• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

December weather in the evenings?

DSNY4ever

I am going to keep hunting
Okay I didn't want to send this into the podcast because I am sure they have answered it before, but what are the December evenings like in Orlando? I have heard that the days can still be fairly warm/pleasant, but does it cool down in the evenings, would we need sweaters or jackets?

*** We might get to go this December, but it is still up in the air :yay: :banana: :yay: Just had to share my excitement, I am crossing my fingers that it works out!!!!

Oh thanks, I didn't know that was there, good suggestion. I am paranoid so I would probably drag a sweater around the whole time anyway just in case- weather seems to be so unpredictable there.

We did an early December trip in 2006. Some nights were crisp and others were nearly balmy with a good bit of humidity. The night of our MVMCP, we couldn't wear out "matching" sweatshirts because it was warmish with high humidity. We go to the trouble of creating matching sweatshirts and we couldn't even wear them... that's my luck! :rotfl:

Okay I didn't want to send this into the podcast because I am sure they have answered it before, but what are the December evenings like in Orlando? I have heard that the days can still be fairly warm/pleasant, but does it cool down in the evenings, would we need sweaters or jackets?

*** We might get to go this December, but it is still up in the air :yay: :banana: :yay: Just had to share my excitement, I am crossing my fingers that it works out!!!!

Decembers can be all over the map. I've seen times where the evenings were still in the upper 60s and then just a few days later we were in the 40s. Definitely bring a sweatshirt or jacket. One of our favorite things to do on cold (40s/50s) evenings is to walk DTD and watch all the tourists. How can we spot them? They're the ones in T-shirts and shorts, with their arms crossed, trying to keep warm because they didn't think they'd need a sweatshirt (heck, it's Florida, why do I need a sweatshirt!!).

Armand

December can be warm and cold.

We have experienced warm days and mild nights, but that can change on a dime. It has also been days with highs of 50 and lows in the upper 30s.

I would pack fall type clothes and wear a jacket on the plane. :thumbsup2

One of our favorite things to do on cold (40s/50s) evenings is to walk DTD and watch all the tourists. How can we spot them? They're the ones in T-shirts and shorts, with their arms crossed, trying to keep warm because they didn't think they'd need a sweatshirt (heck, it's Florida, why do I need a sweatshirt!!).

Haha, this is what we do in San Francisco, all the tourists think "this is California, it will be hot!" And then we watch them all shivering in their tank tops and shorts...and then they venture over to buy the "I survived Alcatraz" sweatshirts :laughing: The worst is when you see them trying to walk across the golden gate bridge and they are fighting the wind and fog.

Thanks for the tips though guys...it sounds like I would need to pack my whole wardrobe just in case ;) I have only been in the Spring and Fall when, yes, I was dripping with sweat the whole time.

When I was at WDW in December 2006, it was colder in Florida (mid 40s) than it was back home in Pittsburgh (low 60s). The key is layers. I had about 4 total on that day. And a hat and mittens. I think what makes it feel colder is the humidity. I will be heading back this December (fingers crossed, I don't go on strike) and I will be paying close attention to the weather websites and bring layers.

Kim

When went in 2004 (early December) and I was SO prepared. We had jackets, jeans, mittens for the kids and those packets of hand warmer thingies. We were going to MVMCP and we all had matching Disney Christmas sweatshirts to wear. And let me tell you........it was HOT!!!!!!! No kidding it was 90 everyday we were there (not complaining) and it only went down to 75 or so at night. We about died at MVMCP in our sweatshirts, I had to buy a t-shirt or I never would have made it through the party. It was very lucky, but I still can't believe it. The very next day after we left it dropped to 65 during the day and upper 40's at night. You just never know in December, but definitely bring something warm.

As others have said, December (and January) WX is highly variable. We have pictures from one December visit where we are wearing shorts/t-shirts on one day and a couple of days later wearing everything we brought just to stay warm.

The key to comfortable touring in December is to bring layers. Typically some combination of polo/sweatshirt/windbreaker will be right for whatever WX you encounter.

We've been in Dec. & Jan. many times. I'm from Indiana and easily get cold. That being said, I bring my Columbia jacket, gloves, & the beloved Mickey/Santa hat.

Especially while waiting for the evening shows (Wishes, Illuminations, & Fantasmic!), I'm known to put on all of it. (The metal/alumnum benches at Fantasmic are especially chilly.) My mom and I have the photos to prove it! We will either come back in the evening packing the stuff in Disney bags or store them in the locker for the day. Layers are definitely the way to go. I've even brought & worn long underwear (primarily the top - lightweight from Target, not those thick cotton ones) in the past!

The fastest way to warm up? Get one of those Mickey/Santa hats! Yikes - my temperature spikes with that thing; I was sweating in about 20 minutes!

Trust me - there are too things you don't want me to be: cold or hungry!
Gayle

My family and I are going in early December and I think I have pretty much decided to bring all types of clothing.. swimsuit, shorts, teeshirts, jeans, and a cardigan/sweater.. maybe even a sweatshirt. (of course, if I don't then I can buy one while I"m there! woohoo! :thumbsup2 ).

I remember when my sister and I took a christmas trip to disney a few years back and I had to buy an animal kingdom (in ANIMAL KINGDOM! THE HOTTEST PARK EVER!) sweatshirt because I was soooo cold and this was in the afternoon.

I'm really hoping for warm or mild temps this year.. especially since I now live in the North and I'd love to get away from the snow and the cold.. but you never can tell!

The weather in FL really is eratic in December. I did my CP in the fall, which included December. We had days that we could swim in Dec. (over 80), but there were other days that we needed a heavy coat (around 40). I would really watch the forecast right before you go to help you prepare so you don't have to bring your entire wardrobe. Although, you will stil probably need a variety of shorts, jeans, tshirts, and jackets. You might just be able to bring your swimsuit, as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter