Deciding between BLT and AKV for resale purchase

We have stayed at BLT twice over the past two years and have another 4 day stay this summer. While we like the proximity to MK, there is not much else we like about the place. The decor is fine, although a little bland for us. The pool is just okay. Getting to the other parks is about at painful as bussing from any of the other resorts; and that includes Epcot (which in our experience is about a 40-45 minute commitment by monorail). We don't spend much time dining around the monorail resorts, so that proximity is not important to us.

I agree, BLT location is unbeatable for MK, but for traveling to every other park (including EP), I would rather stay at almost any other DVC resort. I would not mind owning some points at BLT for staying a couple of nights while we visit MK, but for a longer stay I would prefer AKV over BLT. I do think BLT is more difficult to book at 7 months than AKV, though, unless you want AKV value or concierge. Now that our kids are older, we don't spend as much time as we used to at MK.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

So, would you say if we own at BLT but want to stay at AKV we have a better shot at the 7 mark than owning at AKV and trying to stay at BLT at 7 month mark? Like I said, most likely will be travelling peak weeks. Trying to figure out which scenario gives us more options. I do already have a sense of the cost differences.

AKV savanna or standard view is open at 7 months out most of the year with risk of not getting it Thanksgiving time, first half of Dec and possibly Christmas time (about Dec 23-Jan 3). BLT lake and theme park view is difficult at 7 months out during those same periods and also from end of Sep to mid-Nov, and also potentially from the Wed to Mon of Marathon weekend in Jan. During about mid-Jan to end of Sep, AKV savanna and standard view and BLT lake and even theme park view are usually open at 7 months out. Thus, if you are looking at the entire year, it will be easier more often to get AKV at 7 months out than BLT. Particularly during that mid-Jan to end of Sep time, AKV is also far more likely to be open well beyond the 7 month window, whereas BLT tends to go quicker once the 7 month window opens.

Thanks all. We decided on BLT for a few reasons. First, I think it will be very desirable to rent out if we ever decide to do that (which we will certainly do now and then). Second, It seems like, overall, we have a better shot at AKV at 7 months than BLT. The lower maintenance fees were also a consideration. Finally, the location next to MK is desirable for our group. I do hope to have opportunities to stay at both in the future.

We just got an accepted offer and are waiting on paperwork.

Thanks all. We decided on BLT for a few reasons. First, I think it will be very desirable to rent out if we ever decide to do that (which we will certainly do now and then). Second, It seems like, overall, we have a better shot at AKV at 7 months than BLT. The lower maintenance fees were also a consideration. Finally, the location next to MK is desirable for our group. I do hope to have opportunities to stay at both in the future.

Good for you!!!! If the contract passes you will FOR SURE have many opportunities to stay at both resorts - all the resorts for that matter! I cannot wait to say I have stayed at all, Congrats :cheer2:

Congratulations!! For as much as we love AKV, I was also going to recommend BLT for you. I have noticed that it's much easier to get AKV after the 7 month mark.

Welcome Home! (almost) :cheer2:

Congrats you made the right choice. BLT is more valuable than AKV. You can almost always get AKV beyond the 7 month window, less likely at BLT. Plus you can watch the wishes fireworks from your room.

Congrats on choosing BLT... as long as you're happy, there's no wrong choice.

I saw that a number of replies indicated that AKV dues are higher than BLT which is true in theory but may be slightly misleading in practice.

The points required to stay at AKV tend to be much lower than BLT, especially if you take value accommodations into account.

For example, 2 bedroom villa at BLT during Magic Season requires 354 pts for a standard view whereas a value 2 bedroom at AKV during Magic Season requires 243 points. BLT's dues at 4.4972 per point gives a cost to stay at $1,592.01 whereas AKV's cost to stay (albeit in value accommodations) are $1,379.00. In other words, you can get away with buying less points and therefore less overall in MFs at AKV than at BLT if you can stay in the value suites. Also, the initial buy-in for AKV is much lower than BLT.

Just wanted to throw my $0.02 in. That said, there is a ton of inherent value in location and convenience so as long as you're happy, you made the right decision.

Congrats! :yay:

Sorry that I didn't post earlier.

We own 5 resorts, BLT & AKV included. Many people looking to rent don't want to pay for the higher number of points at BLT. BLT has had 2 years of 6%+ dues increases and it has a higher than normal furnishing and hard goods wear.

I would stay at the proposed resorts before buying. The longer that you are owners, the more time that you will spend in your room and at the resort. That makes buying at your favorite resort even more important.

:earsboy: Bill

BLT for sure if you are worried about resale or being able to rent out points.

We liked AKL and AKV well enough but would not choose to spend a vacation there after DD gets a little older. If you have a child that loves animals it's a great resort (also as every other resort it will have some that consider it a favorite) but all in all BLT wins hands down for location.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter