December Travelers...Hoodies&Jackets or Winter Coats?

I went to college in Tampa 1989-1991 and would be there till mid December before coming home to MA for break. I don't remember it ever getting THAT cold. I do remember seeing people wear earmuffs and heavy coats and getting a chuckle but I don't think I ever brought my New England winter coat with me to school.

All I keep reading lately is how cold it is and how 40 there feels so much colder than 40 up north. I guess we'll just pack a little of everything. I really don't want to bring our down parkas though. I think we'll bring fleeces and hoodies and gloves. Here it was 25 when we went to the bus stop this morning and my oldest had her coat unzipped and no gloves. I had my coat and and gloves on. By afternoon it was in the 40s and the kids were playing outside all afternoon (half day of school today) with just unzipped coats, no gloves or hats.

I guess we'll just pack it all!

Allyson

DW and I dress in layers. If the sun is out, the weather is nice. WHen it goes down - you will definitely need a sweatshirt.

You wont need the winter gear, IMO

I have to wear my regular winter jacket to the airport here, so that is always with me on my Dec trips. I do take a hoodie and sweat shirts along also. It can be very cold.

We leave in 10 days. I'm bringing long sleeved T's, a denim jacket, a light "polar fleece" type jacket, and a warmer jacket with a zip-out lining. Also scarf, gloves, and fleece ear band thing (I don't like hats). I am bringing the same sort of stuff for DS10, and he does have a hat. I am also bringing heat wraps for my back because it gets very stiff in the cold. Sam's has a big box of hand warmers for less than $14 so I might have to go get those, too. I'm debating about some silk long underwear - depends on the forecast for our MVMCP night. I brought some for our trip in Jan. '05 but I didn't wear them. DS has outgrown his so I need to address that as well.

I am always FREEZING, so I am thinking it might be an uncomfortable 4 days for me if I am unprepared!

I vote for hoodies and jackets.

We visited Dec 19 - 26th a few years back and it was only chilly out when the sun was down.

We leave in 10 days and I'm trying to decide the very same thing. I am watching the weather there everyday to try and make some kind of good judgement, but I think I'm just going to pack a little of everything. We've been there twice before in December and the weather was beautiful both times. Even in the evenings, but you never know from what I'm hearing.

Do you have a 3 in 1 coat? That's what I wore down in January. On warm days , I just wore the outer (very light) jacket part. At night, on 2 of the nights, I needed the polar fleece inner jacket. Plus the outer jacket was reasonably rainproof, so that was helpful too.

We never do our heavy winter coats on our FL trips. We just layer a sweatshirt, hoodie, and light jacket for the trip to/from the airport here in Minneapolis, and wear whichever layers of those we need to be comfortable in WDW. (We usually end up buying a couple of new sweatshirts there too...)

From my prior trips to WDW (all of which were during warmer months), I know that a lot of the attractions are inside attraction. This is especially true of MGM and Epcot, not so much so for Animal Kingdom. But, I am assuming all of those buildings are heated in the winter. I know that they are air conditioned in the summer. Most of the outside attractions involve water or going around and around really fast. If it's really cold enough outside for heavy winter coats, I can't imagine anyone actually doing those things. If this is true, are the coats really necessary unless you are planning to do the parades, fireworks, fantasmic, etc.

We are going in January, (have never been before), but because the parks close early in January, I keep wondering if its worth taking warmer Jackets as we will mostly be back at the resort for the nights. I don't plan on doing EMH. Very confused I am about the packing. :confused3 :confused3 :confused3

We were down there last Dec 9th-18th and almost froze all week. We wore coats, scarves, gloves, and hats. I went back two weeks later with my GD and warned her about how cold me and her GGM had been. Because it had been warm when I took her down there Jan '05 she didn't believe me. When I took her back Jan 2nd-8th she almost froze. We had been down there Jan '05 and wore shorts all week. With Florida you never know. I'll be there this Dec 9th-17th and plan on packing a little of everything.

I have a winter coat that is a two in one deal - a fleece jacket liner and a nylon shell, perfect for traveling. If it rains or is windy, I'll use the shell. If it get's chilly, I'll wear the fleece. If it gets really cold, I'll wear both!

I am officially packed for anything. I've got everything from shorts and bathing suits, from coats and gloves all packed and ready to go. I just need to get a roll of quarters and a small bottle of laundry soap so I can do a load of laundry.

disneygal33 said:
I am officially packed for anything. I've got everything from shorts and bathing suits, from coats and gloves all packed and ready to go. I just need to get a roll of quarters and a small bottle of laundry soap so I can do a load of laundry.
Try putting your laundry soap in the small snack size ziplocs, I find taking the powder stuff is a lot more safer in my suitcase..I just put a scoop in each bag and then I also throw some fabric sheets in the suitcase, it does double duty, making your clothes in your suitcase smell good and then use in the dryer.

Cold this last week. I like shorts and sweatshirt weather which is what you usually get but needed long pants and still cool.

When we went last year, it was sweatshirt weather some days and heavy coat weather others. Watch the forecast before you leave and have SO MUCH FUN!!! :dance3:

This week it was 60's for a high but i think some nights it got down into the 40's. I like shorts and sweatshirt weather. People from the North probably thought it was warm so many in shorts and I also people bundled up in coats and scarves even gloves. Cast members always seemed to be the first to get out there winter coats.

This is what the Long range forecast looks like for my stay.
So I'm packing a hoodie and a wind breaker that I can layer its still a long range so I'm hoping it goes a little warmer on the weekend low to mid 70's would work for me.

Thursday Nov 30 More Details Intervals of clouds and sunshine. Winds from the ESE at 10 mph.Realfeel®: 78 °F High: 80 °F

Thursday Night, Nov 30 More Details Partly cloudy. Winds from the SSW at 7 mph.Realfeel®: 57 °F Low: 60 °F

Friday, Dec 1 More Details Chance for a bit of morning rain or drizzle; otherwise, clouds breaking for some sun. Winds from the N at 16 mph.Realfeel®: 70 °F High: 74 °F

Friday Night, Dec 1 More Details Clear. Winds from the N at 15 mph.Realfeel®: 45 °F Low: 50 °F

Saturday, Dec 2 More Details Plenty of sunshine. Winds from the N at 15 mph.Realfeel®: 66 °F High: 69 °F

Saturday Night, Dec 2 More Details A moonlit sky. Winds from the N at 9 mph.Realfeel®: 46 °F Low: 49 °F

Sunday, Dec 3 More Details Sunny. Winds from the NE at 12 mph.Realfeel®: 66 °F High: 69 °F

Sunday Night, Dec 3 More Details A moonlit sky. Winds from the ENE at 8 mph.Realfeel®: 46 °F Low: 49 °F

Monday Dec 4 More Details Sunshine and some clouds. Winds from the E at 10 mph.Realfeel®: 68 °F High: 70 °F

Monday Night, Dec 4 More Details Partly cloudy. Winds from the SE at 6 mph.Realfeel®: 50 °F Low: 50 °F

Tuesday, Dec 5 More Details Sun and some clouds. Winds from the SSW at 6 mph.Realfeel®: 72 °F High: 72 °F

Tuesday Night, Dec 5 More Details Patchy clouds. Winds from the NNE at 4 mph.Realfeel®: 53 °F Low: 53 °F

I come from the UK, today during the "warmest" part of the day it was 32 degrees.

So i'll be happy no matter what!

chyam said:
Try putting your laundry soap in the small snack size ziplocs, I find taking the powder stuff is a lot more safer in my suitcase..I just put a scoop in each bag and then I also throw some fabric sheets in the suitcase, it does double duty, making your clothes in your suitcase smell good and then use in the dryer.

Good idea, thanks :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter