December Air Fares

kryskay16

Earning My Ears
I'm traveling to Orlando from Chicago via Southwest with a party of twelve 12/16-12/21. I usually stand back and play the last minute deal game, but I'm concerned about the gamble because I've never flown at Christmas time. Would it be wise to purchase tickets soon or do you think they will sell out on the very few non-stop flights offered? It's killing me to have to pay the fares offered right now. Any inside scoop on traveling close to Christmas?

I book when ever I'm most comfortable with the price. Thankfully I booked my July trip on SW at the end of March, because the prices have been horrible since then for summer travel.

I flew SW 12/18/09-12/22/09 out of NH and got fares for $290 pp rt, booking on Nov. 11th, 2009. Not really that awesome. lol

I'm looking to go again in January and if I see anything for around $400 for two, I'm booking! :thumbsup2 January 2010 is around $486 for two on Delta right now, but I'm holding out.

I flew to Orlando on SWA on your exact dates last year. I booked on 9/4 and paid $279.50 RT, including taxes and fees. Price went down and I rebooked on 10/8 for $251. Price went down again and I rebooked on 10/28 for $237. I watched the fare after that and it steadily increased. Unfortunately, there's no way to predict what the trend will be this year. Good luck finding a good fare.

Booked AirTran from ROC to MCO back in April/May for $79 one way on 12/17. Watched for return flights, but nothing was coming down. Ended up booking JAX to ROC two weeks ago for $79 on 12/31.

Our original flight down that we paid $79 for is now over $280 one way. I am really glad I booked when I did.

I'm still waiting on my dates, too. 11/27-12/4.

But I'm in MN so I'm a captive audience.

Right now, my ideal flight schedule is $352pp roundtrip (including taxes). Ideally, I'd like it to be $250, but I'm thinking that as soon as it dumps below $300 I might have to grab it.

Luckily, the flights are fairly empty right now. And if I remember right, last year, there were some huge price drops for the week I want to go. I'll just have to be patient, which let me tell you, it is SO hard for me to not have this loose end tied up.

Mary

Not flying as late in December as you but figured I would share what just happened with my mom and dad. I bought tickets for DH and myself the day Southwest released them because I am paranoid and paid $169 each way. My mom just bought the tickets for her and dad yesterday and paid $214 one way and $169 the other, so in about 2 weeks the price for one flight jumped $45.

I would say if you can pay for the tickets now you probably should, especially with having to fly such a big group. Just my .02 though, good luck whichever way you go. :hippie:

We are going from Philly to Fort Myers, FL 12/22-12/28 over the Christmas Holiday.

Last year we paid about $240 in April 2009. This year I have been watching the fares and they were between $350-$400 and some of those flights were stopovers with a change of plane.

We booked with Southwest the day the fares were posted. I was thrilled to get $164 down and $118 return, $300 NON-STOP round-trip. I jumped on it. Since booking 2 weeks ago, the price went up $20.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter