December 12 - 19, 2009 Western Magic

We decided to grab the FL resident rate and book our first Western! We've sailed on two Eastern (2004, 2007). The first cruise was the year we lost part of our house to a hurricane and then we cruised in September and had our trip interrupted by another hurricane.

We decided to avoid hurricane season and booked a December cruise in 2007. Wouldn't you know, there was a late season storm, Opal, that gave us 20-30 foot seas and gale force winds for two days. It was worse than the previous trip! :sad2:

We're praying there are no late storms this year, and are looking forward to beautiful weather the whole cruise! :woohoo:

Sailing with hubby and me are our two sons (18 and 15). Another reason we chose to cruise now -- our oldest is a senior, so this may be our last family trip for a while. Plus, we wanted him to be able to go to the Stack with his brother. They allow 18 year olds if they are still in high school :thumbsup2

I'm looking forward to "meeting" everyone on this thread. I've started reading back through it, so I can get an idea of other families with teens.

I can't believe we sail in 94 days! :cool2:

I am also heading up the Fish Extender gift exchange if you are intersted. I will need a little partying. I plan on taking advantage of the spa to. can't wait to meet you.

Badell would definitely be interested in participating in FEs.

I've been doing a lot of research for interesting things to do in KW, having lived in Coral Gables for 3-1/2 and done the sightseeing. Definitely will be going the Margueritaville but will also be scouting out some interesting food (not a Cheeseburger in Paradise). Read on one of the boards about a place to get stone crabs and shrimp. Will also stock up on some wine for the room. We'll be staying the second week at WDW and I'm a cappucino junkie. Cheaper to buy a $40 machine than to buy 2 of them each day for 14 days.

Planning to book the Rasul and one other massage plus spend lots of time hanging out in the spa. Wish I knew what port specials are being offered. I'll have to do some research on that. I was reading that some people doing the Rasul have been greeted afterwards with champagne and strawberries. That's never happened for us before but sign me up! :goodvibes

Ohhh...if you have recommendations for stone crabs, please share. My mom has watched the Food Network and has lusted after stone crabs since she saw a show about the Keys. She would love to have some.

I was given some advice by some people I know who work for Disney and have been on the cruises. They said to make sure we did the excursion that goes to the Mayan "ruins". They said that was a really good trip but to NOT eat the lunch that they give you. It's safer to NOT eat the sandwich than to eat it... from his experience and what he's seen. (Dunno...but I think I'll follow his advice.)

We're staying two nights before the cruise at CBR (am hoping to upgrade to a deluxe if the prices ever go down). I'm going to try to get the Candlelight Processional Dinner package on Saturday morning and tomorrow, my aim is to see if I can get the Fantasmic dinner package. LOL We're all about the food here.

Anyway, I have to still book our flights to and from Orlando. We're leaving for home right after the cruise and wonder if a 1:55 pm flight at MCO gives us enough time to get off the ship and have them bus us to the airport... it's an "international" flight so we have to be there about 2 hours early. Any advice?

Badell would definitely be interested in participating in FEs.

I've been doing a lot of research for interesting things to do in KW, having lived in Coral Gables for 3-1/2 and done the sightseeing. Definitely will be going the Margueritaville but will also be scouting out some interesting food (not a Cheeseburger in Paradise). Read on one of the boards about a place to get stone crabs and shrimp. Will also stock up on some wine for the room. We'll be staying the second week at WDW and I'm a cappucino junkie. Cheaper to buy a $40 machine than to buy 2 of them each day for 14 days.

Planning to book the Rasul and one other massage plus spend lots of time hanging out in the spa. Wish I knew what port specials are being offered. I'll have to do some research on that. I was reading that some people doing the Rasul have been greeted afterwards with champagne and strawberries. That's never happened for us before but sign me up! :goodvibes

I am also buying a cruise length rainforest pass. Maybe we can hook up. I am adding you to the FE list do you have a cabin number yet? don't tell my family but I am thinking about trying to book a Spa villa as soon as we board. The web site says they can not be booked online.

My husband went to Key West for a wedding back in 2006 and went on and on about the stone crabs and some of the other seafood selections there. He's hoping to grab a bite while we're there at one of the eateries he enjoyed.

Ohhh...if you have recommendations for stone crabs, please share. My mom has watched the Food Network and has lusted after stone crabs since she saw a show about the Keys. She would love to have some.

Just moved our reservation from the 12/11/10 Western to this one so it looks like we'll be coming along too! It'll be me, DH, DS5 (almost 6) and DD 3. We also have some friends coming along as well with their DD9. I think we've both booked Cat 12 GTY since the price was so good. (Our other 2 cruises have been in a Cat 3 HC and a Cat 1 so we could be in for quite a shock but times are tough, right?)

Anyway, we're scrambling to make plans at the moment but I look forward to figuring out who you all are over the next 90 or so days!

I was given some advice by some people I know who work for Disney and have been on the cruises. They said to make sure we did the excursion that goes to the Mayan "ruins". They said that was a really good trip but to NOT eat the lunch that they give you. It's safer to NOT eat the sandwich than to eat it... from his experience and what he's seen. (Dunno...but I think I'll follow his advice.)

We're staying two nights before the cruise at CBR (am hoping to upgrade to a deluxe if the prices ever go down). I'm going to try to get the Candlelight Processional Dinner package on Saturday morning and tomorrow, my aim is to see if I can get the Fantasmic dinner package. LOL We're all about the food here.

Anyway, I have to still book our flights to and from Orlando. We're leaving for home right after the cruise and wonder if a 1:55 pm flight at MCO gives us enough time to get off the ship and have them bus us to the airport... it's an "international" flight so we have to be there about 2 hours early. Any advice?

You will have plenty of time to get to the airport. All ashore time is 9:00, so you will be at the airport by around 10:00 if you are one of the last off of the ship. You will have time to relax before flying out, so no worries!

Laura

Got my shore excursions, Palo dining and Flounders reservations yesterday! Now to wait for a stateroom assignment from our GTY12!

May I ask, if I'm not prying too much, what excursions you chose?

This is my first cruise EVER so I'm a bit of a newbie at this...

No problem! I don't mind sharing. We have a 2 year old and 4 year old.
We booked the Cozumel Beach Break and the Island Tour and Butterfly Farm for all of us. There is a chance, though, that it'll just be me and my 4yo daughter for the Island Tour and Butterfly Farm. We'll decide that once we get onboard.

We wanted the Seven Mile Beach Break but it wasn't available any longer.

I am also buying a cruise length rainforest pass. Maybe we can hook up. I am adding you to the FE list do you have a cabin number yet? don't tell my family but I am thinking about trying to book a Spa villa as soon as we board. The web site says they can not be booked online.

cabin #7567 Pleeeeez don't make me so jealous about the spa villas.

My husband went to Key West for a wedding back in 2006 and went on and on about the stone crabs and some of the other seafood selections there. He's hoping to grab a bite while we're there at one of the eateries he enjoyed.

I found a recommendation for a market that'll cook 'em up along with some shrimp while you're buying wine. Hungry and thirsty yet?

Got my shore excursions, Palo dining and Flounders reservations yesterday! Now to wait for a stateroom assignment from our GTY12!

Just booked spa (rasul on 13th and hot stone on 16th), Palo brunch 17th, high tea 14th, and dinner 16th but no excursions for us. Just planning on the Marguaritaville tour of the Western Caribbean (self-guided with bevtoy and maybe others) and shopping for stone crabs, shrimp, wine, a capuccino machine and whatever else we decide to wing.

Looking forward to the wine, margarita, martini tasting and the rain forest in the spa. So much to do, so little time. And dancing calls. Must dance.

Who's requested or scheduled late dining?

I'd recommend that you check the earlier cruisers, other forums who have already sailed. I'd also recommend that you check the DISboards for our ports.

No problem! I don't mind sharing. We have a 2 year old and 4 year old.
We booked the Cozumel Beach Break and the Island Tour and Butterfly Farm for all of us. There is a chance, though, that it'll just be me and my 4yo daughter for the Island Tour and Butterfly Farm. We'll decide that once we get onboard.

We wanted the Seven Mile Beach Break but it wasn't available any longer.

Your excursions sound a lot like the ones we booked or were interested in! I think it's having kids in the same age group - we tend to stick to the beach excursions when we can. We booked the Cozumel Beach Break and wanted to do Seven Mile Beach but booked the Island Tour and Butterfly Farm excursion as a placeholder while we look at whether we're brave enough or not to do Seven Mile on our own. We also have the Key West Butterfly and Aquarium tour booked at 12:30pm, but will most likely cancel it and just do the town on our own.

I'm excited about doing my 1st cruise without a 2 yr old! (my youngest (DD) turns 3 two weeks before the cruise.) We've also booked Palo brunch at 10am on Sunday (the only brunch slot they had available!), Palo dinner tuesday night at 7pm, and High Tea Thursday at 3pm. Not sure if I'll be able to talk the hubbies into the High Tea (I've never done it) so if you end up doing High Tea at the same time we'd love to connect since it might just be the 2 girls (though I did reserve for the 4 of us at the moment.)

Hope everyone gets what they want tonight/today!

I also got my Palo ressie's, it will be our first time :banana:. Do they only let you have one reservation for each type of meal????

How did you get yours yesterday? Just curious :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter