankly, life is too short. With this, I will sign off on this thread and hope that the original purpose of this post will benefit those whom I had intended. :hippie:

Happy arguing! :lmao:

Than why don't you go on an RCL and see if his disagreements are valid. You say there is a RCL close by you, but there is an RCL right beside the DCL every Sunday morning. Transportation doesn't cost you any different whether you go on DCL or RCL when you travel to Orlando.

Could it be that you are afraid to go on RCL because he might be right, or than again you might be able to disagree with him because you were right. I see you have cruised a lot but only on the DCL. It is almost like going with the same boy friend or girl friend too many years. Life gets dull and unhappy.

Well. maybe dull for some, but others have long and wonderful life's together. Personally, I am enjoying the latter. And what does this have anything to do with enjoyment on a cruise ship.

One other note, there are those of us who have sailed on both, and preferred DCL over RCCL, and so far, have not seen where that has made much of a difference in the opinion of a few others here!

Well, you have your opinion and I have mine! :banana:

I look at the overall ammenities on each ship and what we get for the money. If I am paying for the ammenities than I expect to get the same size cabin and things to do on the ship. And that's just not what happens when we go from Royal Caribbean Freedom class to Disney ships. We get so much more on RCI which is why we keep going back to them.

Removed the pictures as there are a number of them and there already obviously posted.

If that is the ship you prefer, then more power to ya. I will not try and convince you otherwise. For us, we enjoyed DCL more. We felt as if we got more out of DCL! Nuf said.

By the way, I have yet to see a picture posted here where there is anybody actually playing in the H2O zone. The DCL pool looks pretty busy to me.

No, I have no advise on how to stop booking DCL cruises on or off the ship. I love to cruise and like someone similiarly said, any cruise is better than sitting home doing dishes, cleaing house or working. I booked a cruise aboard the ship also and another one on line for next year. I have a third cruise in mind if it happens. An Elvis cruise, I had a good time on the last cruise.

Give yourself an awesome experience and go for one of the biggest ships. Either Port Canaveral or Fort Lauderdale.

Dursin, someone last week wrote me and said you worked for Disney. Is that true?

a

Disney's line-up of amenities is based on their marketing and the room they have available to provide the amenities. The ships are small and old compared to modern day ships. DCL marketing involves their own products as marketing agreements with Disney can get very complex. When it comes to outside participants Disney is not the best to deal with. I think Disney's market draw is based mostly on past performance and preference rather than future plans. DCL doesn't look like it is going to be able to keep up with the cruise market trends. Between 2000 and 2015, DCL would have built two new ships compared to the cruising market which will have over twenty new ships cruising.

Disney does have an up-charge dining room as well as most the other ships. The dining rooms do have some very luxurious dining for those who enjoy that.

What does this have anything do to with what cruise line I go on. I do not think DCL ever set out originally to be the biggest.

That is probably why you are still happily married or is she just a girl friend of 21 years. I don't recall mentioning anyone that is married.

I know people that have been together for a long time and have never been married.

1. Disney's plans for the future don't seem to be in the direction of the cruise market. They are the best in the parks business, but with only two new ships coming for the next 5 - 10 years doesn't tell me they are really aggreesive in the cruise industry.

2. Disney does mostly their own products. Dreamworks is not an RCI product but contracted. I am not sure Disney is the best in every thing they put out. Clearly the Dreamworks contract will put RCI over the top, along with their new ships, in the cruise industry. I am sure that contract is complex and costly. My point was that Disny is so much self-produce orientated that they don't have to negotiate with outside companies for service. They can be arrogant, I have no problem with that, with who they deal with and they probably are. I am not sure they have such a large audience for the cruise industry.

3. Just Carnival and RCL will have built over 10 ships between 2000 and 2015. Not sure what the other cruise lines are building. Between 2000 and 2010 the two cruise lines have launched approximately 10 new ships, not counting the other lines. In the same period of time Disney will have launched 2 new ships with no plans for any after that. RCL has two other ships, which I know of, that will be launched before 2015 and I don't know about CarnivaL. Celebrity and NCL also have ships in the building process. To me clearly, Disney plans to play for its small audience in the cruise world. Of course the load factor is way up on DCL because they only have 2 small and older ships cruising and the demand for a cruising vacation is so high. Disney does have its audience and it is the younger children with its characters. However they only draw less than 2% of the cruise market. I really don't care what the media says about the ships. That is all talk and print. The real factor, in business, is what cruise line is selling cruises. The higher percentage, Carnival 52% and RCI 48% are approximate figures, will usually point to the most progessive of that particular field.

4. I would think if RCL and Carnival are building ships and their revenues are remaining steady that is a good thing. If revenues start dropping and you are building that may be a bad sign. DCL ships are not indestructable. They suffer from wear and will eventually be worn out like all the other ships. There are many reports on the DISB's about strange smells in the rooms. The Magic and the Wonder have shown signs of wear in some of their break downs over the past years.

Again, where has DCL ever said that they wanted to be the largest cruise line out there. There business plan was to keep it small and they seem to be following it. Where does any of this come into play for my decision on what cruise line I want to go on!

Wow...how can DCL even compete with an ELVIS cruise?!?!?

No, I don't work for Disney and never have. Wouldn't mind working there though someday if the right opportunity came up.

Somehow, I have a feeling you just made up the part about someone writing you and saying I did. Can't think of any reason why anyone would say that.

I agree, sounds odd to me too.

It's unfortunate that there are folks who simply can't understand the good intentions of others and prefer to argue for the sake of argument, even when their facts are embarrassingly inaccurate. I'll just say this 1 last time - facts and opinions are not the same, and those who can't decipher the difference should truly refrain from making themselves look even more ignorant while pursuing a fruitless venture. :sad2:

To those who are so bent on knocking Disney Cruises (whether you have your facts straight or not) - why, one must ask, would you linger for sooooo long in a forum designated for past/current/future Disney cruisers? Is it because you have absolutely nothing better to do than to destroy the good intentions of others? Why not 1) start your own "I hate Disney Cruise" forum/post/thread 2) go to a Carnival/HAL/RCI/NCL/Princess cruise forum and post your own positive review of their cruises? Or, 3) If you simply can't help but say negative things about Disney, then go to an open cruise review repository, like www.cruisecritic.com and post your "I hate Disney" reviews there? :confused3 If the answer is "I must set the world straight," take comfort in knowing that those who spend the time reviewing this forum will also spend the time reviewing other forums in order to the get the information they seek to meet their individual preferences. I promise you your negative efforts will not be lost by posting on another forum. :thumbsup2

Frankly, life is too short. With this, I will sign off on this thread and hope that the original purpose of this post will benefit those whom I had intended. :hippie:

Happy arguing! :lmao:

Great post and points! I still like your OP and agree with the conclusions. I knew others on here wouldn't. But in my opinion, some like Pepsi and others Coke. Same with Bud vs Coors, White wine vs Red, Canon vs Nikon, Ford vs Chevy and the lists go on. I don't see why some don't seem to understand some like DCL, others another cruise line. No big deal IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter