December or March?

Iheartdopey10

Earning My Ears
I'm trying to decide between 12/25-12/30/14 or 3/6-3/11/15, and don't know which to pick. I already have flights, hotel and rental car for December, but of course I can change those (except I would end up with credit on Southwest since March cheaper) I haven't been to DL in over 18 years, but go at least annually to WDW, so I don't have my heart set on any specific time of year. I'm concerned more about crowds than anything else since I'm worried we won't get to do much during Christmas.

Thank you for any suggestions!

I'm trying to decide between 12/25-12/30/14 or 3/6-3/11/15, and don't know which to pick. I already have flights, hotel and rental car for December, but of course I can change those (except I would end up with credit on Southwest since March cheaper) I haven't been to DL in over 18 years, but go at least annually to WDW, so I don't have my heart set on any specific time of year. I'm concerned more about crowds than anything else since I'm worried we won't get to do much during Christmas.

I think the magic of the Disneyland Resort during the holidays out weighs the crowds. Is truly spectacular. Because its been 18 years, you haven't been to Disney's California Adventure which has really turned into a neat park. My vote is always Christmas. The decor and treats and vibes and holiday goodness are amazing. Having said that, if crowds are your primary concern, the week you've chosen in December happens to be the busiest week of the year. In march you may run into some early Dpring break crowds but not like you'll see the week of Christmas.

Where are you staying?

Since you are most concerned about crowds, over everything else, do not choose 12/25--12/30!!!!!!!!!

That week after Christmas Day is hideously crowded(yes, there are those who like/put up with that---to each his own)!

The March dates of 3/6---3/11 will be much less crowded---in fact, the two range of dates are nowhere comparable, in my opinion.

I would absolutely choose to go in March, before the Spring Break rush hits! You should be OK with the week you chosen---it will be busy(Spring Breakers arriving), but nothing like the December dates!

We visit the Parks every year during the week of Christmas---usually Dec. 19th through Dec. 26th. We refuse to be in the Parks any time after the 26th!

We also visit the Parks every year during the last week of February/first week of March, and it is a great time to visit! Yes, there are shorter Park hours then. Fireworks will only be on weekends. Fantasmic! might not be running(annual refurb), but World of Color, at DCA, runs nightly.

There are many who would not choose to visit during a time with shorter hours/less entertainment available, but for someone whose primary concern is large/gross crowds, I'd stay away from the Dec. dates you've narrowed it down to----just my opinion!:)

I agree with Cheshirecatty that if you're primary concern is crowds, then the December period you've selected is probably the busiest period of the year. If you wanted to see the holiday decor and have lower crowds (than Christmas week), I would consider moving the trip to early December. However, given the dates you've selected, early March is going to be better in terms of crowds. Based on the AP blockout calendar, it looks like DIsneyland expects "Spring Break" to be between 3/28 and 4/12, so if you go in early March you'll probably miss out on much of the spring break crowds. I do agree that you're likely have short park hours and reduced entertainment offerings, but that's the trade off for lower crowds.

I agree with Cheshirecatty that if you're primary concern is crowds, then the December period you've selected is probably the busiest period of the year. If you wanted to see the holiday decor and have lower crowds (than Christmas week), I would consider moving the trip to early December. However, given the dates you've selected, early March is going to be better in terms of crowds. Based on the AP blockout calendar, it looks like DIsneyland expects "Spring Break" to be between 3/28 and 4/12, so if you go in early March you'll probably miss out on much of the spring break crowds. I do agree that you're likely have short park hours and reduced entertainment offerings, but that's the trade off for lower crowds.

Totally agree. We've been to DLR around Christmas -- never again!

There have been points during the Christmas to New Years week they closed the turnstiles because the park reached max capacity. It's usually the busiest week of the year. In my book that's not simply "crowded" it's crowded to epic proportions. It sounds like holiday decor is not your first priority but crowds are. March all the way, even if it lands on some schools' Spring Break. There is so much detail work to see in DL and parts of DCA if you can slow down and look around, it would be sad to miss it because of crowd madness.

Last night I talked to my kids and they both said "we'd rather go to Florida" Well that's nice except I already have everything booked for California. I think I'll just change everything to March and if some really good flight/hotel/dining special comes out for FL then I'll consider moving.:furious:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter