December Anniversary PDR: Vegan Alert! Update 09/02

grrrlennyl

Mouseketeer
One of the most awesome (and sometimes most disappointing) part about my partner and my eating at WDW last year was the food. I figured it would be good to put down our plans, our expectations, and, eventually, our reviews here.

We have the DDP (after upgrading from free QSDP).

We'll start with the table service plans:

12/12/2012
Arrive at AoA after midnight. Sleep.

12/13/2012
Liberty Tree Tavern - Option #1, 1:40pm, MK, my choice. The quinoa patty sounds good and has gotten pretty great reviews. We're paying OOP for this.

Liberty Tree Tavern - Option #2, 2:45pm, MK. OOP.

12/14/2012
'Ohana - Option #1, Polynesian, 7:35am, repeat from 2011. I am a bit worried about getting there on time using the bus, but we'll see. I am SO looking forward to everything about this breakfast. Ideally, we'll be able to get over to MK in time for rope drop.

'Ohana - Option #2, Polynesian, 10:35am, repeat from 2011. If there are morning EMH, we'll do this one instead, after rope drop and maybe going on a ride or two.

Liberty Tree Tavern - Option #3, 12:50pm, MK. OOP.

Liberty Tree Tavern - Option #4, 2:50pm, MK. OOP.

Citricos, GF, 7:35pm, my choice. That banana chocolate torte is calling my name. We're just grabbing dessert here. Paying OOP.

12/15/2012
'Ohana - Option #3, Polynesian, 7:35am, repeat from 2011.

'Ohana - Option #4, Polynesian, 10:30am, repeat from 2011.

Le Cellier - Option #1, Epcot, 2:10pm, my choice. I have been thinking that I'd like to eventually eat at all of the restaurants in WDW. Since Le Cellier is going up to 2 credits in 2013, I figured I'd better try it now. Not sure what I'll get (the gnocchi might not be vegan and, even if it is, I might not want it), but it should be nice to get a chance to dine there. Plus, my partner loves steak, so this should be a good place for her.

Coral Reef
, Epcot, 7:35pm, my partner's choice. My expectations aren't particularly high for this, but the strudel does sound good and has gotten some good reviews. Good enough, in fact, for me to consider having it even though it has dairy.

12/16/2012
'Ohana - Option #5, Polynesian, 7:45am, repeat from 2011.

Le Cellier - Option #2, Epcot, 1:15pm, my choice. Another option for LC. I think we might end up taking this one instead of the one on the 15th.

12/17/2012
'Ohana - Option #5, Polynesian, 7:30am.

Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater - Option #1, HS, 1:55pm, repeat from 2011. This was one of our favorite meals during our last trip. I'm really looking forward to that veggie burger and sweet potato fries with a rootbeer float. Paying OOP.

The Wave - Option #1, CR, 7:50pm, joint choice. Change of plans: dessert only here! We'll be able to get to the beach at the Poly to watch Wishes after. This might also be the night we do the monorail bar crawl. Paying OOP.

12/18/2012
Tusker House, AK, 11:05am, my choice. I saw a review of this on DisBoards and the setting looked pretty amazing. Plus, there seems to be a ton of vegan options, even without having to hassle the chef for something special. Awesome. It also helps to have a place to eat at AK, since the QS selections pretty much suck for vegans.

Be Our Guest, MK, 5:15pm, joint choice! I'm so glad we were able to get reservations for this! The veggie option looks vegan and different, so it might be nice.

12/19/2012
Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater - Option #2, HS, 11:30am, repeat from 2011. Another Sci-Fi option. OOP.

Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater - Option #3, HS, 12:45pm, repeat from 2011. Yet another Sci-Fi option. OOP.

The Wave - Option #2, CR, 6:55pm, joint choice. Another option for The Wave. Wishes is this night, too. OOP.

12/20/2012
Cinderella's Royal Table, MK, 12:15pm, a surprise for my partner!

Here are the possibilities for Wednesday, 12/19:

1. Whispering Canyon at 4:55pm. Since AK has morning EMH, is only open until 5pm, and we don't do a whole lot there, I'm pretty sure we can leave AK and get here on time. After that, we'll have the option of either wandering around MK a bit or doing the monorail bar crawl. (The latter is more likely.) Either way, I think we'll end up at the beach at the Polynesian to watch Wishes and then head back to AoA.

2. The Wave at 6:55pm. We'd be able to either stay at AK until 5 or maybe run to Wilderness Lodge to look around (I've never been there.) before our ADR time. We'd probably opt for the bar crawl afterwards and then watch Wishes from the beach at the Poly.

CANCELLED 3. 'Ohana at 8:55. If we did this, we'd maybe check out Wilderness Lodge and then do the monorail bar crawl before our ADR. I know we could watch Wishes from here, but I also know that it might be crowded.

I am leaning heavily toward option #2, but we'll see.

D#1's BF is vegan and he had some wonderful meals last May. The chef at the Captain's Grill at the Yacht Club came out to talk with him before creating a special dish for him which he said was delicious. He also had wonderful meals at Chefs de France (dinner), Tusker House (lunch) and Boma (dinner). Sci Fi (lunch)was one of the most disappointing. Though the chef did come out to talk with him, he was not as accomodationg as the chefs at CG, TH & Boma. The chef at Boma, not wanting to be outdone by the chef at Captain's Grill made a special vegan soup fhim since there was none on the buffet. Boths chefa also walked him through the buffets pointing out all the vegan choices. They also ate at San Angel Inn the night we did Le Cellier. giving them an extra meal the day after the rest of us left for home, saving them $$ OOP.

Have a magical time. I hope your meals are as good as his were.

Have a magical time. I hope your meals are as good as his were.

Thanks so much!

I'm really excited to see that Tusker House was good, since that's a buffet.

I'm committed to having the veggie burger at Sci-Fi (and a shake or root beer float!), so I'm OK there, but thanks for the warning. I think 99% of having a good non-standard meal at WDW is who the chef is and how their day is going. I'm pretty much ready for that and probably won't be expecting something amazing and custom-made at every meal. Once would be nice, though!

Original Plan

12/13/2012
Arrive at AoA around 12:30pm. No ADRs. We'll probably eat lunch and dinner at MK and/or maybe the monorail resorts. MVMCP.

12/14/2012
Coral Reef, EPCOT, Fri 12/14 at 6:55pm. My expectations aren't particularly high for this, but the strudel does sound good and has gotten some good reviews. Good enough, in fact, for me to consider having it even though it has dairy.

12/15/2012
50s Prime-Time Cafe, HS, Sat 12/15 at 12:30pm. I heard an absolutely GLOWING review of this by someone who is vegan, so I am taking a chance on this one. I really don't want to have the spaghetti and "meatballs", so we'll see. I'm not looking forward to the hijinks.

12/16/2012
Sci-fi Drive-In Theater, HS, Sun 12/16 at 5:50pm. This was one of our favorite meals during our last trip. The veggie burger was really good, but I noticed that they don't have it for lunch. Hmm...

12/17/2012
'Ohana, Poly, Mon 12/17 at 7:30am. Our other favorite table-service meal from last year. I am SO looking forward to everything about this breakfast.
Be Our Guest, MK, Mon 12/17 at 7:30pm. I'm so glad we were able to get reservations for this! The veggie option looks vegan and different, so it might be nice.

12/18/2012
No ADRs. EPCOT early and then maybe park-hopping.

12/19/2012
Tusker House, AK, Wed 12/19 at 11:00am. This seemed to be a big hit with vegans, so we're trying it out.
***Dinner on this night is a whole other story, but I'll post about that later.***

12/20/2012
Liberty Tree Tavern, Thurs 12/20 at 11:30am. The quinoa patty sounds good and has gotten pretty great reviews.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter