December weather.. so confused

the little marla

you're not getting cold fins now? are ya!
so we are driving down tomorrow! :cool1: the weather for next week is showing in the 70's and 80's.. i havent been down in december in years, so are we talking HOT HOT or is the humidity low enough where i can still wear jeans? i'm just trying to see if i need to go and dig out shorts to pack or if i can get away with jeans etc. for the week! any insight would help! thanks!

so we are driving down tomorrow! :cool1: the weather for next week is showing in the 70's and 80's.. i havent been down in december in years, so are we talking HOT HOT or is the humidity low enough where i can still wear jeans? i'm just trying to see if i need to go and dig out shorts to pack or if i can get away with jeans etc. for the week! any insight would help! thanks!

Humidity can stay high even when it's cold.

Regardless of humidity, being in, say, jeans during the day when it's sunny will be very warm indeed!

I generally don't trust a forecast more than 48hrs out but the general trend for the next several days is low to mid 80s and plenty of sunshine.

Here now and today I had to resort to the 1 pair of shorts I brought because it is already hot and humid.

We just got back from 10 days and the forecast seems to be the same as when we were there. We're from the north so we may have a different opinion, but it was still warm and humid to us. I wore capris every day and night. I did bring jeans but never wore them. During the day, we wore t-shirts and only a few of the nights I wore a lightweight hoodie when we went out. I saw a lot of people in long sleeved shirts and jeans and I was warm just looking at them!

I posted something within my thread about packing, you can find it here: http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=48996051&postcount=2

To summarize -

I've been keeping up with the weather down there, and it's been around around 70-80.

I usually only pack one or two pairs of shorts. Honestly, even with temps in the 70s, I usually wear jeans and a t-shirt.

A solid indicator is the sun and temp (obviously, but hear me out..) In December, I've come to realize that the sun and temp decide how cold it is at night. I've been to Disney when it dropped down to the low-40s at night, and I've been to Disney when it's been high 60s and gorgeous.
- If it does not hit 70 during the day, or only hits 70 at 1pm then starts dropping down, it's going to be a cold night. -- especially if it's cloudy outside.

I usually pack for "Spring" or "mid-Fall", then pack additional layers for extreme weather. In NY, Spring and Mid-fall are right in line with December weather in Florida. It could be nice and warm most of the time, and you could be comfortable in jeans/shorts and a t-shirt/thin long sleeve shirt. But, sometimes it does get pretty cold. So along with my normal jeans, long sleeve collared shirts, and thin long sleeve shirts, I pack for:

Slightly colder:
- a Sweater or fleece to wear over the shirt
- A hoodie

Colder:
- a coat (I wear down when I fly)
- Sweatpants
- thermal shirt
- gloves
- scarf
- sock hat

If it's a little chilly, I'll layer a shirt with a fleece or hoodie. If it's pretty cold (50's) I'll go with the coat. If it's very cold, I'll layer the hoodie with the coat or even the thermal and gloves and a scarf. Good luck!

Regardless of humidity, being in, say, jeans during the day when it's sunny will be very warm indeed!

I generally don't trust a forecast more than 48hrs out but the general trend for the next several days is low to mid 80s and plenty of sunshine.

I have been in WDW two seperate last weeks of Feb on band trips and on the first one most kids did (like mine) did not bring shorts and where dieing from the heat. The second it was cold and in the 40's but with the sun didn't wear what I would have normally worn up north.

80's in Florida is not like 80's in the north. The sun is just hotter because its going through less atmosphere.

Oh and I'm in the same boat as you and at first told my sons to bring a pair of shorts now I'm going to tell them to bring mostly shorts. We may not need the light sweatshirts I just bought this last week end.

We just got back from 10 days and the forecast seems to be the same as when we were there. We're from the north so we may have a different opinion, but it was still warm and humid to us. I wore capris every day and night. I did bring jeans but never wore them. During the day, we wore t-shirts and only a few of the nights I wore a lightweight hoodie when we went out. I saw a lot of people in long sleeved shirts and jeans and I was warm just looking at them!

Where you're from and acclimated to makes a big difference. Those of us from south Texas can wear jeans and long sleeves into the mid 80s without breaking a sweat. We're also grabbing a light jacket for upper 60s as that is wintery to us.

As others have noted, December weather is fickle. We've gone several times in December. What has worked best for me is to check the weather forecast a day or two before I leave. I know that it won't accurately forecast whether it will rain or not five days from then or anything like that, but it will usually give you a good read on the general temperature trend for the next several days, which is usually pretty reliable. At least that way, you'll know whether to pack more sweatshirts or tee shirts.

Yes the weather is very fickle. Have been here a week. The first night or two were very chilly and breezy at night - if I had a scarf and hat I would have worn them. Then the last few days have been extremely warm even at night - tshirt and shorts weather.

Here now and my kids are swimming, I'm in lightweight skirt and short sleeves sweating and getting a suntan! It is around 80. I am fairly cold natured and it is hot! As for this week, it has been cool enough for jeans until about 8-9 am and after 8-9 pm. Most of the day you definitely need shorts and short sleeves!

Honestly I'm here now and it's warm. We didn't even put our sweatshirts on last night for illuminations

Hoping for warmth and 80's during Xmas week, but not betting on it. Still have plans for BB and TL. LOL

Hoping for warmth and 80's during Xmas week, but not betting on it. Still have plans for BB and TL. LOL

You and me both. If there's one thing I want on this trip, its warm weather. I'll even give up my fastpasses for some.

Where you're from and acclimated to makes a big difference. Those of us from south Texas can wear jeans and long sleeves into the mid 80s without breaking a sweat. We're also grabbing a light jacket for upper 60s as that is wintery to us.

Indeed... 60s sounds like a dream to me right now here in Niagara Falls! LOL. OP - didn't catch where you're from, but maybe take my advice if you're north of the mason-dixon line, and Q-man's advise if you're south of it :rotfl:

thanks for all your replies! i'm from NJ so right now we are having colder weather.. even though this past week has been slightly warmer.. still winter coat weather. i'm gonna bring some shorts and pants to be on the safe side and play it day by day! and i try not to listen to the weather especially when it comes to FL but i just figured i needed some kind of insight as far as clothing! :thumbsup2

We are here now and the weather is hot. Low to mid 80's during the day. High 60's to low 70's at night. We went to Hollywood Studios and it was hot And crowded. Did our 3 fast passes in a row. Star Tours, Rock and Roll Coaster and Tower of Terror. All were fun. Did a bit of shopping---a Mickey apron, shot glass and 2 picture frames. Used our 20% off coupon for eating at Flame Tree BBQ yesterday. Ate at 50's Prime Time which we both loved. We headed back to POFQ and used the pool which was very refreshing along with a Piña Colavva for me and a Hurricane for my husband. Then a nap and shower before heading back to Hollywood for DISpalooza tonight.

I'm still having trouble wrapping my mind around what to pack. We leave Friday so I'll throw the shorts and capris and t-shirts in, and maybe 2 pairs of pants and sweatshirts per person?:confused3. My real concern is that things can change on a moments notice and while it may be in the 80's when we get there it could be in the 40's by the end of the 10 days. I think I will just have to bring a bit of everything and plan to do laundry. The good news is we're flying with Southwest and have 2 bags per person free. The bad news is we only own one suitcase and one carry on each:rolleyes:. I'll see if I can borrow luggage from my mom or my sister.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter