December 2016 WDW PTR (aka Honeymoon pt: II)

Hi! I'm following along. Love your wedding picture with the ears!

Thank you. Ours were ordered from the Disney store. But we actually hand made mouse ear head bands for everyone in attendance. It was hard work, but in the end, everyone loved them. So it was worth it.

-----

An update on the attempting to get into Disney shape. Owww, owww, owww! It is really a reality check when the stretches that I used to do at the beginning of every football practice, becomes an exercise in futility. It just aint happening. But I'm getting better. And I gotta give a big thanks to BDLsgal. She's been helping me stretch out at the end of the day. Without her help, my body would implode on itself in a mass of painful cramps and spasms. With her help, I hope to get into a good enough shape that there won't be any implosions in Florida. On Thur, I take a huge step in that regard. I, a 6' 300+lb, 40+ yr old will be making my 1st attempt at Yoga. Hey, it worked for Tim Thomas. I'll let you know how it went.

Hi everyone. I know I promised you an update on me TRYING to do yoga a couple of weeks ago, but life got in the way and I wasn't able to attend a class until this past Tuesday. Now, before I start on how I did in the class, let me give a little background of my athleticism. First, like I said in the previous post, I am 6' and over 300 lbs. That being said, I have always been a fan of working out and sports. I played football from Pop Warner (no, my teams were never 1 of the ones making your Disney vacation a nightmare), through high school and college. I even played in indoor and outdoor flag leagues after that. I have had a gym membership since I was 15. I enjoy the occasional basketball shoot-around, even though I am not that good. I have studied Tae Kwon Do and I keep a fairly regimented schedule of walking/jogging. All of these athletic activities and the stretching and warming up that goes along with them.

All that being said, I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not ready for yoga. I can bench press 365 lbs yet I could not hold any of the poses without my arms shaking. I enjoy my cardio, but from minute 2, through the whole class, I could not stop sweating. And this was not "Hot Yoga." As for my coordination and balance... Let's just say, I made a new born deer look like Michael Flatley, Lord of the Dance. By the end of it I loved the workout that I got and felt really good. And I maintained that "runner's high" for most of the night. I showered, got in bed, and EVERY muscle from my ribs down, contracted and HURT!!!! Here it is 2 days later and my lower back and hamstrings are still tight and sore.

I can't wait to get back to class.

Following along! Hey, IT guy--I can't see the photos you have posted--fix it, please!

We will be at BOG around the same time on Dec. 15th with our two oldest (6 and 10) grandkids...small(ish) world!

I would like to encourage you with the yoga and stretching. My DH is a former college ball player (DLB) and big weight lifter all of his life and this has led to surgeries and lots of joint problems. He still works out but has had to cut back, now going more for reps and range of motion. Being able to squat 455 doesn't do you any good if you can't even fasten your own seat belt :scared:...we have both taken up boxing (not "fitness" boxing, either---boxing boxing!) and we enjoy the cardio of that. (I guess we "enjoy" it. We keep doing it, anyway.) So as two former jocks that are now grandparents, let me say that you are doing the absolute right thing in watching your diet and exercising with an eye to the long haul. Keep it up; you will be VERY glad in the decades to come!

Keep us posted on your progress! And two words: Epsom Salts. 8-)

Thanks for the encouraging word CaliTex. I'll get back to the Yoga once my back has stopped killing me.

In other news, I had a pretty chill weekend a couple of days ago. BDLsgal and I were going through the menus of all the places my mother-in-law and sister-in-law will be visiting during their Oct trip. Of course they will be grabbing food here and there at the Food &Wine fest. But they had some really good ADRs too. Can't wait to hear their 1st hand reviews of the places that we've never eaten before. Especially Yak & Yeti and BOG. But I really can't wait to hear about some of the more exotic foods. I would say 'adult beverages' too, but they are pretty much tea toddlers.

I'll let you guys know their reports when they get back.

Had a big weekend this past weekend. I'll start with Friday. My mother-in-law and sister-in-law were scheduled to fly out of Logan on Saturday morning. And, as I have mentioned before, I was the point person in their planning process. So it was up to me to constantly check the weather, the airport websites (Logan & MCO), WDW website and follow all of them on Twitter and check for any and every update. Some guy named MATT was raising havoc. It was tense for a while, but fortunately, WDW and MCO were open Saturday, and Logan and JetBlue had kept the original flight time. BUT... because of all the chaos, the airport suggested that everyone be there 2+ hrs before their departure. They flew out at 7:35am. So, I was planning on waking up at 5am and driving them in. But, stress loomed big, as the travelers looked at the Logan Airport website and didn't see their flight. So they woke me up at 3:30. I had to point out to them, that Logan only shows flights within 4 hrs. If they had waited another 5-10 min, I could've gotten a little more sleep. Such is life. So I grab the bags (give my unofficial < 50 lbs verdict) and bring them to the car. There was NO ONE on the Mass Pike. Not even people coming the other way coming home from after parties. Once we got to Logan, once again, no one was there. I was able to pull right up to the curb, and we took as long as we wanted to unload, without any Staties trying to get us out of the way. A few hugs later, and the in-laws were on their way.

After that, it was the return trip home, and hopefully an hour or 2 of more sleep. Ahhhhh. After my, nap, I had to get BDLsgal's help with something. This October will be our 1st anniversary AND her 40th. She had gone all out throwing me a surprise 40th. So I had to try to make her 40th/our 1st anniversary as amazing as possible. So, for the past few weeks, I'd been planning and plotting and scheming and researching for the best possible gift. And I think I came up with the perfect gift. BDLsgal is really into country music. Over the past year, we hadn't been able to as many concerts as she would like. What with the expense of getting married and construction on the home. So... I got an idea, and I laid as many deposits around as I could and booked things that offered refunds, but there was a purchase that I had to make that would not be able to get back, if this was something she couldn't do. So, while we are having our coffee...

"Hon, I need your help with something. I know June is the busy time of year for you at work (she's an office mgr. for a landscape & construction co.), but do you think you could get a few days off?" She said that she was pretty sure. Then I told her all the things that I just told you, and gave the big reveal to her. "Hon, I'm taking you to Nashville for CMA Fest weekend." The look on her face was totally worth the sneaking. So, as soon as she said that we could do it, I got us our 4-day passes to Nissan Stadium. So 6 mos after we go to Disney, we'll be heading to CMA Fest. Once everything was calmed down, we went about our business and took care of our errands and chores.

Sunday, we wake up early again. IT's FAST PASS+ DAY!!!! 7am, start up the laptop. 7:45am, all of the updates plied themselves and I was able to use the laptop. Login to MDE and boom! It's go time. I was pretty lucky. I got a lot of my 1st and/or 2nd choices without having to change any of my park days or dining reservations. Most days, I only booked 2 FP+'s, leaving the 3rd slot empty. But, I got the big ones that I wanted. 1st and foremost, got Illuminations FP+ on my CP night. Got, FP+'s for Frozen Ever After, Soarin' & Mission Space for EPCOT, Tower of Terror and Toy Story at MGM, Everest and Finding Nemo Musical for AK and 7 Dwarfs Mine Ride and Space Mtn for Magic Kingdom. Then I filled in a few slots so that we got the character meet n greets with photo ops at every park. I think it was a good get.

But now it's back to business... BDLsgal's aunt recently had a medical procedure done. And with her mom and sis in WDW, the workload fell to us. Since a lot of our time would be taken up post-work, we decided to prep our meals for the week, and in the process, we'll be able to Tupperware portions of those meals and bring them to her aunt's, so she won't have to do anything. So, 2 pasta dishes and a cassarole later, we were caught up. Just in time for me to head up to my Elks to see the return of Tom Brady. An amazing 1st half. But, I had to head home and actually work on the dinner that we were having on THAT night. Got home, put the game on the kitchen TV, made chicken scampi, ate and then took about a 45 min nap. After that, I sprung up, got into shower, put on my jammies and joined BDLsgal in bed to watch our 2 favorite fictional shows. 1st was a great episode of Once Upon A Time. After that was the even more fictional Presidential Debate. It made me laugh, it made me cry. If they don't get the Emmy this year for best creative writing, there is no justice.

A very busy, very full, but GREAT weekend.

The yoga update was great. Good job with the surprise for your wife! Your fastpasses are great.

Awesome update!

Let's just say, I made a new born deer look like Michael Flatley, Lord of the Dance. By the end of it I loved the workout that I got and felt really good. And I maintained that "runner's high" for most of the night. I showered, got in bed, and EVERY muscle from my ribs down, contracted and HURT!!!! Here it is 2 days later and my lower back and hamstrings are still tight and sore.

I can't wait to get back to class.[/QUOTE]

The Michael Flatley comment made me laugh! Good for you for giving it a try. Everyone who I know who does yoga seems to love it. I am enjoying the report, especially since I am also born and raised in the Boston area. I relocated to Tennessee about a year and a half ago. You made me want to fly home to go to Mike's for a cannoli or two!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter