Dec UY a good idea for me?

Wanna be Ariel

DIS Veteran
We are thinking of buying a small direct contract with Disney at the Poly (50points) They have the special where I will get last years points if I buy in. Our next vacation wont be til end of October of next year(2017) So will banking 2015 points and 2016 I would have 100 points to use for that trip. We typically like to go to Disney October/November/December, but would also do maybe do February or May. Any help would be great

First, I would just like to point out that they are not giving you last year's points. December UY is currently in the 2015 use year, so you are just getting the points for your current UY, 2015.

If you like to travel in October, November, and December, then I don't think that December is necessarily the best UY for you. Reservations made for October and November are well after the banking deadline of July 31, so points could potentially expire if you cancel reservations during those months. I have a December UY and we rarely travel in those months with DVC. We use one night in October for F&W but that's it.

It's a sales spiel - getting last years points. You are just getting current points.

For UY the benefit of getting one that you travel early in is it's a bit of free insurance against last minute cancellations. If you have to cancel it will give you the most amount of time to either use or rent those points if it was scheduled early in your UY vs late. For the times you mention having a Dec UY would be awful in that scenario for the Oct/Nov trips. You would be better with an Oct or even Sept.

I like to travel in December and March, for Christmas and Spring Training Baseball. So December is perfect for me. Because if I cancel a December or March trip two months out, I still have full use of the points and can bank them until July.

In your case, traveling in the fall, a December use year would be bad because if you cancelled a trip, you may be past the banking deadline in July, and would have to scramble to use the points by the end of November.

Wanted to "third" the fact that it's not a special. It's what you're supposed to get.

I don't know how it fits into your travel plans. But from the outside it seems to me that a December UY means 40 years of confusion from having the most complicated UY to comprehend.

Or at least a few years of confusion until it sinks in. :)

Okay thank you everyone for your help. I now understand this is no deal LOL. So for me mostly traveling in Oct/Nov and some trips in either Feb/May would October UY be the best for me?

Okay thank you everyone for your help. I now understand this is no deal LOL. So for me mostly traveling in Oct/Nov and some trips in either Feb/May would October UY be the best for me?

An Oct UY has a banking deadline of May 31st so cancellations of any of your trips would still happen prior to the banking deadline.

Just to add - the whole spiel of getting the extra points is kind of funny when you really understand. Resale is actually the way you can get a fully loaded contract with banked current and all future. Now if DVC throws up an offer where they include developers points you can more or less equal a better resale contract but the norm is just getting current points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter