December Trip odds?

dl0015

Mouseketeer
Had to cancel our May trip which really disappointed the wife and kids...I am considering planning an early surprise December trip that not even my wife will know about...What are the odds that things will be business as usual then?

Literally no one knows. No one knew what their opening plan would be a week ago, let alone what they’ll do six months from now.

This is just my speculation - but I feel that there will still be some restrictions in place. I think the 6 foot rule and the hand sanitizer stations are here to stay for quite some time if not permanent. Masks in December, maybe, especially since that is cold and flu season in much of the US.

Al lot will depend on how reopening each state goes. If things stay flat or start to reduce I think we'll see things slowly change back in some areas ( like the masks ).

I too currently have a trip booked and planned for early December. I'm hoping that the later portion of the year may develop into a "sweet spot" in terms of when to go. For me, they'd have to lift the mask mandate and all forms of entertainment have to be back in use. I have no problem if they want me to stay 6ft apart or if they want me to wash my hands before/after getting off every attraction. But I have to feel somewhat of "normalcy" since Disney is our escape from the real world. I'm not banking on it however and booked another reservation for May 2021 should all or the majority of restrictions stay in place. My personal deadline to make a decision will be Mid September, by then enough would have transpired to make a more educated decision.

No one knows.... it could fade and December might be a great time to go or a second wave could hit and it could be a terrible time. I think booking a surprise trip might be a good idea but don't tell anyone so if you need to cancel it, no one ends up sad about it.

As I have been following school openings and schedules.. they are planning for covid round two in Dec-Jan.
Even with no closures i would be worried,
I guess you can make the plans when you can and because no one would know you would not have to let them down again.

What are the odds that things will be business as usual then?

You are at least 12 months out from being "usual" right now. We might not even have FP+ back by December and if anything Thanksgiving-New Years is going to require a uptick in restrictions from what normally would be the case.

If you "require" your trip to be where you go to any park you want, see full restaurants, are able to reserve FP+, and have no masks then you should not be planning anything until 2022 just to avoid being disappointed.

I am hopeful that by January we will have FP+ back to be able to use.

Given all the uncertainty, if our early August trip doesn't pan out (which we still may cancel, depending on what reservations we can get, and what attractions they close) there is no way I am making plans for the winter. My worry is that either the Disney parks restrictions will be the same, or the restrictions be looser but a second wave will make it worse to travel then, and more crowded to boot from everyone rescheduling.

Sidebar: I know you didn't ask for marriage advice, but unless you 100% know your wife's feelings about booking travel during a possible COVID-19 resurgence--don't keep this a surprise from her. Even if you guys have tested positive for antibodies and/or are comfortable from a risk standpoint, you still may have to worry about a second round of closures, airline flight cancellations (or bankruptcies), state-imposed quarantines. It's really anything goes at this point.

I might just cancel closer to Dec. Depends how things are going with new restrictions. It’s hard to justify spending the same money or even more that I have in the past for a lot less now. No parades, fireworks, fast pass, etc.

No crystal ball here. We have a Christmas week reservation at CSR and am more concerned about a second wave. Don't want to get stuck away from home in case of a quarantine or travel industry interruption. Haven't purchased airfare yet. Usually have it by now. Really want to go but won't if all the restrictions are still in place. That is a busy week in normal times. Can't imagine how they would control the holiday crowds with all the restrictions being put into place.

Just no way to know. It's probably a good idea to keep it a secret until it gets closer to those dates.

Given all the uncertainty, if our early August trip doesn't pan out (which we still may cancel, depending on what reservations we can get, and what attractions they close) there is no way I am making plans for the winter. My worry is that either the Disney parks restrictions will be the same, or the restrictions be looser but a second wave will make it worse to travel then, and more crowded to boot from everyone rescheduling.

Sidebar: I know you didn't ask for marriage advice, but unless you 100% know your wife's feelings about booking travel during a possible COVID-19 resurgence--don't keep this a surprise from her. Even if you guys have tested positive for antibodies and/or are comfortable from a risk standpoint, you still may have to worry about a second round of closures, airline flight cancellations (or bankruptcies), state-imposed quarantines. It's really anything goes at this point.

I will be watching the virus very closely. As far as surprising her, she won't mind at all and I will be a hero! lol

We moved our early May trip to December when they officially cancelled our arrival date. At the time (back in early April), it seemed like December was a safe bet. However as the possible opening dates pushed later and later, I got more and more worried about December. Once they finally announced the opening dates and the new restrictions, and they extended the expiration date on our December tickets to 9/26/21, I started thinking seriously about the possibility that our December trip might need to be moved. We're planners, so no FP+ and (presumably) no park hopping severely limits how efficiently we can tour the parks. There are also some missing experiences which are dealbreakers for us. Obviously things could change in the next few months, so we don't plan on cancelling right now, but if they haven't removed the park reservation requirement, or reinstated FP+, shows, experiences, etc. by our 60-day window in October, then we plan to reschedule again to May 2021.

We have a mid-December trip booked and unless the parks are closed again we will be going. DS walks in his college graduation in December and we are leaving the next day for 6 nights at HRH & UO. I have a backup reservation for 10 nights at UO/WDW if something happens and his college does not have a ceremony. I don't want him to be sitting at home sad that he missed his graduation ceremony, so we'll extend our trip and be doing something fun that day. We've decided we'll follow whatever protocols are in place at that time. His twin sister got a 11 night Southern Caribbean cruise for her graduation, so I will move heaven and earth to make his just as special!

Last edited:
I have a couple of nights booked in early December. Even though I already have my flights/dvc/ cruise booked & paid for, I’m fully anticipating that I’ll be cancelling this whole vacation. There are so many unknowns that really make it so difficult to make concrete plans for me and my family. I just don’t think I’d be comfortable going for the next while.

Good luck deciding on what to do!

We have December reservations but everything is refundable including airfare on Southwest booked with points. Waiting and seeing. I have no problem with masks and I like capacity limits as long as I'm able to get park reservations. Never been to Disney during a pandemic.

My guess is that some restrictions will still be in place in December. They may be less, or maybe not if numbers are spiking again for cold and flu season. I would think next spring or summer will be a time we start to see a full return to normal. But if there is a successful vaccine by December (which I doubt), then maybe December will be normal.

Had to cancel our May trip which really disappointed the wife and kids...I am considering planning an early surprise December trip that not even my wife will know about...What are the odds that things will be business as usual then?

The odds are zero. To answer your question...as long as there is even one case of the virus Disney will not be back to normal I am guessing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter