December 2014 Car Rental Discount Watch

I can't use the passholder code either. And when I was a passholder the code stunk and was worse than the other codes I could find:rotfl:

My minivan through Alamo has dropped again (slightly - $5).
Dec 14, 11:30 to Dec 23, 4:00pm - Costco code (2 drivers) & coupon = $271.91

Question - I still have a full size car booked also. When I look at the reservation on-line, through my account, the price is a little different than what I had booked. I have the original email with the original price. Granted, it's now lower by less than $2, but this just seems strange to me.
I had another ressie that I just cancelled and it was showing a little lower, too. Has anyone ever had this happen before?

Just checked and our minivan price dropped another tiny bit. (Alamo)
Question - do you have to rebook at each drop or can you just modify existing to get new price. I know with National, I used to just modify, but it doesn't seem to work with Alamo. Anyone know?

Just checked and our minivan price dropped another tiny bit. (Alamo)
Question - do you have to rebook at each drop or can you just modify existing to get new price. I know with National, I used to just modify, but it doesn't seem to work with Alamo. Anyone know?
I usually book and cancel because I am cautious about car reservations.

12/13-12/20, 7 passenger (8 did not drop) mini-van with Southwest code (7013880) and $30 coupon (AD2338FDF) = $188 with tax/fees. :cool1:

im confused...do you need to be a passholder to use the code??? I am a member of Costco & southwest but that passholder code is soooo much better....

I have rented cars probably 20 times(most of those in Orlando)in the last 3 years. I have never been asked to prove anything. I use whichever code or discount gives me the best price. I wouldn't hesitate to use the passholder code.

I have rented cars probably 20 times(most of those in Orlando)in the last 3 years. I have never been asked to prove anything. I use whichever code or discount gives me the best price. I wouldn't hesitate to use the passholder code.

I feel that people pay a substantial amount of money for annual passes and if I didn't, then I'm not entitled to use the code. It's not worth saving $20 or $30 bucks to me and potentially having to show the card, nor would it sit well with me to use something I wasn't entitled to. There are plenty of other discounts out there I can use.

12/13-12/20, 7 passenger (8 did not drop) mini-van with Southwest code (7013880) and $30 coupon (AD2338FDF) = $188 with tax/fees. :cool1:

Thanks! You prompted me to check & using the pass holder discount & $30 coupon my price for my minivan dropped to $162.49 with taxes & fees! That's the best price I've seen for a minivan. I had it for $177 and didn't expect it to drop anymore. :)

I am so confused...I've never rented a car before because we've always used DME. However, this time we are flying in/out of TPA because we're squeezing in a last minute trip and flights with times we needed were sold out of MCO. So, we'll need to rent a car. Our dates are 12/19 (3:30) until 12/22 (4:00).

I have no idea where to start and what is a good rate. We are AP holders, Costco members, and RR members. I've tried to get a quote through Alamo, but I don't know which code to plug in which spot...coupon? Contract? Product code? :crazy2:

Is one company consistently less expensive than another?

Any guidance is appreciated.

I am so confused...I've never rented a car before because we've always used DME. However, this time we are flying in/out of TPA because we're squeezing in a last minute trip and flights with times we needed were sold out of MCO. So, we'll need to rent a car. Our dates are 12/19 (3:30) until 12/22 (4:00).

I have no idea where to start and what is a good rate. We are AP holders, Costco members, and RR members. I've tried to get a quote through Alamo, but I don't know which code to plug in which spot...coupon? Contract? Product code? :crazy2:

Is one company consistently less expensive than another?

Any guidance is appreciated.

I don't have any experience renting out of TPA, but...
For the Alamo website, the passholder rate will probably give you the best rate. Put 860292 in for the contract id. You can put AD2338FDF in for the coupon code, but I'm not certain if your rental is long enough. Don't put anything in for the product code.
The Costco code give an additional driver for "free", but gives me a slightly higher price than the passholder.

I've struggled for weeks to find a reasonable rate for 12/18 (7 a.m.) to 12/22 (7 p.m.). Today I'm coming up with 297 total on Alamo with either AP or SW codes. BUT, on Costco's website, I got $235 total ($174 base) for an econ from Budget. Beats the $189 special base rate from Dollar a couple of weeks ago. I prefer Alamo, though, so I'll keep looking....

Ariel-
If you are renting from TPA, try Budget discount code x474200 for a mini-van rental. You can combine it with a coupon (I have used a BJs code: MUGZ001). Hope this helps!

Well I made a decision and took myself out of the December car rental game. I discovered we had some points on our credit card and that I could use them to book a rental car. I fully expected the prices to be awful but they were good with Dollar AND they were in Canadian which saves me even more because once I pay exchange and credit card transaction fees in the States it really puts the price up.

The grand total was $187 for a 10 day Full-size rental and after I used the points we paid $120. So not too bad. My Alamo reservation was $176 but after I paid exchange and fees it would have been over $200 CAD and this way I got to use the points to bring the out of pocket cost down.
Would have preferred to use Alamo but we have used Dollar before without any problems.

Well I made a decision and took myself out of the December car rental game. I discovered we had some points on our credit card and that I could use them to book a rental car. I fully expected the prices to be awful but they were good with Dollar AND they were in Canadian which saves me even more because once I pay exchange and credit card transaction fees in the States it really puts the price up.

The grand total was $187 for a 10 day Full-size rental and after I used the points we paid $120. So not too bad. My Alamo reservation was $176 but after I paid exchange and fees it would have been over $200 CAD and this way I got to use the points to bring the out of pocket cost down.
Would have preferred to use Alamo but we have used Dollar before without any problems.

Nooooo...Say it ain't so Ms. P!!!
I'm so used to our yearly "Stalk the Rental Cars Deals" game! :flower3:

We are having to tweak our trip dates a bit, and pretty much all of those great prices I found back in June, July...etc....are gonna go to waste I'm afraid.
The current Christmas and New Years weeks rates are ridiculous now. :scared:

I too am out of the game. My DH has tons of Hertz points and we booked a car for just taxes for 2 weeks.

Nooooo...Say it ain't so Ms. P!!!
I'm so used to our yearly "Stalk the Rental Cars Deals" game! :flower3:

We are having to tweak our trip dates a bit, and pretty much all of those great prices I found back in June, July...etc....are gonna go to waste I'm afraid.
The current Christmas and New Years weeks rates are ridiculous now. :scared:
Hey! We can still play. I like helping others get good rates :thumbsup2 while grinding my teeth over great rates in the first 2 weeks of the month :headache:.

Totally agree with robinb!! I will still stay and help out:goodvibes. I like playing along and I bet we'll be able to help you find something buckeev!:)

What are your dates again so we can watch?

I just checked my Alamo Mid-size SUV for December 6-16 using the passholder and the $30 coupon and it dropped!

Was $348.17 and down to $306.54! :cool1: Still not a great rate, but I was late to the game this time and since I started booking around 10 days ago it has dropped from $375.

Good luck!

I just checked my Alamo Mid-size SUV for December 6-16 using the passholder and the $30 coupon and it dropped!

Was $348.17 and down to $306.54! :cool1: Still not a great rate, but I was late to the game this time and since I started booking around 10 days ago it has dropped from $375.

Good luck!

Awesome. Always feels good to see a price drop.
Did you happen to price a 7 passenger mini-van instead of the mid-size SUV? For my dates/times, the mini-van is considerably cheaper.

Awesome. Always feels good to see a price drop.
Did you happen to price a 7 passenger mini-van instead of the mid-size SUV? For my dates/times, the mini-van is considerably cheaper.

No I didn't. My mom has an ECV and we found it easiest to use the Mid Size SUV in order to carry it around.

I may take a look at what is on the aisle when I am there to see if those may work the next time.

Thanks!
Debbie

Ok... so that is a significant difference! I now have booked a 7 passenger van. I think with the fold down seats in back it should be fine.

Thank you!

Debbie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter