Dec 7th - 16th Dining Reviews

LeesyUD

DIS Veteran
Let me start by saying we had a wonderful trip! My dbf (now my fiancé ;)) and I stayed our first night at Pop Century and the next 8 nights at Polynesian. There has been some talk that the dining plan has caused a decline in food and service at Disney restaurants. We did not find this at all. We were on the DDP and overall we had very positive dining experiences. Let me also say I come from and Italian family and we know and love our food so my standards are very high. We did unfortunately miss one of our character breakfasts bc we slept thru our wakeup call :(. Also we changed 2 ADR’s while down there which I will mention later. But first let me give a quick run down of where we ate followed by my reviews:

Table Service
LeCellier (dinner)
Kona (lunch)
O’hana (dinner twice)
Mama Melrose (FDP)
Cinderella’s Royal Table (dinner)
Coral Reef CP (dinner)
Alfredo’s (lunch)
California Grill (dinner)
O’hana (Character breakfast)

Counter Service (which will come a bit later)
Pop Century Food Court
Captain Cooks
Sunshine Season Food Court
Tusker House
Pizza Planet

And now the reviews (which are longer than I expected)

LeCellier dinner: A+
We used 2 TS credits
Service: We were told when we arrived that they were running 20 minutes past reservation times which was not a big deal at all to us. The hostesses were very nice and were even keeping guests entertained with trivia questions while we waited. Our waitress was very efficient, friendly, and helpful.
Appetizer: We both got the cheddar cheese soup: yummy yummy yummy! We both love this and would go to LeCellier just for that. We also love the pretzel bread.
Entrée: We both got the same entrée as well, filet mignon and cream cheese mashed potatoes: Again we both loved it! The filet mignon had a very light barbeque sauce which made the steak very tasty. Also it was so tender and we both agreed it was THE BEST STEAK WE EVER HAD!
Dessert: I got Blueberry Buckle which was very good. It was spongy like cake in the middle and crusty like pie around the edge. It is served warm with berry ice cream which tasted great together. My fiancé got the chocolate cake which he called “decadent”

Kona lunch: B
We paid OOP for this meal
Service: The service was very good here. The waitress was very helpful about the menu items.
Appetizer: Crab cakes: delicious but overpriced; you only get 3 mini crab cakes for about $10; each one was probably smaller than a small egg.
Entrée: I ordered the beef noodle bowl which the waitress warned me it was more like a steak soup. That sounded fine to me, though I was disappointed still when I ate it. It did not have as much beef flavor as I would have liked and kind of had a lime after taste that I didn’t care for. I eat a lot of Asian noodle bowls at home and thought it was ok.
My fiancé got the Island chicken sandwich which he really liked. I tasted it and it was very good. If I go back there I would get that. More than likely I would go back.

O’hana dinner: A+
We went twice here and used 2 TS each time for 2 of us. Both times we joined my mother and her friend who were staying at the Pop Century. It was so good the night we first went, even better than last year that we decided to try to get another ADR and cancel our meal for Jiko 3 nights later. We called Disney dining for 2 days to see if there were any cancellations which there were not. We decided to check with the concierge just on a whim and the guy there was very helpful and got us booked no problem. Since most tables are assigned as table of 4, he put us down as 3 people and told us to let them know at Ohana when we checked in it would just be 2. However, after talking with my mother and her friend they decided they wanted to join us if they could. So we went back to the concierge and they added another person no problem since it was already a table of 4 they changed it from a 3 person party to 4. We were very grateful. Anyway onto the review for both nights:
Service: The servers were very quick with bringing things out, almost too fast at some points but we just took our time and asked for more whenever we felt like it.
Breakdown by food item:
Wonton chips: They changed them from last year bc now they have a seasoning on them they didn’t before but were still very good.
Dipping sauces: We like them all. There was one that had a roasted pepper taste, the peanut sauce which was our favorite (awesome when you put on the turkey which was a tip from a bartender at the Tambu lounge) and then there was the pesto sauce which was also good but probably our least favorite of the 3.
Salad: Very good and we really liked the honey lime dressing. The salad was very fresh and crisp
Shrimp: the shrimp were even better than last time. They were piping hot when they came out. This is such a great food item there especially bc we had one vegetarian at the table so she was able to fill up on these.
Chicken wings: They were great. They had like sweet teriyaki sauce with sesame seeds on it and were very yummy. There also nice and hot when they brought them out.
Vegetables; Like the salad they tasted very fresh and were cooked very well. There were onions, peas in a pod, carrots and something else I cannot remember.
Potatoes, Potatoes, Potatoes: Oh how we love these scalloped potatoes! They are the best scalloped potatoes in the world. They also get an award for the most replenished item on the table as we requested quit a few additional servings.
The Meats: None of use really care for the type of sausage they served. We each tried a bite but pretty much passed. The rest of the meats were fantastic! Much better when we were there last year! They had more of that grilled flavor and better seasonings and were also very tender. The pork and steak were great and the turkey was outstanding. Again the turkey with the peanut sauce was so yummy!
Bread Pudding Dessert: again even better than last year! It had more flavor and seemed to be cooked better. Some of us left the bananas foster sauce off as we do not like bananas and it still tasted great! The second night was quit amusing though bc my mother is one of the people that does not like bananas. When one of the servers brought out the bread putting he started pouring the sauce on right away without saying anything. Well my mother without realizing yelled out an OH NO! ANd she actually scared the server at first. But everything was fine bc he brought I second one out for me and her to share.

Mama Melrose: B+
We used 2 TS credits
Service: Much better than last time we came. Last year we were there forever. This time the waiter was much more efficient though not the friendliest waiter in the world. He wasn’t rude or mean, just did not say a whole lot.
Appetizer: We split fried calamari which we thought was pretty good but we eat a lot of fried calamari around home at our favorite restaurants and it did not compare to those places. We also split bruschetta which was ok. The bread was kind of chewy, though overall it had a great flavor.
Entrée: The name on the menu of the entrée I ordered was Wood Grilled Chicken with Pipette Pasta, however even though I was on the dining plan they did let me select the option to have it with shrimp. I thought this was very tasty. I ate around the peas bc I do not like peas but the sauce was great. I thought it might be too heavy bc it was a cheese cream sauce but it was rather light so I really liked it. My fiancé got the Chicken Parmesan which he said was pretty tasty but there was nothing special about it. He felt it was something he could have gotten at any chain restaurant.
Dessert: We had the gelato which was very creamy and a refreshing end to the meal
The Fantasmic Dinner Package: We actually did not end up using our voucher for the vip seating unfortunately. Mainly bc it had been raining off and on that day. We really wanted to see the Osborne lights which we were going to do after Fantasmic but we were afraid we would get stuck in rain again and not be able to see the lights after. So we went right to see the lights after dinner. We were going to go home but decided very last minute to go see the second showing of Fantasmic. We got in right as it started and were able to get a seat on the left side of the amphitheatre. But we have done the package before and it definitely can work to your advantage when the crowds are a bit higher.

Cinderella’s Royal Table Dinner: Food: B ; Service: A+
We paid OOP for this meal
Service and Atmosphere: I had to give this one two different ratings bc I received a surprise marriage proposal while I we had dinner here. The service was great! I loved that they called me “Princess” and my now fiancé ;) “Sire”. They were really great on helping with the proposal. We had our appetizers and entrees first and then the waiter said they had a special dessert item that night and brought out the platter to show us. Only it was not dessert but a glass slipper with our names engraved on one side, happily ever after on the other and the date on the inside. And right inside was a white rose bud with the ring around. My fiancé got down on one knee and asked the question, I laughed then cried and said yes. The best part was since it was a special engagement package that my fiancé had chosen to do we had our own photopass photographer to capture the moment. Also they gave us the special table by the big window overlooking the carousel in fantasyland. The best part was that we were there during fireworks time which was also something they were trying to work around so the fireworks would go off after he proposed and our pics were taken. Well the waiter got a little behind with bringing out the ring so they held the fireworks up in the park for 5 minutes. So after we toasted we enjoyed the fireworks while they brought out our special engagement dessert. Around the plate they had will you marry me written in chocolate. It was great and so romantic! And now onto the meal:
Appetizer: I got the corn and crab soup which was very good. My fiancé ordered a salad which he said was very good but it was extremely small.
Entrée: I had salmon which was tasty but a bit dry. It came with rock shrimp risotto which I did not care for. My fiancé got tortellini which he thought was very good.

Coral Reef dinner: My fiancé and I disagree slightly on this one I give it an A he gives it a B+
We used 2 TS credits for my fiancé and I
Service: The waiter was very nice but it took a while to get refills on drinks. We had a great table in a section that was right across from the tank.
Appetizer: I had the lobster bisque which was very rich but very good. My fiancé had the seafood crab soufflé. I tasted it and agreed with him that it was very good. It had a sauce on top that tasted just like the bisque.
Entrée: He had the shrimp pasta which was an asian style dish. He said it was light which he liked and the dish was pretty good. I had the mahi mahi with wasabi mashed potatoes. I thought this was delicious. It had a soy glaze on it which brought out the flavor of the fish and the fish itself was very moist. My mother ordered the filet which she let me try. It was very tender and she said it tasted better once she added some salt and pepper. I thought the steak was good but not as good as the steak at LeCellier.
Dessert: I had the cheesecake for dessert which was great. It was a lighter cheesecake which I prefer and had walnuts and vanilla flavoring on top to add some extra flavor. Everyone else had the chocolate cake which they said was outstanding.
The Candlelight Processional Package: we got there a little later than we wanted to but were able to sit with the rest of our party. However I did not enjoy it as much as I would have liked too. None of the VIP seating was under cover like we were hoping it would be. It was raining at first and even though there were extra seats up front under covering right before it was about to start they would not let people move up. However they do let you move up to handicapped seating if that is open. My mother went up and grabbed a bench while we grabbed our things to join her on the bench. A man and his wife came up and she was leaning on the bench a bit and nicely let him know she was saving the seat for us as we were walking up and he pushed her and said she was not going to save those seats and they sat right down! None of us wanted to cause a scene like he so rudely but my mother did tell the guy that he was so rude he did not belong in Disney World. I was going to confront him after the show about pushing my mother but they left early. Which is a good thing for them bc I am a very nice person but no man should ever push a woman like that. The show itself was very nice but I was still fuming about that rude man so I did not enjoy it as much as I would have liked and even with a poncho I was all wet from the rain.

Alfredo’s lunch: A
We used 2 TS credits
Service: Our waiter was very nice and all our dishes came our in a timely manner.
Appetizer: We decided to split calamari and seafood bisque. The bisque was just ok. It had a bit of an after taste we did not like. The fried calamari was very good though.
Entrée: We both got the Tagliolini alla Vodka with Shrimp which we loved. I guess I would compare Tagliolini to a thinner linguine and it was cooked perfectly and had that home made pasta texture and taste which I love. It had a tomato cream vodka sauce on it which was delicious and just a little spicy. The shrimp were also cooked perfectly and were huge!
Dessert: I am not normally a moose person but I did order the raspberry moose which I though was good. My fiancé ordered surprise, surprise chocolate cake and he did of course like it.

California Grill: A
We used 4 TS credits
Service: Our waiter was great here! I was trying to decide between 2 menu items and he deterred me from the lamb saying a lot of people did not seem to be finishing their plate whenever they ordered that. So he was very helpful in that aspect.
Appetizer: California rolls: yes we each got one and we both finished it bc we love sushi! It some of the best sushi we have had bc they used dungeness crab rather than imitation crab.
Entrée: I got the filed mignon with potato and broccolini. The filet was delicious and had a light barbeque sauce on it. It was very tender though I like it medium and wished it was slightly pinker. However it is hard to decide whether the steak was better here or at LeCellier. The potato was great, it was almost looked like a slice of potato pie. The broccolini was great too bc it was cooked perfectly. My fiancé got a very interesting dish; It was atlantic black cod with a light duck broth and was served over a peking duck ravioli. I tasted this and the cod was outstanding the ravioli tasted more like a duck dumpling and had a lot of flavor. The two items went together very well.
Dessert: We both got the honey crumb cake which I did not really care for and he thought it was just ok. We both felt it was too sweet. Maybe it is just not our thing though.

Ohana Character Breakfast: B+
I am just going to give a brief review on this bc we were tired when we went and did not eat a whole lot. We paid OOP for this meal. The character interaction was great and we love the atmosphere at Ohana. We have some awesome pictures. The picture pack they try to sell you is a rip off unless it is a really great photo. It was $29.95 for the photo pack but the photo is just in front of an Ohana sign they set up. And they only let you use the photo on the photopass website if you purchase the pack. As far as the meal goes we though the eggs were ok but the waffles, bacon, sausage, fruit and cinnamon rolls were good.

I'm really enjoying your report so far! Congrats on the engagement, it sounds wonderful!

I did have a question, how do you plan the engagement package you mentioned? Is that something your fiancee requested, or was it just noted on the ADR?

We're going on a special trip in Feb and I'd love something like that.

Thanks!

Thanks for posting such great, detailed reviews. I really enjoyed reading them. Congratulations on your engagement, I can't believe they actually delayed the fireworks for you guys, that's so cool! party:

The best part was that we were there during fireworks time which was also something they were trying to work around so the fireworks would go off after he proposed and our pics were taken. Well the waiter got a little behind with bringing out the ring so they held the fireworks up in the park for 5 minutes.

Very cool. Congrats.

Fantastic reviews; thanks for taking the time! And congratulations on your engagement! :)

I'm really enjoying your report so far! Congrats on the engagement, it sounds wonderful!

I did have a question, how do you plan the engagement package you mentioned? Is that something your fiancee requested, or was it just noted on the ADR?

We're going on a special trip in Feb and I'd love something like that.

Thanks!

It is a preset package that my fiance purchased...I actually had seen info on it a while back on www.mousavers.com but it had been so long since I had seen it that everything was such a suprise to me bc I didn't remember any of the details.

Congrats on getting engaged! It sounded very romantic! Thanks for your reviews!

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Congrats to you both on the Engagement.

If someone needs some details on the package, PM me, and I'd be happy to share. (I'm the fiancee who booked it for to propose to LeesyUD) :love:

Dave

Thanks for the reviews. :thumbsup2

Glad to hear LeCellier was good. We are going to try it next trip I think.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter